Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG Maxogen Intake for 2.0TFSI  (Read 75577 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: ITG Maxogen Intake for 2.0TFSI
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »

I didn't know that ITG were quite so prolific in their intake production - I'm glad I raised the question.

[I still don't like the foam blocks though]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 09:33:27 am »
Great review Steve. :happy2:

I'd love to be able to get the ITG, Twintake, EVOMs and Dbilas on one car for the day with a Dyno to do some "level playing field" testing.

Id love to see that as well. realistically you would need to have about 3 dyno runs on each, vcds to reset the adaption on the ECU between each intake, and a dyno operator who wasnt going to charge the world to have it run. or a magazine article....

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:22 am »
Great review Steve  :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:26 pm »
lovely review  :happy2: Good to see you joining in the review fun  :signLOL:

that graph shows an incredible 'area under curve' gain at the top end  :laugh:  must just sing to the (new) redline.
(why the increased revs between the 2 graphs ? I ask as the original DSG software retards the ign pre redline and kills power for the pending change. )

Im a little confused as to how ITG get these good results and the Twintake still requires the 2 filters to get the same (in theory) gain.
Do you have a number on available filter area to allow comparison to the twintake ?

I also like the fact that your pictures show that the ITG is secured in 2 places between the filter and the inlet (3 if you include the foam at the battery) . the fixing above the exhaust heatshield was news to me  :happy2:

MAF figures very nice to have ,nice touch.

Having heard this fitted to Gaz's S3 I have to say it makes some lovely noises  :drool:

my only overriding issue with this is the fact its an oiled filter. Im not wishing to drag your review off topic but its the only thing that puts me off this. Im just not a great fan of this type, and  feel compelled to agree with TT thoughts on this subject  :surprised:
(not sure its gonna put me off buying one though  :signLOL:)

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 11:42:42 pm »
  Im a little confused as to how ITG get these good results and the Twintake still requires the 2 filters to get the same (in theory) gain

Dont let RR read that,  :scared: :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:10 am »

Im a little confused as to how ITG get these good results and the Twintake still requires the 2 filters to get the same (in theory) gain.
Do you have a number on available filter area to allow comparison to the twintake ?

....I think that most intake designs seeking high performance will be chasing what combines a large surface area of filtering media with the induction of the coolest possible air.

ITG and Forge have approached this slightly differently from each other. Obviously I don't want to sidetrack Steve's ITG review by going into lengthy details about the TWINtake here. The details of how and why the TWINtake works is quite lengthy and will be included in my forthcoming review in about a week.

Currently the ITG called Maxogen is the favourite to win any race for a highest performing intake award and a horse called Twintake is second favourite. We don't yet know horse Twintake's form and at best it might only be a dead heat.

Sy, I've just seen your post - Please don't think that I believe the Twintake to be the 'best' of the two - I don't - I have an open mind. We all have to see more about how both these intake solutions perform on a variety of cars. Either way, neither are at all shabby!

My personal choice of the Twintake has not been based on any negative opinions about the ITG's performance nor even any belief that the Twintake will perform any better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:05:29 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 12:19:22 am »
I have an open mind

:laugh:

6 and two 3's RR. both will be good. etto

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »
Great review Steve. :happy2:

I'd love to be able to get the ITG, Twintake, EVOMs and Dbilas on one car for the day with a Dyno to do some "level playing field" testing.

I agree that would be a great test to do  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »
lovely review  :happy2: Good to see you joining in the review fun  :signLOL:

that graph shows an incredible 'area under curve' gain at the top end  :laugh:  must just sing to the (new) redline.
(why the increased revs between the 2 graphs ? I ask as the original DSG software retards the ign pre redline and kills power for the pending change. )

I also like the fact that your pictures show that the ITG is secured in 2 places between the filter and the inlet (3 if you include the foam at the battery) . the fixing above the exhaust heatshield was news to me  :happy2:

MAF figures very nice to have ,nice touch.

Having heard this fitted to Gaz's S3 I have to say it makes some lovely noises  :drool:

my only overriding issue with this is the fact its an oiled filter. Im not wishing to drag your review off topic but its the only thing that puts me off this. Im just not a great fan of this type, and  feel compelled to agree with TT thoughts on this subject  :surprised:
(not sure its gonna put me off buying one though  :signLOL:)

Cheers John_o  :happy2:

The Dyno operator saw the power tailing off past 5.5k on the OEM airbox so that's why he didn't push it any further.

I never really like the idea of an oiled panel filter (partly because of T_T's comments) but after having the reasons for the oil explained in great detail by Andy @ ITG, plus seeing the inside of the original filter cone I ran for nearly 10k miles, was spotless inside the ali spinning, I can say now say I have no issues with the oiled filter.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55:27 pm »
plus seeing the inside of the original filter cone I ran for nearly 10k miles, was spotless inside the ali spinning, I can say now say I have no issues with the oiled filter.

Ill second that. When i put my new heat shield on it was clean as a whistle on the aluminium inside the filter

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 05:14:39 pm »
plus seeing the inside of the original filter cone I ran for nearly 10k miles, was spotless inside the ali spinning, I can say now say I have no issues with the oiled filter.

Ill second that. When i put my new heat shield on it was clean as a whistle on the aluminium inside the filter

I'll 3rd that, when I swapped to the new shield there was no signs of oil on the aluminium :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 05:57:12 pm »

I've been running an oiled ITG panel filter for nearly 50k miles. I discussed maintenance and the question of oil with Andy too and he completely satisfied me with his very helpful explanation.

However, in the case of the oiled ITG panel filter it does need either refurbishing or replacement after so many miles, he said. Refurbishing involves soaking in petrol etc IIRC and it all sounded too tedious for me with my limited skills and lack of equipment.

Is there any maintenance required for the oiled filter of the Maxogen intake reviewed?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 06:14:02 pm »
iirc(steve correct me if im wrong) its as you say. I believe its every 20000miles  Douse it in fuel(whilst smoking five cigarettes :scared:) massage it in allow fuel to evaporate, and the re-oil. That oil is disgusting though. Its really really thick and gets everywhere. but the filter sould last a long time

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »
Yep 20k is suggested interval and petrol is one suggestion but other cleaning agents are available I believe, as Simon says then using a spray can that ITG can supply you just re-oil the filter.  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 06:18:30 pm »
Andy very kindly sent me a can :smiley: