Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo DSG Software (Stage 2)  (Read 27368 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Revo DSG Software (Stage 2)
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »
Why

As the DSG gearbox is produced for the mass market of owners it's not going to be coded in a way that either best suits every driver's style or is designed in the way of making the most from the gearbox/engine combination. I think there is always going to be a bigger safty margin built in.

This said I was initially quiet skeptical about the benefits of DSG software upgrades when the news from the USA started to emerge about the likes of the very expensive HPA software upgrades.

But once the software started to appear over here and a certain Mr "mod mental" Hurdy got an upgrade from a different company I started to do some more research and then fully understood the benefits this can provide, not only modified cars like mine but any DSG based car.

So once i heard the worst keep secret of a few other owner having software from Revo and my previous remap supplier confirmed they had no immediate plans to do anything in this area I choice to swap remap providers ready for when their software became available.

(Top tip, never pop in to see Carl or Kev at Revo for a chat about DSG software as it can be very damaging to your wallet but makes one hell of the car  :laugh: :laugh:)

So once the production version of the software was finally made available I made my way over to Daventry to get the Stage 2 version of their software applied.

They currently offer the Stage 2 version for the K04 Stage 2+ or Big Turbo 2.0 TFSI cars.

Sourcing

Available directly from Revo or from their network of dealers. Full details can be found here - http://www.revotechnik.com/

This software has a Spectacular Introductory Special Offer: up to 31st December 2009 - 50% off the normal RRP for existing Revo customers: -

DSG (Stage1) £149 + VAT
DSG (Stage2) £199 + VAT

The software can also be used along side any other remap and for non Revo customers costs: -

DSG (Stage1) £299 + VAT
DSG (Stage2) £399 + VAT

Fitting

Normal laptop plug-in and wait while the software is downloaded.

Very easy process and just enough time to have a coffee and chat about what to spend your money on next.

Other versions

DSG Software is also available from the likes of GIAC and HPA at present.

Plus Points

Pretty much the feature list of the software: -

• No kick down in Manual Mode
  • No forced change up in Manual mode plus a 7400 rpm redline
  • Improved torque handling (increased to 500nm)
  • Increased shift speed
  • More "sportier" characteristics to the D and S modes (only effecting full throttle)
  • Increase Launch Control limit to 4000rpm
  • Rest of the flash counter when the software is applied

Another plus point is the additional power that has been released at the top of the rev range, with a remapped K04 car and the standard DSG software you will see the car forces the gear change at 6000rpm (with it pulling things back just before this in preparation for the change, typically my peak reading came at 5850 rpm), now you can cleanly rev past 7000rpm, so taking my recent dyno plot below you will see around another 15bhp is found at the top end.

Minus Points

To me there is real no minus points or negative aspects as such to this upgrade, the one small comment I would make is the increased shift speed does very slightly reduce the infamous DSG "barp" noise on gear changes.

The only other consideration is the normal impact to your warranty  :smiley:

Summary

So in summary I have now driven most day to day road scenarios I can think of and am delighted with the difference this had made to the car overall (nearly 2k miles on the production version of the software now)

The improvements in the manual mode are one of the top three best changes I have made to the car and believe this is how they should come out of the factory.

The car just feels more natural to drive now and really bridges the gap between the driver involvement of a manual car but with the benefits of an "auto" style box for more normal every day driving.

The way you can "bang" through the gears is amazing and the way you can downshift a gear much higher in the rev than before sounds great with the throttle "blip" when decelerating from higher speeds.

The "sportier" improvements to D mode have also really surprised me, I didn't have a very high expectation of these changes but have been really surprised how much better this mode has become in general, it's now feels more reactive in the right kind of way but doesn't affect the ability to cruise around all day in a "driving miss daisy" style if you so wished.

So I can really say I would highly recommend this to any owner with the superiour DSG gearbox, this will realy improve your car no matter what (if any) performance software you may have on your car.

:happy2:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:35:55 pm by SteveP »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Revo DSG Software (Stage 2)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »
Two reviews in one day.....you are spoiling us Steve :laugh:

As usual a great review, but who is this "mod mental" person you are talking about :innocent:

I'm awaiting the return of my car next week and will be keen to see whether or not I need to swap from GIAC to REVO or not :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:35:05 pm »

Great and full review. Sounds like a must-have!  :wink:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:32:31 am »
Nice review, sounds a must for the k04 car  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:41 am »
any owner with the superiour DSG gearbox

Nice write up but where can I find one of these...    :wink:   :smiley:

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:16:14 am »

....And hopefully someone will post a review for the K03 car in due course - What Revo call DSG Stage1. :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 03:26:46 pm »

....And hopefully someone will post a review for the K03 car in due course - What Revo call DSG Stage1. :happy2:
Is there any point with the k03 as it doesnt make the power at higher Rpm's?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:43:07 pm »
well u get the benefit of a "slightly" faster shift speed i guess, but i agree the whole point of the DSG remap in my view was to unleash the top end power that was sitting there waiting to be had on those K04 cars with S2+. You could see the difference it made clearly at the recent RR day we had down south.  K03 runs out of puff soon after 5k rpm so no point in doing this mod really.

Me and Neil M had a giggle over what another supplier offered in terms of DSG Remap (well it didn't allow the car to rev past the OEM change up setting for starters!) but hey ho he and car owner were happy with the after effects!  :signLOL:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:18:20 pm »
The real benefit for k03 cars is the manual mode being just that, manual witout auto upshifting. 

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 04:21:55 pm »
The real benefit for k03 cars is the manual mode being just that, manual witout auto upshifting.  

I can however see the point of the sometimes annoying kick down when you dont want it.

Fingers crossed Bluefin do something as that will be a Mod i would consider most deffinatly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:23:30 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 08:19:24 pm »

....Exactly that. It's also smoother on gearshifts and especially noticeable on 1st to 2nd to 3rd. But mine is still the pre-public release Stage1 version from March. Steve's review here is about stage2.

I usually shift gear at close to 5,000 revs anyway.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:07:50 pm »
You should find the stage 1 map is also a little "sportier" in gear selection in D than standard.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 11:18:04 pm »
nice Steve , I'm very jealous of you DSG owners, best of all worlds (quicker/higher torque limits) (until it breaks)
amazing how the manual vs dsg debate shifted.

I would be interested to learn more about how REVO achieve these results and whether any of these effect the component lifespans ?

e.g. increased torque limit , hows that done? (pump pressure I believe), will kit reduce the life of the pump?
       higher rev limit , is the std drivetrain up to it? (edit : valves / pistons / rods etc )
       how much extra does this extend you mph change points?

also would you recommend a DSG oil change prior to having this done?

John
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:37:10 pm by john_o »
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:24:18 pm »

You should find the stage 1 map is also a little "sportier" in gear selection in D than standard.

....Oooh, that'll be nice! I don't often use D but would prefer it sportier without being as strong as S-mode.

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »

nice Steve , I'm very jealous of you DSG owners, best of all worlds (quicker/higher torque limits) (until it breaks)
amazing how the manual vs dsg debate shifted.

I would be interested to learn more about how REVO achieve these results and whether any of these effect the component lifespans ?

e.g. increased torque limit , hows that done? (pump pressure I believe), will kit reduce the life of the pump?
       higher rev limit , is the std drivetrain up to it?
       how much extra does this extend you mph change points?

also would you recommend a DSG oil change prior to having this done?

John

....I had a long list of exactly those questions plus more when I was first asked to test. Revo didn't give me any specific answers except to reassure me that all would be ok and asking me to give them feedback.

I think the principles of how the DSG software works is very similar to the remapping of the ECU and Revo take very special care to keep everything within safe parameters. If they were to take risks in such aspects and something went wrong it would be extremely expensive for the good reputation on which they trade. But it would still be interesting to know - Just don't hold your breath.

Strangely enough I think that DSG boxes might even be more durable because of all the self-protective mechanisms.