Make a donation

Author Topic: Brakes grinding/sticking - HELP PLEASE!?!?!?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Brakes grinding/sticking - HELP PLEASE!?!?!?
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »
This has happened twice now.........

Driving along and when going over a small bump in the road there is a 'clunk' noise comes from the front of the car, after this there is the sound of what I am assuming the pads or something catching on the brake disc, however it does get louder when turning?

First time was last night, when it happened I pulled into a car park, and rang for AA assistance. When the bloke arrived he had a look at the front wheels and brakes said there was nothing visually wrong but would like me to drive around the car park to have a listen to the noise and try and find out what it was, as soon as I reversed out of the space the noise was gone and everything seemed normal so the chap said as there was alot of salt on the roads, maybe a piece of grit had got caught in the caliper and reversing dislodged it, so being of minimal mechanical knowledge I took his word for it a drove home all being fine on the way.

Then driving along tonight and the same thing happened was very close to home so I thought, I'll get the car home and try and get it sorted from there, so I carried on for maybe a mile with the grinding/squealing noise carrying on all the way, then when I was about 20 metres from my house the car 'stopped itself', it seemed as though the majority of the braking was coming from the front offside wheel. As I was in the middle of the road and the car wouldn't go forward willingly, I thought I'd try and reverse and move the car closer to the kerb, which like the previous night, seemed free things up so I drove the car the remaining 20 metres and parked it outside my house, called the AA, again, and a mechanic came and looked at it, and the same as the previous night, had a look at the front wheels and brakes said there was nothing visually wrong but would like me to drive around the block so as soon as I reversed the car off my drive the noise was gone and everything seemed fine. So he said there was nothing he could do and left.

Obviously I am a little concerned about driving the car, should this happen again, so any help would be massively appreciated  :happy2:
C63
SQ5

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Brakes grinding/sticking - HELP PLEASE!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:56:58 pm »
Standard brakes??

The caliper sliders can cause the pad to stick, they get a bit dry and grotty over time. I'd strip, grease and rebuild - having a good look at everything whilst you do for anything odd.
Sideways yo!

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »
^^^^^ Yeah standard brakes but with Zero Sixty grooved and dimpled discs and Hawk HPS pads.
C63
SQ5

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
Took my car down to the local dealer this morning to have the brakes checked out and when they took the caliper apart to check to see what was wrong they found a bolt inside the caliper  :surprised:

Sorry for poor quality iPhone pics.........

Master tech said he'd never seen anything so large get lodged inside a caliper before, I'm just glad it's all sorted now  :happy2:
C63
SQ5

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »
How?  Glad it is sorted!

Blimey...........

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:26:42 pm »
thats pretty bad i wonder how it got there, bet your glad thats sorted
Still Here!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:53 am »
That's an odd thing to find - but I suppose an easy fix to your problem!!
Sideways yo!