Make a donation

Author Topic: life after mk5, have 6k what to get  (Read 6124 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: life after mk5, have 6k what to get
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »
I'd avoid the Type-R's Steve. My only reason being a friend has one is Red on an 05 (facelift ep3) and does very little miles in it, something like 2,000 a year. Where it's sat on his drive from being in the sun, he's got very pink rear quarter panels. That alone was enough to put me off them :chicken:

If I had that cash, I'd be looking at the suggestions so far which are sensible, the 225 TT, a Meggy 225 & so on... I've had a Renault before and it did have problems, but nothing too troublesome. Took a real hammering too.

Personally with £6k though I'd get a 3door Mk4 Golf GT TDi 130 - decent fuel economy, lighter than the Mk5 and a map will see 170hp ish? Perhaps not fun but that'd be where my investment would go. Might just have the low end torque of the GTI for overtaking etc?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline gtisteve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »
Thanks,I'm starting to steer away from the r but not still keep goin back to the 330 sport,or impreza, but both shoking mpg,the mk4 in my eyes has had its day,and tts are incredibly overpriced,

the megan and leon are feasible and will need to try before i buy,

The leftfield alternative is a mr2 turbo lol, altho winter is not kind to 250+ matchboxes.
Celica gt4 isnt going to go down with the chicks.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »
Thanks,I'm starting to steer away from the r but not still keep goin back to the 330 sport,or impreza, but both shoking mpg,the mk4 in my eyes has had its day,and tts are incredibly overpriced,

The leftfield alternative is a mr2 turbo lol, altho winter is not kind to 250+ matchboxes.

I used to think that but having driven a few recently I've changed my opinion. The MK4's are far better built and engineered than the MK5. Get yourself a clean MK4 Anniversary and it will be pretty much depreciation proof and a dream to drive!  :happy2:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »
225 megs are not the best mate, if you do make sure it has cup pack, lots don't. Cupra r would be my choice if you want 4 seats.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »

I used to think that but having driven a few recently I've changed my opinion. The MK4's are far better built and engineered than the MK5. Get yourself a clean MK4 Anniversary and it will be pretty much depreciation proof and a dream to drive!  :happy2:

Agreed Nath. I think it'll be a while before the MK4 TDIs have little purpose. You don't see many anniversary models around now (both petrol or diesel) so bit of exclusivity there too.

Be worth having on your list as an economic option Steve if none of the others tickle your fancy.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:28 pm »

I used to think that but having driven a few recently I've changed my opinion. The MK4's are far better built and engineered than the MK5. Get yourself a clean MK4 Anniversary and it will be pretty much depreciation proof and a dream to drive!  :happy2:

Thats not a bad shout. Still think the Cupra R is worth a look  :smiley:
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:40 pm »
If you've not had a Cupra R then thet are worth a look, great looking and great value for what you get.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:12:13 am by neg »

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:35 am »
I had a cupra R as it had a much better ride/handling mix than any other mk4 based product. I simply would not own a mk4 at the time due to the handling. The Cupra R imo was the best of the bunch. The R32 i found too hard with no handling benifit over the cupra R but thats just my opinion. If its bragging rights that float your boat It was also faster round the topgear test track than the mk5/type R at the time they first reviewed the mk5 if you look at the time board of that topgear program which they conveniently forgot to show just a fleeting glance of it. :grin: I would own another mk1 leon again without question, i liked both of ours.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.