Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag Fault  (Read 985 times)

Jong

Airbag Fault
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:24:53 am »
I bought a Mk5 Golf about a year and a half ago and have since done about 10K miles.

Yesterday I drove home from work, everything was fine. later on I went for a drive and the Airbag warning light stayed on, with "airbag fault" on the display. I read online that its a common problem and that the under seat wiring could be at fault. I checked under the passenger seat and found a Yellow connector which attached to a wire spool connecting to the seat.  The weird thing is the Yellow plug all of the wires have been cut and the other end of the 3 wires are not pulled through to the are of the Yellow connector.

Any ideas why this would have been cut and why now after 10k miles its giving a warning, not before. I assume that this was cut for a reason but no idea why and if I should attempt to reconnect. Can this be reset somehow or would I need tp go tp a dealer / buy a connector ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Airbag Fault
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:05:17 am »
Common problem. The last owner probably cut the plug and soldered direct to eliminate the original airbag light fault.

Chances are like me, you were hovering or picking something up under the seat and just barely hit off the connection.

If you go to VW direct they'll look to redo the entire wiring loom the whole way back.

Get VCDS and delete the error. It probably won't come back again but if it does then the solder is probably cracked and the connection is intermittent which means you'll need to revisit the connection and either fix or replace.

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Airbag Fault
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:31 pm »
This happened to me when I was hoovering the car out.
Next day airbag light was on !!
Had error deleted at local VW  independent light now off.