Make a donation

Author Topic: A little help identifying a vacuum hose  (Read 2076 times)

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
A little help identifying a vacuum hose
« on: November 30, 2022, 01:04:14 pm »
Hi all, I'm having trouble identifying this vacuum hose highlighted with the red lines, I was wondering if anyone can help?

As you can see from the tape, I found a crack where the pipe connects to the nipple, while trying to find a part number of the pipe it started hissing, then popped off  :grin:. One end goes off to the right side of the engine block, the other end goes off under the wiper/scuttle tray. I don't think it's the brake booster, so I'm a little at a loss as to what it is as I can't find a part number on the hose and I'm loathed to mess with it more incase it brakes off completely.

Thanks!

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
Re: A little help identifying a vacuum hose
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 01:35:04 pm »
That is the brake vacuum pipe
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:37:12 pm by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 01:39:51 pm »
1K2612041K

rotate image 180 degrees for correct orientation

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:42:19 pm by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:45:57 pm »
Mine broke off, not sure for how long but never noticed anything. I had a misfire at the time because of a dead injector so could have hidden the symptoms. I just put a samco silicone vacuum hose on, cost about 8 quid or so. Been on over a year now with no issues. Not that there is anything wrong with the genuine part, just a nice easy cheap fix that worked great.

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 01:59:26 pm »
1K2612041K

rotate image 180 degrees for correct orientation
[/url]

I think that's the other half of the pipe, as seen here;

This female end of the pipe is OK, it's the male hose that pushs into that end which is broken, maybe you can get both sections as one part?

Mine broke off, not sure for how long but never noticed anything. I had a misfire at the time because of a dead injector so could have hidden the symptoms. I just put a samco silicone vacuum hose on, cost about 8 quid or so. Been on over a year now with no issues. Not that there is anything wrong with the genuine part, just a nice easy cheap fix that worked great.

Thats the one :D mine has cracked the same way, the last few wiggles finished it off. I don't have any silicone hose, but I don't mind fitting an OE part, I just need to find the correct part number.

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 05:11:03 pm »
I think I've found it, the part number is 1K0612041CJ  :thinking:

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 03:17:13 pm »
I got the part, but for the life of me I can't remove the end of the old pipe that sits on the block, it won't budge for toffee. It rotates in position, but won't come out, am I missing a trick here?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 03:30:01 pm »
I got the part, but for the life of me I can't remove the end of the old pipe that sits on the block, it won't budge for toffee. It rotates in position, but won't come out, am I missing a trick here?

I had trouble as well and I think it does pull off but needs a surprising amount of force. I may have carefully used some pliers and a Stanley in the end but with surgeon precision to not damage the end it attaches to. Just be careful if you do get fed up and decide to take drastic action like I did. Disclaimer - not my fault if you f*ck it up :grin:

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 03:36:49 pm »
Thanks for the first hand experience  :happy2:

It's on there really well, I was pulling with one hand and levering with a screwdriver and it barely moved a couple of mm, I had to walk away from it three times as I feared brute force and ignorance were about to see things escalate.

Funny thing is I broke a plastic radiator hose connector while laying over the engine bay trying to get access, so the car is now stuck on the drive until a new one of those arrives any way, bloody thing!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 04:28:42 pm »
You need heat to pull those plastic hoses off the barbed fittings.

Top tip: trim off the cracked section, heat up the good section with a heat gun, slide it back onto the fitting. Job done  :happy2:  The cost of that whole hose from VW is unsurprisingly, very steep!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 05:12:28 pm »

Top tip: trim off the cracked section, heat up the good section with a heat gun, slide it back onto the fitting. Job done  :happy2:  The cost of that whole hose from VW is unsurprisingly, very steep!

Are you suggesting I leave the old barbed part in the engine? Access is pretty awful down there, I doubt I could get a heat gun in without taking out the battery and a bunch of other pipe work  :sick:.

It's this end that won't pop off, even though it would seemingly be the easiest as it has no visible clips.

Offline DrDroopy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 01:08:12 pm »
Half a can of WD40 with incessant tugging and turning, the plastic and rubber sections parted company allowing me to remove it. The old rubber part came off with a pick and the new pipe section is now on.

What a bloody drama over a simple pipe  :grin:

Offline Grevling89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 11:06:30 pm »
Half a can of WD40 with incessant tugging and turning, the plastic and rubber sections parted company allowing me to remove it. The old rubber part came off with a pick and the new pipe section is now on.

What a bloody drama over a simple pipe  :grin:

Well, as the old saying goes - if you can't fix it with gaff tape or WD40, you simply haven't used enough.
2007 MK V - Pearl Black - 5 door - Happily stock

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 11:17:06 pm »

Are you suggesting I leave the old barbed part in the engine? Access is pretty awful down there, I doubt I could get a heat gun in without taking out the battery and a bunch of other pipe work  :sick:.

It's this end that won't pop off, even though it would seemingly be the easiest as it has no visible clips.

No you'd need to remove the entire hose to do it properly if access is too tight, but it comes out easily enough.  It just saves you having to replace the entire thing which is £££s.  You can of course bridge the gap with rubber or silicon hose as above, but my concern is there is a LOT of vacuum put through that pipe, hence it's rigid plastic construction, and when it comes to brakes, you really don't want soft hosing collapsing under the vacuum.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D