Make a donation

Author Topic: Gearshift issues? Part 2  (Read 3214 times)

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
Gearshift issues? Part 2
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:18:47 pm »
Following on from this thread:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5471.0

The boys at Volkswagen Racing have sorted my car  :congrats:

Whilst this has been a time consuming effort and at times a frustrating one, my car is now back to normal health.
I'm back on the standard shift now, awaiting the arrival of the newly designed quickshift for 08 onwards cars.

Having spent a long time speaking with both Matt and Sam of VWRacing on Wednesday and yesterday when I collected the car, it is clear to see that they are both passionate about what they do.

Before Robin, interjects with "I told you so", which I fear is coming  :sleepy:
I never had doubt in what they do, just how they did it.

I know that both Sam and Matt would say that things could/should have been handled differently, but lessons have been learnt and I will be keen to benefit from that.

Would I recommend VWR? Yes, I would, I don't think there are many places that know the MK5 quite as well as they do and for that reason, mine will be going there for all servicing needs in the future... and maybe some modifications if I can convince finance manager (the wife!).

Whilst I look forward to the new enhanced quickshift, I'm now able to drive my car with full confidence once again that it won't have issues with the gear selection.

So, Matt and Sam, Thank you for sorting my car. I appreciate the time spent by both of you talking with me on Wednesday/Friday and I'll be in touch as soon as the car needs it's service. :happy2:
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Gearshift issues? Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »
Glad to hear that Lee. I'm still having problems with mine. Forge sent me the revised part for 08MY cars, but it still didn't fit properly.

I seem to have outward extending plastic where I should have metal 'C' clips, it seems that the design of my shifter assembly is completely different to anything that Forge have encountered before........ :stupid:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:58:45 pm »

Glad it's sorted, Coco :happy2: (no further comment from me necessary :evilgrin:)

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 05:00:19 pm »
Good news Lee  :congrats:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
Lee, how long was your car off the road?

And you are now back to stock awaiting the new short shifter? Is it in the linked post? But why did it seemingly take so long to return it to stock?

Glad your saga is over with, though if I'm reading this all correctly, you must have the paitence of a saint.

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:33:26 pm »
To be fair, it was never really "off the road", it was still useable, although it had a very disconcerting gearchange whilst the plastic bush was missing.

All sorted now though.

Patience of a saint? hmmmm not normally!  :grin:
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »
i was vwr this morning as they wanted to check mine on the roc, was good to see what the issue was when compared to an older GTI and what had changed on later models, vwr managed to pop mine ot of 6th (i've had no issues) so have put standard one back on, having driven it home looking forward to the revised one as its such a sweet mod, thanks to Matt for suggesting an intersting venue for them to take a look  :happy2: