Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP Light permanently on :S  (Read 9890 times)

Offline masemk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: ESP Light permanently on :S
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/wheel-bearing-sensor/index.php

For anyone with the abs and esp lights together, that web link looks spot on.  Sounds very similar to my symptoms!  After service front brake caliper was seized and generating heat with disc and pads rubbing whilst driving.  maybe that's done a sensor in...well just got to take it back again to find out.  Another 300 quid to sort out sickens me.  time to get rid of car I think!

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »

It recently had a service and had new brake discs and pads and caliper on rear.  Then I had to go back because the front caliper seized and they needed replaced and pads on front too.
You think any of that could be linked?  Am gonna go arrange for someone to see it tomorrow.  But am not sure about the garage who done the service as Ive spent £1000 there since the service a month ago on new parts and labour and still needing to go back for more work!  

Also the car is a bit slow to start on cold mornings, I wondered if the battery might be needing replaced and that could be linked, no?

Suppose these are questions to tell someone who looks at it!  but good to be armed with a bit of knowledge beforehand

No I seriously doubt the car being slow to start has anything to do with the ABS and ESP light being on.
As I mentioned you probably have a wheel sensor gone.
You really need to plug into a diagnostic machine to see what's being reported and go from there. If it's a speed sensor verify by measuring live data. It only takes 20 minutes to get a speed sensor out and you can tell if it's buggered as it would likely be mashed to hell. If not then verify wiring and what not.
Take it one step at time...don't over think things!

edit: Likewise a seized caliper is unlikely to affect it either. I had a seriously seized caliper and my speed sensor was OK. i think it's just bad luck/unfortunate timing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:38:29 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »
After having a mate scan my car its come up with exactly the same code as other people have had..

01435 brake pressure sensor one (g201) and also 012 fault in circuit..   Is it try vw first to see if they will fix this under a warranty claim?  Apologies for sounding stupid like.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:05 pm »
After having a mate scan my car its come up with exactly the same code as other people have had..

01435 brake pressure sensor one (g201) and also 012 fault in circuit..   Is it try vw first to see if they will fix this under a warranty claim?  Apologies for sounding stupid like.

Go in and say you've got this issue and say you've read it has been on watchdog and that vw will fix for free if its the fault code they recognise as being the 2003-2008 pump issue so can they scan it and confirm.

If you're anywhere near Telford, they do it for free and know all about it

Offline sootpig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
andyp Contact your local dealer and tell them you have the G201 "inherent fault" with the ABS pump
 It is up to them to either accept or reject your claim If they accept alls good If they reject ask them to be very specific as to why they are rejecting your claim
 See my previous post :happy2:

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »
Ill go in tomorrow if i can and ask about it, i go in that often.. they know me by first name!! hahaha

Cheers for clearing it up..  now to sort the rest of the small niggles!!

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:43 pm »
Went to order this part this morning...
I live in Southern Ireland.
Dealer in uk wants 160 allin plus shipping of 20 quid..brand new...215 euro altogether
Dealer local to me wants 297 euro plus vat ....365 euro altogether
How the hell can that be if they all work off the same price list vw set.???
Has me thinking the uk dealer is selling me a recon unit or the local guy is trying to rip me off..
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
Went Into dealers, enquired and showed them the fault code, car booked in and fixed earlier as it is a 'goodwill' gesture recall as they do know about this issue so repair kit now fitted foc.  Win

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 02:19:19 pm »
Result...wish they where as sympathic here!!!
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 05:16:28 pm »
Went Into dealers, enquired and showed them the fault code, car booked in and fixed earlier as it is a 'goodwill' gesture recall as they do know about this issue so repair kit now fitted foc.  Win

Great result mate, well done :happy2:

Offline masemk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:18 pm »
Mine was rear wheel bearing and abs wheel sensor gone mangled.  Spent far too much on this car last few months!  Nightmare

Offline rallycross

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 08:18:23 am »
I've had this ESP failt due to the ABS system on 2 of my mk5 Golfs, the first one was done under warranty good will as the car was 10% main dealer service history and was just over 5 yrs old, the other one they would not do it and was going to be very expensive, so my local garage fixed it using the repair kit from TPS, total cost was under £300.