Make a donation

Author Topic: Rattle and Loud noise at 5k rpm  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Rattle and Loud noise at 5k rpm
« on: September 18, 2015, 06:36:20 pm »
Ever since I have had my standard Mk5 Golf Gti there has always been a rattling noise, seemingly from the front of the engine at around 4,000 - 5,000rpm. It sounds quite metalic, and hasn't got any worse.

Then at around 5,200rpm the engine suddenly gets a lot louder and dosn't feel very smooth. Any ideas as to what could cause these noises?

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Rattle and Loud noise at 5k rpm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:10:45 pm »
Been doing a bit of searching on the net, but can't find anything to match this noise, which is staring to get on my nerves really.

I was wondering if it could be either to do with the top part of the air intake scoop being missing and I'm hearing the re-circulation valve, or maybe it's the actuator rattle that I'm told these suffer from?

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »
Ok, the noise remains, but twice in the last week I have started the car in gear, with the clutch down and the car has tried to lurch fowards. I haven't had any clutch slip and as far as I can hear there's no release bearing noises, but it must be a clutch/release bearing kind of issue hasn't it?

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
 :worthless: OR A VIDEO  :signLOL:

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:11:19 pm »
Sorry about the slow reply again, been busy and have been having trouble getting a decent recording of the noise!

But today I started the car in gear, with the clutch down and the car shot backwards I took it out of gear and re-started, but couldn't get a gear until I again restarted in first! After that the car drove ok and I could easily get all 6 gears. So it really must be the clutch/release bearing, as the sound does come from that area.

Also coming home I drove through about a foot of water and afterwards the brake pedal was absolutely solid. Never had that before!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:52:32 pm »
No worries at all  :smiley:

Could well be the release bearing if you're in gear with clutch down and the car just shot back on you.
I'd also get the clutch and flywheel checked once opened as you may also need these replaced and it's advisable to do so if you've not had them replaced for a couple of years and for piece of mind. So no chances of failing if it is the bearing and you have this replaced as I'm sure you can understand my concern for your car and purse/wallet  :happy2:

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:13:48 pm »
Cheers, yea I expect I will get it all done and out of the way. What would be a rough cost from a decent independent garage?

Just had a look under the bonnet checking all the levels etc and after turning off the engine I noticed a hissing noise from the right side of the engine that I hadn't heard before. it lasted about 10 seconds before eventually fading away.

Sadly I'm going to have to sell the car after it's sorted as I never seem to catch up with the constant bills. Someone is going to get a bloody good car :( :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:41:43 pm by Allyc85 »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »
Hi, off the top of my head and if you can find someone decent and honey enough then I'd say around £250 labour costs depending on what city you reside in as ive found London to be extortionate with the pricing but I guess we've all got to pay the sky high bills some how.

That could be the charcoal canister on the right but can't be 100%  I'd need to hear foe myself really. when I knock mine off it hisses for a second or two and that's it.

It's a shame when there's money to be spent and it's time to sell up as I've been there a few times in my youth and nearly had to sell this beauty due to unforeseen circumstances and a twit of a manager I had.

Regards

R5

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:10 pm »
Turns out the clutch issue was a leaking o-ring on a hose to the master cylinder. As is typical these days you have to buy the whole bloomin pipe, but I can settle for that instead of a £500+ bill! Didn't get a chance to see about the noise, but I'll be selling up soon anyway!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »
Glad you finally have the problem resolved   :smiley:

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »
Turns out it's not fixed, it's back in the garage and I face another weekend in a mighty Mk1, Ford Ka..

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »
oh crappy doo  :sad1:

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:34:20 pm »
Turns out it was air getting into the clutch fluid system, through either the bleed port or one of the pipes from the master cylinder to clutch. It's been a week or so, and the fault seems to have gone away :)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:01 pm »
Good news  :happy2: hope it stays that way  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:20:31 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Allyc85

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:21 pm »
Aaaaand the clutch is dragging again  :confused: I guess they will have the gearbox out this time and see what's on in there?!