Make a donation

Author Topic: R5GTT'S Cars rapid  (Read 244156 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: R5GTT'S TFSI OEM +
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2016, 04:40:32 pm »
Sorry, pressed post halfway through. Restarted my comment in next post. I'm a bit cack-handed on my phone!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2016, 05:45:54 pm »
You mean the one single topic on TFSI Tuning where about 3 people have said that they are ok, including you, and 1 person has said their pump failed within 10k KM? And it seems to be only you fighting their corner having asked the guy a few questions last night and him come back with typical sales talk?  :P :signLOL: (Facebook search actually works nowadays  :grin:)

Same risk as the autotech or any other internals. On a K03 or K04 application, ANY of the HPFP or internals will be up to the job

It only feels right because it's the cheapest out there
lmao no it was good you found it as I did tell peskyjones to have a look but yes I'm fighting the corner because I believe the 10k issue must have been caused by hammering the car and not replacing the cam follower but could also be wrong  :signLOL:

I'm willing to take a risk as ive seen the product and like what I see in comparison to the autotech or others in all honesty. not because it's cheap €350 but it's different and running on a 500+bhp car.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »
How many people on here have any experience of these pumps, let alone any actual positive experience?

It's an unknown. Your risk.
I'm willing like anything else  :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2016, 06:04:34 pm »
Don't get internals dude. Watch out for the back pressure
back presure ?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2016, 06:04:44 pm »
The horsepower is largely irrelevant.

Here's an analogy: An Edition 30 running 320bhp on the standard downpipe, cat and exhaust. So the oem exhaust is a good solution, right? No. EGTs are through the roof and the turbo is being forced to work its bollocks off.

My last word on this. I knew pretty much f**k all about the right and wrong mods for TFSI engines before I bought my GTI and joined this site, although I did have a fundamental understanding of the principles of tuning and maintenance having been into cars for yonks, just like you. Since I joined, I researched things like mad on here, learnt loads, asked questions, learnt even more, identified the bods that really knew their stuff and really valued their comments, but most importantly I will always stand up and pay attention to the consensus on here. It's what the forum is for. It's a collection of knowledge, with the extra value of (mostly) impartial discussion on top. It's not sales talk. It's not two blokes down the pub. Take from that what you will.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »
I haven't seen any mention of VIS internals on any of the FB groups?

Up to you r5gtt and if you think its right for you, go for it - you seem confident it is a good idea  :happy2:
I'm at work but check out tfsi tuning on FB bro they've replied to a question on a post I made regarding VIS   :happy2:.

I feel it's right to do this and will update on progress as you know.  :P

Yeah I'm on that group..I'll check it out now.

:happy2:
It's a Romanian thing  :signLOL: I'd say its well lathed in comparison with a bigger head.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:48 pm »
The horsepower is largely irrelevant.

Here's an analogy: An Edition 30 running 320bhp on the standard downpipe, cat and exhaust. So the oem exhaust is a good solution, right? No. EGTs are through the roof and the turbo is being forced to work its bollocks off.

My last word on this. I knew pretty much f**k all about the right and wrong mods for TFSI engines before I bought my GTI and joined this site, although I did have a fundamental understanding of the principles of tuning and maintenance having been into cars for yonks, just like you. Since I joined, I researched things like mad on here, learnt loads, asked questions, learnt even more, identified the bods that really knew their stuff and really valued their comments, but most importantly I will always stand up and pay attention to the consensus on here. It's what the forum is for. It's a collection of knowledge, with the extra value of (mostly) impartial discussion on top. It's not sales talk. It's not two blokes down the pub. Take from that what you will.
I know it not about horsey power AJP but imagine the engine spinning like a mo f* and that cam follower pumping in and out so mamy thousand revolutions per minute and there's a bigger end pushing on the follower instead of a thin piece of metal that will poke through it rather than a flat base pushing on it. This is why I'm opting for this one and not a autotech loba or APR and since I've found it I may as well give it a shot as this maybe the way forward.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2016, 08:48:28 pm »
Well, I hope it works for you pal.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »
Thanks AJP it's worth a shot as loba autotech and APR fail so why not see what happens as I'm usually right about my instincts and have never bought something that failed on me iA.  :wink:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2016, 11:09:17 pm »
I hope it works out for you mate, I really do. Like I said on insta I'd be listening to what Nikki says. He tunes these engines and you want him to tune yours. There is a value in buying what people trust and have used before. I have come across tuners that refuse to touch cars with unknown/budget upgraded parts. Last thing they want is their name accociated with a blown up car after they have tuned it. You could get a generic map instead of using R-Teck as there are a lot of good reviews about Geoffs mega power remap service on line and Geoff says he does a really good job. It's only £200 as well  :grin:

Every product on the market has good and bad reviews and every person selling them will say how much better their product is than everyone else's. For the want of £150 is it really worth the risk? Are you that sure you can get the internals installed that accurately you won't have issues that could cause devastating problems? There is a genuine concern that what you plan to do will turn out badly. No one wants to see you searching for a bargain replacement engine.

It's your car and do what you want to do but for £150, is it really worth it?  :drinking:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:30 am »
I know it not about horsey power AJP but imagine the engine spinning like a mo f* and that cam follower pumping in and out so mamy thousand revolutions per minute and there's a bigger end pushing on the follower instead of a thin piece of metal that will poke through it rather than a flat base pushing on it. This is why I'm opting for this one and not a autotech loba or APR and since I've found it I may as well give it a shot as this maybe the way forward.
Dude - the thin piece of metal pushes up and down laterally many many thousands of times a minute against the cam follower. What you want is the least 'mass' possible so there is less stress in the form of a moving mass. You do not require additional strength here. When was the last time you saw a follower wear through on the pump side? Or the internals snap due to the loads exhibited on them by the camshaft (except in cases of total failure caused through seizing which will snap ANY pump internals)?

The tolerances once fitted are the biggest concern - too big and it'll leak, too tight and it will heat seize and destroy the pump and camshaft. Without checking the pump or fitting the internals in a brand new pump you are taking a chance - nothing more or less - a chance/risk and hoping it is ok. Kinda like fitting new a new turbine and bearing in a turbo, re-assembling it and hoping it'll be ok without balancing.

The LOBA and APR pumps are assembled and checked to ensure they are spot-on. Given that the cost of these internals plus a new pump work out similar to a new LOBA it baffles me why people go down this route.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:59:22 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2016, 09:00:56 am »
Thanks AJP it's worth a shot as loba autotech and APR fail so why not see what happens as I'm usually right about my instincts and have never bought something that failed on me iA.  :wink:

Law of averages says with the sheer number of HPFP made that a few will be defective or fail. Same story with Miltek, they make good systems but a few fail and some tar them with the sh*tty stick.

Tell me how many of the aforementioned pumps have failed in relation to the number produced/built/re built....im hazarding a guess its in the many tens of thousands produced world wide and a handful that failed, most failures are cam follower related and not pumps and of the pumps that failed how many had their internals changed by a Billy no mates in his shed.

You could get a generic map instead of using R-Teck as there are a lot of good reviews about Geoffs mega power remap service on line and Geoff says he does a really good job. It's only £200 as well  :grin:

Tell me more about Geoff  :popcornsoda:...not sure why I take all trouble to travel the length of the country to see Niki when this chap is obviously better and cheaper! 

(Does Geoff build pumps too?) :wink:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2016, 09:27:56 am »
I know you guys are trying to help me and prevent disaster striking but the more I read into this I think it's a good idea.
Yes only two years into development but if the seller is running this without any issues this should be fine. I'd say it's like anything we'd buy off a tuner reputable or an unheard of company. people buy producys off creation motor sport and how many of you think their products have been rigorously tested?. I've brought many things off them in the past and all okay so far.

Please donr take offence as I intend to offend no one.

clearence at top of piston 0.001-0.00015
-deviation of circularity max 0.001mm
-370-450hb before rectification
-nitrided at depth of 0.15-0..25
-hardness of hv10-760-860 kgf/mm2 after nitriding
-34mocr11 stas 791-1988 special aged steel

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2016, 09:35:48 am »
I hope it works out for you mate, I really do. Like I said on insta I'd be listening to what Nikki says. He tunes these engines and you want him to tune yours. There is a value in buying what people trust and have used before. I have come across tuners that refuse to touch cars with unknown/budget upgraded parts. Last thing they want is their name accociated with a blown up car after they have tuned it. You could get a generic map instead of using R-Teck as there are a lot of good reviews about Geoffs mega power remap service on line and Geoff says he does a really good job. It's only £200 as well  :grin:

Every product on the market has good and bad reviews and every person selling them will say how much better their product is than everyone else's. For the want of £150 is it really worth the risk? Are you that sure you can get the internals installed that accurately you won't have issues that could cause devastating problems? There is a genuine concern that what you plan to do will turn out badly. No one wants to see you searching for a bargain replacement engine.

It's your car and do what you want to do but for £150, is it really worth it?  :drinking:
Cheers mate, it's all about learning curve an all that I'd say.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:28 am »
I know you guys are trying to help me and prevent disaster striking but the more I read into this I think it's a good idea.
Yes only two years into development but if the seller is running this without any issues this should be fine. I'd say it's like anything we'd buy off a tuner reputable or an unheard of company. people buy producys off creation motor sport and how many of you think their products have been rigorously tested?. I've brought many things off them in the past and all okay so far.

Please donr take offence as I intend to offend no one.

clearence at top of piston 0.001-0.00015
-deviation of circularity max 0.001mm
-370-450hb before rectification
-nitrided at depth of 0.15-0..25
-hardness of hv10-760-860 kgf/mm2 after nitriding
-34mocr11 stas 791-1988 special aged steel

Difference with CM is that pretty much everything they sell is a copy or rip off of somebody else's product, where the R&D has been done. They simply sell them cheaper as they have no R&D costs to account for, just production.

Those specs are simply manufacturing tolerances, what matters is the state of the pump they are being fitted to and how warn that is. If you fitted these internals (correctly) to a brand new pump then everything would be grand.

No offence taken, just offering friendly advice. Hope it works out for you if this is the path you choose to go down
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales