Make a donation

Author Topic: Wax question neewbie  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Jonnyed30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Wax question neewbie
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:36:05 pm »
Hi just after some advice if possible. I wanna give my car a coat of wax and was wondering what's the best easiest to use for a first timer. I normally just wash my car with the 2 bucket method then dry and then polish with autoglym ultra deep shine. My question is after iv polished and waxed my car the next time I wash it do i need to apply more polish to the car as iv read some waxes can last for months. So after its washed what's the process. My car is black if that makes any difference. Thanks

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Wax question neewbie
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:28 pm »
I get good results with Autoglym SRP then Autoglym HD Wax.

Being honest, the last time I did it was probably November, but it still beads nicely and repels water after a simple wash even now after all the crap weather.

I think if you wanted to maintain the wax and add a bit of extra shine after a wash you could use a quick detailer. Meguires do a good one.

If you used the SRP instead that would probably remove the wax, so you'd want to top up with wax again.

Really impressed with the HD Wax though, it's dead easy to use (you get a couple of foam applicator pads and a microfibre in the box) and the protection lasts for ages. I think it's a combination of carnauba and synthetic waxes.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »
You should see a good 3 months with AutoGlym HD wax. You would not need to reapply wax after a wash, just use a quick detail spray whilst drying to reduce water spots. Super Resin Polish and HD Wax are a perfect combo. It would be worth using a claybar kit before applying SRP to get a really good bond to the paint work. The claybar kit will remove heavy dirt/contaniment residue on the paint work that a normal wash doesnt remove leaving a glass smooth finish  :drool:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:45 pm »
I would strongly recommend something like FK1000P or Fusso, they last ages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jonnyed30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:06:27 am »
Cheers that makes sense I will try them products and see how it goes. I did wonder what the benefit of wax was but I'm thinking its a protective layer after polishing. So I don't need to polish or re wax after every wash then just use a detailing spray after washing to keep it shiney. Thanks

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »
I use super resin polish and dodo juice blue velvet on my Shadow Blue. Can't fault it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
Cheers that makes sense I will try them products and see how it goes. I did wonder what the benefit of wax was but I'm thinking its a protective layer after polishing. So I don't need to polish or re wax after every wash then just use a detailing spray after washing to keep it shiney. Thanks
That's pretty much the idea. If you have time to strip back the wax, then polish, then wax again, you will get better results than giving the existing wax a going over with a quick detailer, it just depends how much time and elbow grease you're willing to give it.

In an ideal world you'd get a proper machine polish and paint correction, then maintain that with the wax. But I've  found SRP applied by hand is good for tidying up paintwork a little bit before you wax as it contains fillers which help with swirling and tiny scratches, that no amount of washing or waxing alone would really help.

Basically, do your best with the polish, sometimes in my experience two coats of SRP can yield slightly better results than one (although many people swear that it's pointless) and then seal up your hard work with a decent wax.

As mentioned by Horatio, it's a good idea to use a clay bar after a wash, this will make sure you're removing as many contaminants from the paint as possible before the polish. It's surprising just how much more dirt transfers onto the clay even after a thorough wash. If you've got tar spots or tree sap, that needs to be sorted before the polish, claying will help that but there are also some specific products that target those.

Before HD Wax, Autoglym had Extra Gloss Protection, which was 'ok' for adding a bit of extra glaze over a polish, but it's pretty much redundant now we've got HD Wax. I'm not sure whether adding a second coat of wax is a good or bad thing, but it's something I'll probably try.

It's helpful to have a good set of clean microfibre cloths for SRP as it can get a bit chalky when you apply it, and a couple of fine finishing cloths for a final going over once you've buffed off the wax, just to lift off any odd traces of dust. Pick a day that's not scorching hot, and try and do it out of direct sunlight.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:23:48 pm by AJP »

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 06:34:15 pm »
Fusso gets my vote

Offline Jonnyed30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:08 pm »
Thanks mate that's all the info and more that I needed I just need to get the products now and give it a go on my next day off. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Iv never clayed a car how easy is that and is there any things to avoid or anyway of damaging the paint by claying I don't wanna risk marking the paintwork

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:33 pm »
Thanks mate that's all the info and more that I needed I just need to get the products now and give it a go on my next day off. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Iv never clayed a car how easy is that and is there any things to avoid or anyway of damaging the paint by claying I don't wanna risk marking the paintwork
If you buy a clay kit it should come with a lubricant, which is similar to quick detailer (if you've already got some quick detailer just use that and buy the clay on its own). Keep it wet so you can glide it over the paintwork, try and use really light pressure. You'll see when dirt is building up so keep folding the clay over to expose a fresh surface of clay as often as you can.

Obviously you don't want to be dragging any loose particles over the paint, so it's important that it's washed thoroughly before you clay it. Try and form the clay into the size of a matchbox, maybe a bit bigger, whatever's comfortable enough to hold it steady and only apply minimal pressure.

Don't drop it and get grit on it!

Offline Jonnyed30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:26:59 pm »
Cheers can tu clay everything that is painted like the bumpers. Do you go in straight lines or circular motions. Sorry for the neewbie questions just wanna make sure I don't harm the paint in anyway

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
Yeah anything painted. Go in straight lines. You'll get some instructions when you buy the clay so just read up before you start off, and there's plenty of guides on youtube to give you an idea too.

Don't expect the paint to look much different once you've clayed it, it's more for lifting off the contaminants you don't always see. But once you've done a small section you should be able to feel the difference - it'll be really slick and smooth, and ready for polish.

Offline Jonnyed30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:00 pm »
Cheers mate I pretty sure iv got it now you've been a great help just gotta find the time to get it done I'm guessing it's the quickest of things to do properly.  Roll on next day off  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:31 pm »
No worries pal.

Offline R15NDO

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:12:16 pm »
The only wax I'd use is Swissvax. Anything from Shield to Crystal Rock. They range from £120 - £800 for 200ml should last between 6 months and a year depending on how it's washed and if you use a bit of detailed spray. They do some cheaper ones ore specific paint types too

I think the Auto Finesse waxes get good reviews too. Not used them yet though  :happy2: