Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 GTI monza alloy refurb  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Clarkey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Mk6 GTI monza alloy refurb
« on: April 14, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
Evening all - this has probably been discussed many times over but I am after advice on getting my diamond cut alloys refurbished. Does anyone know who will do a decent job for a good price? I'm in Devon so ideally somewhere near me. Also has anyone had a two colour spray refurb to look similar to the original monza with the black inserts.

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: Mk6 GTI monza alloy refurb
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:03 am »
I cant recommend anyone near you as your miles away but there are mobile wheel refurb companies that will come to your house and repair it for you.

Your looking about 40-60quid per alloy. not sure if diamond cut would be more or not though

Offline Clarkey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »
The mobile refurb companies are no good for diamond cut, I will probably need to send them off. I know they are also around £100 per wheel but wondered if anyone could recommend someone that will actually do a decent job for the money.

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »
I've heard lepsons are good but pricey.

http://www.lepsons.com
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Clarkey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:08:54 pm »
Yeh Lepsons and pristine alloys were on my list. Just wondered there was anywhere just as good for a better price.
What are people's thoughts on Monza Detroit replica wheels? I could get a new set for much less that refurb but would it be worth it? I was thinking the reps could then be summer wheels and my scuffed ones for winter.

Offline glasgowdubber

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:35:50 pm »
I'm in the exact position, in the end I managed 2 pick up 2 reps from ebay recently refurbished for £99, I'm just going to send mines away for refurb. £100 seems to be the going rate. You don't want to pay any less than that as most I've read up about end up with corrosion with a year or 2. A lot of people don't rate reps, but I had a set for my old MK5 and I have to say, the reflection off them was better than any genuine wheel I've came across, and the original centre caps fitted. I think they were just a really good set.

Offline Clarkey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »
What puts me off refurbing my Genuine wheels is that they can suffer quickly from white worm after return from a small stone chip. If I knew they would last I wouldn't hesitate on paying the price. The ones I have at the moment have no white worm at all, just light kerbing from previous owners. If I paid £400 for refurb and 3 months down the line I get white worm I would be gutted.

Offline glasgowdubber

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:09 am »
What puts me off refurbing my Genuine wheels is that they can suffer quickly from white worm after return from a small stone chip. If I knew they would last I wouldn't hesitate on paying the price. The ones I have at the moment have no white worm at all, just light kerbing from previous owners. If I paid £400 for refurb and 3 months down the line I get white worm I would be gutted.

Get yourself some G5 Wheel Armour, this should keep them nice for a year, its expensive for how much you get, but it really does work!

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 12:16:23 pm »
Yeah diamond cut looking at £100 approx. per wheel.