Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing pot rivets  (Read 3000 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Removing pot rivets
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »
anyone done this?

am i right in guessing that a nice sharp metal drill bit is the best method? then replace with a nut, bolt and a washer?

or is this a cut out and weld kind of thing? which is my least wanted option as there's not alot of metal in the area to lose  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Removing pot rivets
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »
Get a brand spanking drill bit, and make sure it is the same size as the diameter of the original non-formed pop rivet.

Start slow with the drill, and that way you should not get it turning in the hole.  If you do get behind and clamp the tail with a pair of pliers or mole-grips.

The sharper the drill bit the better.

Are they steel or aluminium?

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:02:40 pm »
ive just realised what area i've posted this in (sorry mods, feel free to move it to the how to guides area :ashamed: )

Get a brand spanking drill bit, and make sure it is the same size as the diameter of the original non-formed pop rivet.

Start slow with the drill, and that way you should not get it turning in the hole.  If you do get behind and clamp the tail with a pair of pliers or mole-grips.

hard to tell as they are dull and tarnished but not rusted, so aluminum?

its the turning that was concerning me which why i initially thought about going bigger than the rivet but theres not enough metal to afford this, i was also told to use a blunt bit rather than a sharp one which didnt seem right to me either but apparently it stops twisting too

you saying sharp sounds better though, would you pilot it first with a smaller bit or just go straight for a matching size? (as in the size of the rivet not the squashed end)

then i guess its a case of just knocking the tails out?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »
ive just realised what area i've posted this in (sorry mods, feel free to move it to the how to guides area :ashamed: )

Start slow with the drill, and that way you should not get it turning in the hole.  If you do get behind and clamp the tail with a pair of pliers or mole-grips.

hard to tell as they are dull and tarnished but not rusted, so aluminum?

its the turning that was concerning me which why i initially thought about going bigger than the rivet but theres not enough metal to afford this, i was also told to use a blunt bit rather than a sharp one which didnt seem right to me either but apparently it stops twisting too

you saying sharp sounds better though, would you pilot it first with a smaller bit or just go straight for a matching size? (as in the size of the rivet not the squashed end)

then i guess its a case of just knocking the tails out?

Could well be ali.  The thought behind a blunt drill is that it won't grip well initally.  I have always found if you grip the rear, and start off slowly with a sharp drill but light pressure all should be ok.  Then if the tails don't drop out, just tap them out.  Get a drill the same diameter as the rivet, or you may cause damage.
 :happy2:

The key is to take your time and not to push too hard.  (Fnarr Fnarr  :rolleye:)

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:53 pm »
nice one dude, will give it a try  :happy2:

the roof on my defender is rivetted in places so i cant take the roof off to fit the new side panels with windows, its such a tiny lip that if it bends or rips i wont get another go at it and i'll have fubar'd it to the point of welding being the only way to repair. not any room for error

plan is to remove the rivets, change the roof and sides and then use bolts and washers (to load spread) then put everything back together..got to love landys for this

very helpful advice mate thankyou  :drinking:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:21:30 pm by Very Cherry »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »
VC, If you get stuck, I live In Somerset, so get in the Defender it and I will assist you.  Maybe one Saturday?

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
VC, If you get stuck, I live In Somerset, so get in the Defender it and I will assist you.  Maybe one Saturday?

very kind of you mate cheers  :happy2:

should be alright, saying that though...if you see an defender in bits rocking your way you know its me  :grin:

somerset eh.... im doing a few off roading sessions soon with a local club, any i dont mean one with pretty trucks tackling moist hillsides either...proper offroading followed by beer and camping on some of the overnighters if you fancy it?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:38:37 pm »
 :driver: :driver:

Sounds good, let me know, and we should be able to do something.
 :party:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »
sweet  :drinking:

i'm heading down there tomorrow to pick the beastie up (had its MOT at the HQ of the club) so i'll see what upcoming dates they have and bat them in your direction and see what you think, they normal do jaunts once a month sometimes more frequently depending work schedules etc