Make a donation

Author Topic: Chirping  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
Chirping
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
nowthen. started my car 2nite after work and left it 2 defrost while i had a cig outside and noticed a sort of squeeking noise coming from the driver side of the bonnet. any ideas?
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Chirping
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:27 pm »
Could well be the noisy cambelt syndrome...   :fighting:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10091.0

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »
If it disappears after the car has warmed up it's likely to be the cambelt issue that Beddie mentions!

FOR SALE!

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »
Cheers. thing is got the dealer to look over the car last week as  i was unhappy with how it sounded on tickover and they said nothing was wrong with it. looks like its goin back again then :sad1:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »
Its a well known problem now mate, just stick to your guns with the dealer  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »
ok cheers ill take it down at the weekend

Offline JLCoad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:42 am »
Yep its definitely the belt. When i took my ed30 in a few months ago they said there was nothing wrong but the noise persisted. Got it changed on the warranty (cambelt and tensioner) last week and all is fine now!!!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:53:52 am »
My S3 was doing it as well, really annoying.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:25 am »
My S3 was doing it as well, really annoying.

Told you that you need to give me your engine  :P

Carl :happy2:

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:01 am »
If it disappears after the car has warmed up it's likely to be the cambelt issue that Beddie mentions!

Oh balls, i thought it was only the cambelt issue if it didnt go away after the car warmed up?

EDIT; it appears i was incorrect! My car is out of warranty now but im still not convinced my noise is the same as described above. From reading a few other forums it appears some folk are saying they've had a number of things replaced to cure the noise; belt, tensioner, nelt for alternator etc?! I dont want to be repalcing something that isnt actually going to solve the problem, as im going to have to pay for any work.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:23:06 am by Lyons »

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:19 am »
Lyons your prob right about the tensioner, that's what Beddie means when he says cambelt.  As we speak vw are doing mine.  The problem lies with the tensioner not working correctly from cold, causing the belt to run un-tensioned correctly until warm.  When you change a cambelt you should always change the tensioner too (I think there about £13), and if you was to change the tensioner you would have to change the cambelt anyway because it has to be removed.

If you wanted to eliminate the alternator belt simply remove it and start the car cold.  In betting your noise is a whirling/cheeping/oscilating noise caused by every complete revolution of the belt.

I had to stick to my guns with vw but after grabbing the technician and having him listen with me, I'm having my work done today.  If your out of warenty pop the cambelt cover off and inspect the belt for wear/tear, start the engine and keeping fingers, ties and tools clear from moving items.... Have a look as it's moving.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:59 pm »
I'd be keen to hear if any of the folk that have got the belt work done, still have a "belt turning" noise coming from that area, or if its now super silent. If the former, then id be pretty confident thats all mine is...

Offline JLCoad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »
I had the noise before i had the belt and tensioner changed under warranty last week. Before the noise was really noticable, especially when cold but was less so when the throttle was engaged but this was only because if the throttle is engaged the belt is going round faster. Since the car has come back it is super quiet and driving like a dream.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:33 pm »
cheers every1. ill let u no the outcome after the weekend.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 05:25:25 pm »
My local dealer is doing the belt kit fitted for £249 on special offer at the minute. However, im reluctant to go ahead if the noise i hear is perfectly natural  :confused: