Make a donation

Author Topic: Mods to support Stage 1 Map...  (Read 5490 times)

Offline ZigzGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mods to support Stage 1 Map...
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
Hi All,

so i recently entered the world of VW GTI from being with Seat Leon for the past 7 years (Great cars but often feels like they lack gadgets). Anyway this GTi i managed to pick up is fully loaded with all the specs other than Cruise Control which i will DIY in soon. Mileage is only 66k. 
i suspect it is remapped because my Leon 2.0 TSI seems like a snail compared to this and so was wondering are there any mods that compliment the remap to keep the engine healthy.
i don't do long commutes (at most 5000 miles a year), don't visit the track either but do let off some steam here and there when safe.

initially i thought:
induction kit - better air flow.
R8 coils and NGK Spark plugs - now these at first seemed like a good idea but now i'm hearing a lot of  people prefer the OEM stuff.
Sports Cat (as oppose to De-Cat)- don't fancy any EML lights on dash and dont want to go stage 2.
wheel spacers: 10mm front 15mm rear- for a flush look around the arch and slightly better handling. not planning to go any lower.

What do you guys think. Yay or Nay???

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Mods to support Stage 1 Map...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
R8 coils are just red and cheaper, not really a performance mod. Nothing wrong with having them just not necessary, i personally would only get em if mine gave up.
Save the £80-100 and put it towards an uprated or revised dv if you haven't already

Offline ZigzGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
Oh i thought the R8 coils were some sort of upgrade  :doh:
In that case i'll look into the DV+ ive seen on Awsome gti.

cheers

R8 coils are just red and cheaper, not really a performance mod. Nothing wrong with having them just not necessary, i personally would only get em if mine gave up.
Save the £80-100 and put it towards an uprated or revised dv if you haven't already

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:26:02 pm »
Sports cat will eventually give you an EML unless you map it out.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
If you're only going stage 1 then do a precat delete. There's a few threads on this site about it.

Dv+ is the one to get, fit and forget.

Apart from that make sure your car is healthy, check cam follower, pcv valve, oil pickup pipe. Not much more I can think of

If you want some more noise, then a milltek non resonated catback exhaust is a good choice or if you're on a budget and want loud, then just get a Resonator delete on stock catback exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline ZigzGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:39 am »
I like the slight grunt it has at stock don't really need to make a scene everytime i switch on the car. i have to park on a residential street too so don't want to annoy any neighbors.

i did read something on R-Tech website about pre-cat delete but i cant remember the benefits so i'll take a look at that.
DV+ by the sound of things is a need so will be next on the list.

a friend of mine has a Gti;Stage 2, and it seems like once the issues appear they come pouring down so want to avoid that as a priority. 

Cheers Guys!!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:46 am »
Stage 1 with a decent 3" downpipe is the sweet spot imo.

Stage 1 to 2.  Not such a big leap in performance and on the edge of the mechanical limits of the pistons.

Stage 2+.  Even smaller gains and a ticking time bomb for smashed ring lands.

I wouldn't bother with a precat delete, it's not worth the effort.   The biggest bottle neck is where the exhaust constricts down to a severely crimped bend and then into a winky little 63mm pipe into the second cat.   Sack it all off for a decent 3" DP with sports cat.   The more expensive ones that are made of cast stainless are refined and not offensive to neighbours.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:45 am »
I researched the pre-cat delete before going stage 1 in June and believe the consensus of the benefits are +3-5mpg, +5-10hp and +10-15lbft after the stage 1 map, compared to a bone stock car mapped in the same way. This is certainly the case when using someone like r-tech where the map is customized to the hardware; a generic map probably wouldn't take advantage of this simple mod, i.e. some fettling would be required if the car wasnt originally mapped for the delete. Niki at R-tech commented on the torque benefits especially, manifesting in 322lbft for me  :driver:

Personally I went with stg 1 R-tech where the only "mod" was the pre-cat. Stock air box, stock air filter, revG DV, new PCV, fresh service. The result - 250HP & 322lbft - with the power over a nice wide range. I honestly thing bang-for-buck this was the best setup. Just my two penneth!

p.s. pudding - I thought most, if not all, stage 1 maps wont take account for anything other than the stock main-cat and so you risk EML and poor air/fuel ratios (rich/lean running) if stg1 with a down pipe?
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »
Figures wise I was 210bhp before remap, with ramair induction and pre cat delete with dv+

After Stage 1 R Tech i am now 258bhp

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:55:35 pm by RetroRaz »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
I researched the pre-cat delete before going stage 1 in June and believe the consensus of the benefits are +3-5mpg, +5-10hp and +10-15lbft after the stage 1 map, compared to a bone stock car mapped in the same way. This is certainly the case when using someone like r-tech where the map is customized to the hardware; a generic map probably wouldn't take advantage of this simple mod, i.e. some fettling would be required if the car wasnt originally mapped for the delete. Niki at R-tech commented on the torque benefits especially, manifesting in 322lbft for me  :driver:

Personally I went with stg 1 R-tech where the only "mod" was the pre-cat. Stock air box, stock air filter, revG DV, new PCV, fresh service. The result - 250HP & 322lbft - with the power over a nice wide range. I honestly thing bang-for-buck this was the best setup. Just my two penneth!

p.s. pudding - I thought most, if not all, stage 1 maps wont take account for anything other than the stock main-cat and so you risk EML and poor air/fuel ratios (rich/lean running) if stg1 with a down pipe?

The cat efficiency money light is just a coding thing mandated by Brussels.  Some tuners turn it off, some don't.  It doesn't affect how the engine runs.  The primary O2 manages the fuelling, the secondary O2 just checks the signals agree after the exhaust has passed through the cats.  If they don't, it pops the EML on. I'm not aware of any German cars that alter fuelling based on a catalyst efficiency light if the primary O2 is reading as expected, so lean running isn't a risk/issue.

Regardless of the tune, the ECU adapts (aka 'self tunes') automatically to any hardware changes, within reason.   Adding a downpipe to my 'Stage 1' tune found +20hp and +25lbft without touching the ECU.  More can be found if tweaking the timing, fuel rail and onset of boost to take advantage of the reduction in back pressure  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:10:47 pm »
Thanks for the explanations pudding. Always learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

MPS

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:22:15 pm »
Best supporting mod?

Super Unleaded.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »
A precat delete and pipercross panel air filter gave me an 13 extra horses from the standard 200.