Make a donation

Author Topic: Veyron / Skyline Mod wiring  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Veyron / Skyline Mod wiring
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
Evening all,

Been thinking over the idea of installing the Veryron / Skyline mod for the inner rings, and I've been following a lot of various threads (especially Mateyguv's), but i've not yet been able to find a wiring diagram.

From my understanding, you tap into the power for the number plate lights. Mateyguv made a harness that went in-between the wiring loom on the reg lights and went under the car. From here you go into an LED dimmer, and then from the dimmer into the first LED ring, with another wire going to the second LED ring.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?

Also, have anyone tried to go through the back of the inner light instead of splitting the front? Again, i know mateyguv did, but I haven't managed to get in connect with him.

If i do this, i would like to make it OEM as possible with the wiring! :happy2:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: Veyron / Skyline Mod wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:49:17 pm »
Why not just tap it into your taillights?

I've just dont it with mine. Pulled wires to through the rubber from the body to the tailgate, nothing hard on this.

If you put it to the license plate lights you still need to pull the wires to the tailgate, so can't see the benefit from this rather than tap it to your existing taillights mate :)

Give me the year of your car and I can check which wires you'll need to tap into to for the taillights
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:26 pm »
Why not just tap it into your taillights?

I've just dont it with mine. Pulled wires to through the rubber from the body to the tailgate, nothing hard on this.

If you put it to the license plate lights you still need to pull the wires to the tailgate, so can't see the benefit from this rather than tap it to your existing taillights mate :)

Give me the year of your car and I can check which wires you'll need to tap into to for the taillights
I didn't even think of using the standard lights for power!
The car is an 07 plate Ed30 :smiley:

Are you still using the LED dimmer if you're tapping into the taillights?

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:52:58 am »
I don't use any dimmer module, I've already had the Valeo LED taillights installed. :)
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:37:35 am »
I ran my ground to the grounding place just behind the drivers side rear light, i then ran a live to the number plate lightand wired in a T section from here. no dimmer.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:50:48 pm »
I done 2 sets. First set i split from back and after 6 months they started to flex and come off a bit. 2nd set i did from front and sealed perfectly. I think matey guv was just ocd and didn't like the black seal showing but to be honest its a fit and forget sorta thing.

Ive tapped the positive from the number plate wiring. On the right hand side part of the boot behind the outer lights wiring there's some wires running there. Veyron guy on Facebook has a video on how to find the wire. Negative I can't remember where i tapped into. And then ran positive and negative from dimmer going to the first inner light and from first inner light ran positive and negative to second inner light.

Some people don't use dimmers and the inner lights are brighter than the outers and looks sh!t

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:58:20 pm »
I done 2 sets. First set i split from back and after 6 months they started to flex and come off a bit. 2nd set i did from front and sealed perfectly. I think matey guv was just ocd and didn't like the black seal showing but to be honest its a fit and forget sorta thing.

Ive tapped the positive from the number plate wiring. On the right hand side part of the boot behind the outer lights wiring there's some wires running there. Veyron guy on Facebook has a video on how to find the wire. Negative I can't remember where i tapped into. And then ran positive and negative from dimmer going to the first inner light and from first inner light ran positive and negative to second inner light.

Some people don't use dimmers and the inner lights are brighter than the outers and looks sh!t

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

About the dimmers, this really depends on where you get the LED rings from.. And also if it's for R32/ED30 or the Valeo LED taillights.. I don't use a dimmer, and mine are perfect on color and brightness.   They do look abit different, but that's due to the light spread in the housing and noget the led itself.

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:06:13 pm »
Appreciate all the feedback :happy2:

To be honest, i haven't been up close to lights that have been split at the front and resealed, so i haven't fully formed my opinion on this yet.

I've seen the Veyron guy on fb, so will try to find his video for finding the wires.
Its must be trial and error with the dimmer. No harm in wiring one i guess.

One think i haven't asked, how are the 90mm LED rings secured into the housing after splitting the lights?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:40 pm »
I drilled tiny holes and tied the leds facing downwards with fishing line. Also used thin plastic tubing as a spacer so the leds don't touch the silver reflected part

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 12:12:14 pm »
I drilled tiny holes and tied the leds facing downwards with fishing line. Also used thin plastic tubing as a spacer so the leds don't touch the silver reflected part
Brilliant, thank you! :happy2:
Might try to get a set of damaged inner so i can have a go at splitting and re-sealing them to see how it goes!

I know I can buy them from the guy on fb, but i feel like I'd get more satisfaction tackling this myself :smiley:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 01:49:11 pm »
Brilliant, thank you! :happy2:
Might try to get a set of damaged inner so i can have a go at splitting and re-sealing them to see how it goes!

I know I can buy them from the guy on fb, but i feel like I'd get more satisfaction tackling this myself :smiley:

The 2nd set i did, i bought the inners for 20 quid the pair off ebay, I even sprayed the inside silver bit to black and now looks exactly like my outers which are cherry red Ed30/R32 ones

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
Veyron / Skyline Mod wiring
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:32:42 pm »
Done them on mine, split standard inners from the front and sprayed silver bit like Raz mentioned, looks exactly same as Ed30/R32. Wired it up to outers via the wire route through the rubber grommet/cover
Didn’t use the dimmer, wasn’t brighter than the outers, judge for yourself if they look brighter in the pic
I actually haven’t got them on the car anymore as they were interfering with my radio signal
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:22:31 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »
Spraying the silver inner seems light a good plan over getting the standard ed30/r32 inners!

Those look spot on MIJ! I guess it depends on what rings you've bought, some will be brighter than others.
Shame you had to remove them. Any idea's why they were interfering with your radio?

When using the LED rings, do you see much shadow on the rings when viewing the car? I've seen a few pictures where the inner light has a darker shadowed area that looks like the LED ring.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »
I can only think of the LED resistor pre-wired already with the rings causing interference...didn’t bother looking into it as I swapped them for the Valeos. Still have the modded inners somewhere in the shed.

Yes, the ring outline is very obvious when lit up...regardless of them being installed dead centre inside they looked wonky from different angles...another reason why I removed them.

It’s probably doable somehow where the ring isn’t so obvious to see when lit but I didn’t bother trying..

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
Mij did you put the ring facing downwards towards the silver bit up up facing the red lens?