Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre compound  (Read 9341 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Tyre compound
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:21 pm »
More stuff to stick in you pockets next time you're down, Mat..... get those red CHs whilst you're there.
Sideways yo!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »
I've got some Hankooks, asymetric, hard compound, got 3 for £250  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »
3?

Sideways yo!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »
You'll need four I think mate :signLOL:

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »
Yeah, they only had three left so I bought 2 and got the 3rd free, cant complain, will keep it as a spare!

Going to get them fitted tomorrow hopefully so will let you know how I get on with them  
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 09:54:16 pm »
Where from mate?

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »
I got them from Camkill, I got the last three though hence the offer  :wink:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:37 pm »

Going to get them fitted tomorrow hopefully so will let you know how I get on with them  

We test driving tomorrow night when you come round then?  :jumping:  :driver:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »
R1R treadwear rating is 140!

Whats the eagle f1 assys?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 11:50:15 pm »

....I've been trying to find out via Google but no luck so far. The tyre really has had some excellent reviews. It's not a track tyre but I'm now on my second set and I've yet to have any problem whatever the surface conditions (excluding snow).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 11:59:02 pm »

....I've been trying to find out via Google but no luck so far. The tyre really has had some excellent reviews. It's not a track tyre but I'm now on my second set and I've yet to have any problem whatever the surface conditions (excluding snow).

I have been using nothing but eagle f1 gsd3 and assys for years now too, im a true convert as they are great, just the R1R has now plugged a gap in the market imo  :happy2:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:17 am »
I had some F1 assyms last time and they were an excellent tyre, they did everything well road/track/ring. They did have a tendancy to wobble the blocks when hot, but I think that could be cured, as I'll describe below.

My only criticism of them is the sidewall isn't as stiff as a PS2, so they don't feel as direct - but as a contrast, they're comfier to travel on.

I'm also an absolute convert to nitrogen inflation. My last 3 events at Oulton have been on the PS2s because of the weather, The pressure hasn't changed and they're running much cooler. On similar days before they'd be increasing by 6-7PSI and getting greasy. I think this would keep F1s cool enough to stabilise the blocks.

The treadwear rating will be on the sidewall somewhere. A PS2 is 220.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

I had some F1 assyms last time and they were an excellent tyre, they did everything well road/track/ring. They did have a tendancy to wobble the blocks when hot, but I think that could be cured, as I'll describe below.

My only criticism of them is the sidewall isn't as stiff as a PS2, so they don't feel as direct - but as a contrast, they're comfier to travel on.

I'm also an absolute convert to nitrogen inflation. My last 3 events at Oulton have been on the PS2s because of the weather, The pressure hasn't changed and they're running much cooler. On similar days before they'd be increasing by 6-7PSI and getting greasy. I think this would keep F1s cool enough to stabilise the blocks.

The treadwear rating will be on the sidewall somewhere. A PS2 is 220.

....I'll go and check my GY Assym treadwear rating after I've had a bath and breakfast (might turn into brunch!) and post what I see.

Interesting what you say about the sidewall stiffness. The sidewall stiffness of the F1 Assym is much greater than their F1 Directional - It's something I know from my discussions with Goodyear Technical when I had the problem mixing the two tyres (different axles). Is the PS2 a directional or assymetric?

Are you running a tyre temp/pressure monitor? As you may recall I'm running a TyreSure and find that on cold startup my pressures will be around 34 psi and then rise and stay around their inflated 37 norm, even on very spiritedly driven road twisties and fast sweepers too. However, I get the impression that you tend to drive near the limit on track and my style is different. Is slow in and fast out possibly kinder to tyres?

My temp fluctuations (I view Centigrade) tend to be influenced as much by the ambient weather as by my driving and only increase with extended periods of fast road driving. Unfortunately I haven't been on track yet since installing my TyreSure. Hurdy would have more info.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 10:23:07 am »
Yeah, they only had three left so I bought 2 and got the 3rd free, cant complain, will keep it as a spare!

what hankooks did you go for? was it Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212 - as I have been looking at these, be interested to know what you think of them
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 10:34:03 am »
Robin.

PS2s are assym. I agree on the F1's assyms being much better than their directionals, I bought the car on a part worn set of those and they were utterly terrible.

Not running a pressure/temp system, just a good old analogue guage and my hands. You can feel when a tyre is overheating both in and out of the car.

Like you on the road no matter how I'm driving, the temps and pressures will be the same as yours. There's only so much heat you can build up. Obviously ambient effects it too, but I'm more talking about the stability of CO2 - because of its water content it has greater scope for fluctuation.

Track wise, I'm often complimented on being very smooth even though I drive 10/10ths. I'm hardly a tyre screaming loon, if they're making noise, you're doing it wrong! So I don't think my style will get the tyres hotter than anyone else's.

Don't forget race grade tarmac is a hell of a lot more grippy than road stuff and you're doing 15-20 minutes a time with no respite for the tyres, so physics dictates increased temps are to be expected, you just manage them accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:43:40 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!