Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon fibre mask  (Read 6080 times)

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
Carbon fibre mask
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:51:53 pm »
just wondering where you guys are getting the masks from and what sort of price they are, i didnt want to pay OSIR prices as i seen somewhere that the fit wasnt as expected for the money, however if anyone knows anywhere the OSIR front mask can be bought for a good price it might be an option

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:56:18 pm by gobbleplease »
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Carbon fibre mask
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:02:46 pm »
Really wouldn't bother with the OSIR carbon masks following my own personal experience of the fit of them.  :fighting: :fighting:

The ebay copies seam to fit better and look 99% as good for far less money.

All IMHO  :happy2:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »
Ive not seen any cheapos on ebay, i was surprised as its usually what ebay is all about.

The cheap ones are just glued on or double sided sticky taped, so i thought that they would leave a slight gap. Unless you know of one thats a good fit

ta  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:18 pm »
Osirs ones are also stick on.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »
IIRC correctly, I think more than one person has had the OSIR fit problem but there are more of us who haven't and I think the problem was put right. My OSIR front mask is fine.

TTshop in Bedford who are the OSIR European distributors will do their utmost to sort any probs IF they occur. However, OSIR carbon is not cheap and this can make some people extra particular. I've only ever had one problem with anything from OSIR (very uneven weave) and it was replaced without becoming an issue, so I'm a happy bunny.

I think some people on here have gone the eBay route and hopefully will post info.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »
^^^ if I was playing predicable post bingo i would be shouting house right about now  :congrats: :congrats:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »
awe right cheers guys i didnt actually realise that OSIR was also stick on, especially at that price.

I take it there are no hardships fitting these ? what is the preffered method double sided sticky tape, silicon sealer ect .

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »
To give this thread a bit of balance, i have seen about 6 of these masks, at least 3 of them have split due to a tight fit and expansion.
And i particularly remember being at a meet last year, and 2 people who have the naff Osir  mask where looking at my sticky tape vinyl mask with big green eyes. Now surely that tells you something when they were wishing they had gone for the sticky tape option.  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »

To give this thread a bit of balance, i have seen about 6 of these masks, at least 3 of them have split due to a tight fit and expansion.

....Be fair, TC - I'm certainly not claiming that OSIR haven't cocked up some of these. 3 out 6 = 50%. Agreed that is far too high a rate of fail but there is a world outside of this forum.

In the interests of balance, if I hadn't posted that mine was okay, readers could easily be left thinking that all the OSIR carbon masks were very much sub-standard. SteveP didn't say that none of them were good and, quite rightly, informed readers of his individual experience. I'm informing about mine. Simples.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »
But they cost a fortune respectively, and its the simplest part in the world to make. I think Neil M could match the quality in his garage and knock them out for 30 squid.
Most of the fitting problems i have come across have been with the R32 diffuser, and i can fully understand why they would have problems with this part, as it is a complex shape and design to say the least, but the mask should be fit and play in my opinion with that design.
Also Robin i am a big fan of Osir i have some of there products and they are great, but the mask is not up to scratch.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:45 pm »
^^^^
I agree with you, TC - The mask has probably been OSIR's worst product for fit quality. Perhaps I just got lucky.

My R32 zorst trim is excellent quality but the fixing tabs are very weak and don't stay in place. I'm sure I posted the fix of simply drilling a couple of holes to receive a cable-tie. If you need to remove and later reinstall you simply cut the ties and use some new ones.

Possibly my expectations of standards of fit are less demanding than most. My car sometimes goes on display but isn't a show car and it's only a Golf and not a car costing six figures.

The high retail cost of carbon is invariably high and some will say unjustified. It's production is highly skilled and labour intensive though. Furthermore, I don't expect unit sales quantities are especially high and all that has to be factored in for OSIR to stay in business.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
Robin, Justin is in agreement that the fit and finish of not only the two Steve and I were originally supplied but the replacements from OSIR were substandard and as such was happy to refund us.

I cannot fault Justins part in this but after my experience I would be very dubious about paying top money for OSIR CF products.

Offline Mark_eire

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 08:28:54 pm »
Damn, I had intended getting osir front masks but it's a lot of money for a 50% chance of it fitting correctly!!
2010 Audi A6 Avant S-Line
2007 VW Golf GTI

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:38:14 pm »
i think steve is being kind having seen the damage it casued to the paintwork on the ED30

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:40 pm »
I just had one covered with vinyl and looks great yet to fit it, only cost £30.

How have most people fitted there number plates so they can take them off with out leaving any signs.

I love the genuine carbon but too costly??

Anyone got a OSIR rear spoiler??

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr