Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon fibre mask  (Read 6081 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Carbon fibre mask
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »

Damn, I had intended getting osir front masks but it's a lot of money for a 50% chance of it fitting correctly!!

....I'm not saying you should do this, but why not have a chat with Justin at the TTshop and see if he'll get one for you but strictly on the understanding that you won't buy it if the standard or fit isn't right. Unless, of course, you find another cheaper source you feel you can trust.

Carbon vinyl is another very much cheaper and very effective alternative but won't look right if you mix it alongside real carbon imo.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »
Just had mine done in the 3M carbon vinyl .  Mask , both badges, front lip and rear valance = £160.

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02:12 am »
Someone mention carbon fibre :evilgrin:

The front mask is the one part I've held back from due to it's inherent random fit issues. Not only have OSIR had issues, but so have the cheap ones. It is very hit and miss and personally I would go with a full replacement mask like NeilM has if I were to go for one.

Anyone got a OSIR rear spoiler??
Yes, I have. I fitted it myself and it was a very good fit.

Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:52 am »

Just had mine done in the 3M carbon vinyl .  Mask , both badges, front lip and rear valance = £160.

Chris.

....That's exactly the best way to do it if you use vinyl, imo.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:05:53 am »

The front mask is the one part I've held back from due to it's inherent random fit issues. Not only have OSIR had issues, but so have the cheap ones. It is very hit and miss and personally I would go with a full replacement mask like NeilM has if I were to go for one.

....That's something I didn't know. So the cheap ones have had problems too. It's not just down to OSIR then, it would seem.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:58 am »
flamesuit at the ready :evilgrin:
but if osir get their stuff made in china the knockoffs are exactly the same and will have same fitment inconsistencies.because they come from the same factory!!! fact!!
i imported bonsai pots from china for a while and the quality was excellent/good on first batch then a few odd dodgy ones in 2nd and then the 3rd was 50/50 great and not not good. they farm it out to not so good factories(they are graded according to the quality of the market they aim to sell to!) and mix it all up to save money their end.and its too expensive to send back etc so they just send you a few better ones as compensation.
this is also cos the agent(who tells u he has secured you the "rights" to be the only distributor in the uk isnt strictly telling u the truth).this is because there are many "agents" that sell from the same factories.
mine was a cheap ebay copy andthe fitment wasnt great-in hindsight i would get a plastic one wrapped and at same time as badges to get the consistency of finish like our resident smartars........TC  :congrats:
just  my tuppence
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 09:24:53 am »
Just had mine done in the 3M carbon vinyl .  Mask , both badges, front lip and rear valance = £160.

Chris.

:worthless:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:30 am »
^^^^
No need for a flamesuit, matsu - That's good information.

It shouldn't matter where something is manufactured as long as strict quality controls are applied. At least, that's the theory.

Example: Every day, bread is made in the slums of Mumbai (India) where there is no drainage system and people literally crap in the street etc. It's not labelled and sent into the smart bread shops of the city where it's labelled and highly rated by those who eat it, not knowing its source.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:32 pm »
flamesuit at the ready :evilgrin:
but if osir get their stuff made in china the knockoffs are exactly the same and will have same fitment inconsistencies.because they come from the same factory!!! fact!!
i imported bonsai pots from china for a while and the quality was excellent/good on first batch then a few odd dodgy ones in 2nd and then the 3rd was 50/50 great and not not good. they farm it out to not so good factories(they are graded according to the quality of the market they aim to sell to!) and mix it all up to save money their end.and its too expensive to send back etc so they just send you a few better ones as compensation.
this is also cos the agent(who tells u he has secured you the "rights" to be the only distributor in the uk isnt strictly telling u the truth).this is because there are many "agents" that sell from the same factories.
mine was a cheap ebay copy andthe fitment wasnt great-in hindsight i would get a plastic one wrapped and at same time as badges to get the consistency of finish like our resident smartars........TC  :congrats:
just  my tuppence
matsu

Yip i think im going to get it wrapped with the 3m Di-Nok (or whatever its called)
I dont fancy playing the CF lottery.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »

Chris.

:worthless:

Ok , be gentle. This is my first shot at posting pics.

Chris.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »
Looks wicked!  :congrats:

Where did you get it done?

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:54 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmmmm Nice, Ive been looking at how too videos all night and that 3M di noc looks a piece of piss to work with, so im going to give it a bash myself, how hard can it be :signLOL:

Im going to measure up on saturday and see if i can get some for cheap from ebay as its pretty expensive.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »
Got it done by http://www.carboncars.co.uk/ . They have a place in S.Wales and Slough.  They also sell the stuff on ebay and Carbon Forza. 
To be honest, it did look fairly straight forward to do the mask once it was stripped.  Heat to soften the vinyl  but not too much when folding around tight edges. Too much heat and it loses its texture and just looks matt black and gets brittle , starting to melt at the edges.
The rear valance was very difficult to do in one piece.

On a side note, a lot of his business is carbon fibre products. He was showing me the moulds he'd just finished for s3/tt 1.8t & 350Z engine covers.

Chris.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:53 am »
what did it cost you ? might get mine done in slough
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:11 am »
what did it cost you ? might get mine done in slough

They did it for £160.  A good price but not sure if he'd charge a little more as the rear valance was more time consuming than he thought.

Chris.