Make a donation

Author Topic: Long time VW Nerd First time MK5 owner  (Read 1780 times)

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Long time VW Nerd First time MK5 owner
« on: April 14, 2022, 11:27:58 am »
Hi All

Adam from Bedford. Stumbled upon the forum when looking for some info on my Mk5. I recently bought this jap import 2.0 TSI Sportline estate from an dealer / importer in Somerset as I needed an estate with a newborn and couldn't justify the money for an R estate

I'll start a thread in the members rides section as I plan a few mods to it.

It's actually the second one I've bought, as I got impatient waiting for this one to arrive from Japan (it's on a boat in Jeddah at the time of writing).

Also have a Mk4 1.8GTi. It's been my daily for 6 years and asked for very little other than regular maintenance, rear door locks and a few sensors.

On first impressions the MK5 feels much more grown up but isn't quite obnoxious enough for me (mk4 has a Milltek exhaust and a Forge intake). I'll be asking lots of questions about VCDS coding on the forum as I try and fit GTi interior bits to them and that's all new to me. I've a long history of fiddling with VWs but much more this kind of thing:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 05:14:23 pm by adamvaughan »

Online terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: Long time VW Nerd First time MK5 owner
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 05:02:46 pm »
I need EVERY single pic of the bug  :laugh:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 05:44:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum, I stumbled into this forum too.... very helpful friendly folks on here I have to say! I also have a chequered past involving bugs and campers....fell through the floorpan of a beetle in motion and also was a passenger in a bay window camper that caught fire on the M11...so many happy memories! You’ll have no such worries with a Mk5...probably lol

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 05:08:35 pm »
I need EVERY single pic of the bug  :laugh:

Here's a couple. It's a 1952 'Zwitter' which is the last of the line with the split rear window

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 05:10:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum, I stumbled into this forum too.... very helpful friendly folks on here I have to say! I also have a chequered past involving bugs and campers....fell through the floorpan of a beetle in motion and also was a passenger in a bay window camper that caught fire on the M11...so many happy memories! You’ll have no such worries with a Mk5...probably lol

Sounds like pretty much par for the course with aircooled VWS. No fires yet (touch wood) but my first beetle had a floorpan you could see the road through

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 08:44:33 am »
Welcome
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline bobby_fodge