Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI won't turn over, new battery, 005634 fault code & beeps with ignition on  (Read 917 times)

Offline mk5gtiNZ

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hi guys, past week have been having trouble starting my golf. Would crank and turn over, just struggled but once the car was running, drove smooth and boosted just like normal. Thought it was 100% just a fried battery as I had stupidly let it run dead a fair handful of times in the past month and had it jump started. Got the old battery tested - was confirmed to be dead. Bought a new battery popped it in and to my surprise, got nothing on key turn. No crank, didn't even try. Electronics showed on dash, radio worked, lights worked, windows etc - but engine didn't want to start. Didn't seem to hear any clicking either which I understand can be a problem with the starter motor - all I could hear was a long beep noise in the engine that would go away 5secs ish after taking the key out. I have a little diagnostics reader so I ended up plugging that In and I got two fault codes, one was to do with turbo/supercharger underboost - which I believe is because I have a stage 2 ECU tune without gearbox tune, was told by tuner this would be fine but the gearbox would stop it boosting as much as it should at certain revs. The other fault code was 005634 and looking into this its all to do with voltage being too low. I also checked some other things in the reader, such as cent electronics, and some of them returned voltage fault codes. Supply voltage. Voltage too low. Etc. Has anyone experienced an Issue like this? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first golf and I love driving the car.

Offline mk5gtiNZ

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Update: Here's a video so you can hear the sound it makes when I turn the key trying to start it, lasts 20ish seconds maybe a little longer and stops with key in or a little after you take it out.

Offline mk5gtiNZ

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Update again lol sorry: Forgot to say which lights on dash were showing. This is with key turned all the way. I've never really seen or noticed lights on the rev counter. Definitely never seen a CEL or EPC. Getting a bit worried that this could be a serious serious issue.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:12:37 am by mk5gtiNZ »

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18010/P1602/005634

Not much help but i'd be checking fuses and relays and making sure battery connections are good, check the earth lead on the gearbox to chassis too.

Are you getting power at the starter?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:24:53 pm by GVK »

Offline ChazGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
The bleep noise is standard on these, not sure what it's for though.
Could be a stuck solenoid in your starter like you said, but I think you'd still hear the starter activate itself with the key turn. Not sure though as I have never had an issue with mine.
Best bet is to first check your battery voltage with a multimeter as most of the electronics will operate at a lower voltage, but the starter needs a lot of juice to operate.
Generally should be above 12V, but I've started mine at 11.7V in the past when it's been sat for a while.