Make a donation

Author Topic: ABS/ Traction Control NOT Lighting Up  (Read 581 times)

Offline W4XOS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ABS/ Traction Control NOT Lighting Up
« on: December 12, 2022, 08:14:22 pm »
Hi all,

Newly registered user to this forum and was looking for some help, I have recently purchased a Pirelli GTI from an auction, being from an auction car is sold as is and I purchased with this in mind, getting on to the actual subject of the fault.

The car was purchased without a key so a new one was made, the battery was also dead at that point so a jump start was required, the guy who programmed a new key at the time showed me that the battery was only reading 9v while being connected to a Transit van that remained started the whole time though this could have been because the GTI battery was dead for a while, the car successfully started after 1 turn however when checking codes there was a number of them related to the ABS which is not a huge issue however what’s concerning is when driving the car traction seems to be disengaged but what I don’t understand is why there is no lights on the dash for ABS or Traction Control. I have removed the cluster and checked behind the dials to see if anything had been covered up as there was a screw missing for the cluster but there was no tape or anything behind the dials suggested someone taped over the bulb.

I did press both buttons above the DSG selector but they seem to do nothing and this includes the TPMS button, no chime to confirm new tyre pressures are stored nor does it light up when tyres are flat, the ESP button doesn’t light up with “OFF” on the physical button or on the dashboard itself and these 3 warnings also do not come up when the car is it ignition. Again I purchased the car knowing there will be things to fix however with the traction and ABS lights they’re usually always illuminated to indicate a fault whereas this car they don’t light up at all even in ignition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline ssxxgg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: ABS/ Traction Control NOT Lighting Up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 11:45:00 am »
I've got a very similar issue - the tyre pressure warning is showing on the dash even though all 4 tyres are at the right pressures, it won't reset (hold down for three+ seconds, plus the turn ignition off/on while holding method). No other warning lights showing.

PLUS the traction control button does nothing, ie pressing or holding it doesn't disable the traction control.

It's getting MoT'd tomorrow so I'll ask them to check it out as they've got all the kit.

My complete guess is an ABS sensor. fault or issue of some kind..