Make a donation

Author Topic: Outside door handle broke?  (Read 559 times)

Offline Rmills55

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Outside door handle broke?
« on: April 02, 2023, 11:56:17 am »
Hi All!
Got a 2008 mk5, 5 door. The rear doors rarely get used, then I used them several times over the weekend. And suddenly the rear driver's door will not open from outside. Opens from inside fine. Locks ect. Just outside handle, I've had handle off and all cable seems attached still and working.
Is it likely the latch? Since insides working perfectly fine

Thanks for any tips

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Outside door handle broke?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 10:55:15 pm »
Can you see the black plastic tab on the door handle like the photos? Mine slipped down slightly a week ago so I took the end cap out, moved the black tab (it has grooves in it) more towards the outside and worked fine after that.

Offline Rmills55

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 10:20:02 pm »
@DBXdarkangel from memory it wasn't right up to the edge like that. I will take it off again tomorrow and have a look! Thank you!

Offline Rmills55

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 01:49:37 pm »
Thank you, this worked. I watched a video on how to take it off, did the right amount of turns on bolt and all. But now that lock bit doesn't stay in 🤔
Should I just glue it? I don't really understand why that now won't stay
Thanks

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 05:40:55 pm »
Make sure the groves on the handle are clean and the groves on the plastic tab. Then make sire it's pushes in firmly. If it Dow it again then you could try some glue altho it's designed to pop out to remove the handle and door skin.
Yeah there poor design as mine did the same as yours. I've replaced all my door locking mechanisms due to the passenger front door not opening. I learned the hard way via VW dealer how they work and if one side of the mechanisms is slightly pulled then it won't open either side.
Glad you sorted it tho