Make a donation

Author Topic: WEITEC or AP's?  (Read 12521 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
WEITEC or AP's?
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:19:12 am »
will be getting coilovers at the end of the month and i was pretty happy with the idea of getting some AP's....But when enquiring on price i was told for another £50 i can get a set of weitec's.

i was told that they are the same as the ap's but are made in Germany by KW and not in china to KW standards.

Any comments? personal choice? worth the £50?

i do 6000 miles a year and that's mainly motorway, plan on doing 1 or 2 track days. They will be paired up with some eibach ARB's and WALK anti lift.

Thanks!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: WEITEC or AP's?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:30:44 am »
Personally I would spend my suspension money here:

http://www.bilstein.de/products/sport-and-threaded-ride-high-adjustable-kits/bilstein-b12.html

Nothing comes close to the Bilstein B12 for the money. I would much rather spend my money on a top of the range fixed rate/height suspension kit than a bottom of the range coilover kit.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45:28 am »

i do 6000 miles a year and that's mainly motorway, plan on doing 1 or 2 track days. They will be paired up with some eibach ARB's and WALK anti lift.

....Which means you are virtually guaranteed to want to do more trackdays! So try and buy with as long term plans as possible is my advice. And save up for some better adjustable coilovers such as Bilstein or KW-V3's.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:23:53 pm »
When i was in the market for coilovers, i looked at bilsteins, kws, weitecs and ap.

Aps are ment to be more road orientated than weitecs and more comfortable. When i phoned up VWR and asked there advice on what suspension to get, they told me the V3s were good but couldnt really justify the price of them as they thought the Aps were the best option for a few track days and fast road use ! , in the end i didnt listen to them and ended up buying the Kws, mainly due to resale values, the inox body and the fact that better internals are used, Ive also had these on previous cars and was very happy with them.

My mate has the weitecs and the are very good, on par with the kws with only lesser grade components used.

So basically quality wise from research ive learned that the aps have different internals, very good on road, comfortable, and great for a few track days.

The weitecs are a halfway house, made in germany, pretty much the same as the KWS with cheaper materials and build costs. Like i said my mate has these and they are bloody good.

Kws, better internals / materials, good for track work and not too harsh on the road unless you live in potholeville.

Another option and is bilstein B12 shocks and springs, they are not coilovers and will lower the car 30mm, the damping on these and comfort levels are superb and are brilliant for track work, the only reason im not running them is i heard a few people having rubbing issues with going down 30mm and the fact that i go up a few dirt tracks so due to the fact i couldnt adjust the height up if required meant this was a No No for me. !

On VWRs advice id probably go for the Aps, lets face it they know what they are talking about, but saying that the weitecs are perhaps a bit better quality and they are very good.

MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »
unless you go for the bilstien pss10 which are height adjustable aswell and are still a couple of hundred cheaper than the v3's

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:36:01 pm »
bilstein wins for me over KWs everytime purely on the ajustability.

I dont get the KW V3's really for the every day drivers.  whats the point in having such adjustable suspension when all the adjustment is at the top of the strut out of reach. 

I was told you needed to disconnect the top mounts from the car to get to the adjustment dials.  So when you fancy changing the settings you have to do that and hope you get it right first time, otherwise you will strip it again, You might even need to do Go after it as well.

h billies could be done in minutes

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »
I'm getting a set of KW V3's this month.... i only want them for a nice stance (as my Eibach pro Sport) and comfort... are these the best to go for ?

Never go on track days...and never really race hard
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »
IMO you are wastin your money then getting V3's.  V2s are still adjustable(just not to the extent of V3s) in your case id say they makemore sense.

think about the bilsteins though.  If you want them comfortable , 2 minutes around the car and you could set the damping to a softer setting and drive around in comfort then if you fancied a spirited drive you just give the knos a quick turn and you wil have a weapon again.  Ask hurdy, he tried his on all sorts of different settings when he first got them iirc

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:24 pm »
I'm getting a set of KW V3's this month.... i only want them for a nice stance (as my Eibach pro Sport) and comfort... are these the best to go for ?

Honestly bilstein b12s for stance comfort and drivability, if you want coilovers for comfort the aps seem to be the best if you are on a budget.

There is far too much adjustability on the V3s for road use, and you can f*ck them right up if you dont know what you are doing, as said the bilsteins are the best coilies on the market in that price range, but agin very adjustable which i just didnt need, the v2s are only adjustable in rebound which is does nothing really for comfort, the V1s are height only adjustable which is all i was looking for, set up in the factory by people who know what they are doing ! Im never going to out drive the car so i dont need any adustability a happy medium is fine good for the road and track, The Kws are great, they sort out the end squirm that the OEM set up suffers from :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:53:25 pm by gobbleplease »
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:54:58 pm »
thanks for the replys guys alot of love for kw's which i expected but cant really justify that cost!

i know im looking at the high end budget sets (not quite the £200 sets on ebay) im only going to be keeping the car about 2years which is 12000miles and not lot of time for saving!

so unless a set come up for sale 2nd hand of either the kw's or bilsteins i wont be able to get those.

the
When i was in the market for coilovers, i looked at bilsteins, kws, weitecs and ap.

Aps are ment to be more road orientated than weitecs and more comfortable. When i phoned up VWR and asked there advice on what suspension to get, they told me the V3s were good but couldnt really justify the price of them as they thought the Aps were the best option for a few track days and fast road use ! , in the end i didnt listen to them and ended up buying the Kws, mainly due to resale values, the inox body and the fact that better internals are used, Ive also had these on previous cars and was very happy with them.

My mate has the weitecs and the are very good, on par with the kws with only lesser grade components used.

So basically quality wise from research ive learned that the aps have different internals, very good on road, comfortable, and great for a few track days.

The weitecs are a halfway house, made in germany, pretty much the same as the KWS with cheaper materials and build costs. Like i said my mate has these and they are bloody good.

Kws, better internals / materials, good for track work and not too harsh on the road unless you live in potholeville.

Another option and is bilstein B12 shocks and springs, they are not coilovers and will lower the car 30mm, the damping on these and comfort levels are superb and are brilliant for track work, the only reason im not running them is i heard a few people having rubbing issues with going down 30mm and the fact that i go up a few dirt tracks so due to the fact i couldnt adjust the height up if required meant this was a No No for me. !

On VWRs advice id probably go for the Aps, lets face it they know what they are talking about, but saying that the weitecs are perhaps a bit better quality and they are very good.

thanks for that, it kinda summed up what i knew and has made (as much as people may not agree) my argument for the weitecs a little stronger! i have yet to find someone thats actually running the weitecs though as would love to see a car/ be in one running them before buying!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:08:30 pm »

:surprised: Rich theres no way id be spending £1300 on coillies if i wasnt going to use them for what there designed for, just get some AP's for like £450 and wind em down low or a bit more quality and get the KW v1s as there just hieght adjustable

You really dont need fully adjustable coillies just to get a good stance.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:24:43 pm »
^^^^
KW-V3's aren't difficult to adjust and mine don't have adjustable top mounts. But Bilsteins (like Hurdy's) are much easier to adjust.

If it wasn't for advice and relationship with VWR, I'd have gone for Bilstein but I'm still very happy with my V3's.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:31:42 pm »
Right,

I am a little confused.

All i am after is stance (like my pro sportline springs 35mm drop) and as much comfort as possible.

Do i go for the Blisteins B12's ( but they only drop 30mm ) i would like at least 35mm  http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=bilsteinb12suspensionkits&car=vwgolf5&manufacturer=bilst&sub_category=1

What else can i go for that drops 35mm at least and gives good comfort ?

Need help here !!!

Richard
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:42 pm »
I'm using AP's at the minute and for fast road use I can't fault them for the money. The ride is better than std and the control over the bumps is less choppy. I drove Mike's Cupra on the V3's on Sunday, although the body control was excellent it was harsh over the bumps, although he did say he's not to sure what they are set at and could be the stiffest for all he know's :smiley:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »
as mentioned already VWR recommend the AP's but at the risk of corrosion over time, if thats not an issue for you ed i would go that route.

B14's sound good, i have been thinking about them or KWV2's. personally im after good handling and something stainless that will last, not really sure i need adjust ability so may consider  B12's, anyone know if you can buy just the shocks as i have the H&R's already  :confused:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!