Make a donation

Author Topic: Toyo R1R's  (Read 11047 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Toyo R1R's
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »
i was going to get the Goodyear F1 Assymetrics next time round.
should i reconsider?

....I agree with what Aparoon and James have said.

I'm on my third set of GY F1 Asymmetrics and I rate them very highly as an all-weather road tyre. Tyres such as the Toyo R1R's are primarily trackday tyres which are good enough to be road-legal but it's horses-for-courses and they're not everyday allyear road tyres.

Btw, I've done 2 Touristfahrten 'Ring trips and 2 full trackdays (wet Spa and dry VLN 'Ring) on the GY Asymmetrics and been very stable and happy, but I don't drive on the limit. R1R's would clearly be better for track.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:41:11 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »
i know you use your car properly, and they must take a bit of abuse but how many miles have you covered do you reckon in those 3 months

3-4k maybe

about 2k, reckon I will get 3k out of them, mind you alot of my driving is WOT 90% of the time and often happens from first gear onwards.

Id say expect the R1Rs to last half as long as GY F1 assys.

Also as the tread is now wearing down closer to its minimum depth marker the straightline grip is starting to drop off. Car spins up in 3rd now, didnt do that when the tyres where fresher.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »
^^^^
Then it sounds to me that, like the R888's, the R1R is just a tyre you can legally drive to and from a trackday on. Not a very practical or realistic everyday road tyre even in Summer.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »
^^^^
Then it sounds to me that, like the R888's, the R1R is just a tyre you can legally drive to and from a trackday on. Not a very practical or realistic everyday road tyre even in Summer.

id agree with that. i dont mind shelling out money on good tyres but i wouldnt mind them lasting a bit longer than that. think ill be looking at the PS3's or maybe those kumho V70a hard compound tyres.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »
^^^^
I'm advised that if not using a track specific tyre (R1R's and R888's included) and you are on road tyres, then it's best to use road tyres which are down to say 4 mm tread so the blocks don't heat and move so much. Sort of like an 'intermediate' race tyre I suppose, except for rubber compound.