Make a donation

Author Topic: APR Pump fitted  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
APR Pump fitted
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
Had an APR pump fitted today and my REVO upgraded at the same time and thought I'd share my observations;

Up until about 5k I couldn't really notice the difference but from then on it pulls really hard right up until about 7400 rpm, didn't mean to go that high as I usually change at about 7k where the power tailed off pre-pump fitting.

Is this the same for anyone else?

Also anyone know if this is a safe limit for the engine as its quite a long way into the red on the rev counter?

EDIT: Current mods prior to this were REVO Stg 1, TBE and intake
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:43:11 pm by Rob GTI »
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: APR Pump fitted
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:53 pm »
No one got any any comments about a uprated HPFP, don't have to be a APR one??? :confused:

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »
Gaz has apr pump on his s3 so send him a pm

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »

Up until about 5k I couldn't really notice the difference but from then on it pulls really hard right up until about 7400 rpm, didn't mean to go that high as I usually change at about 7k where the power tailed off pre-pump fitting.

Is this the same for anyone else?

Also anyone know if this is a safe limit for the engine as its quite a long way into the red on the rev counter?

....On a K03 GTI I shift gears at around 5,500-6,000 max as there is less power there and it won't do the engine a lot of good by consistently high revving it. I'm Revo2 with oem fuel pump.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »
Robin,

I found the same in my old K03 Leon, it would run out of puff at about 6k revs, so didn't bother going above that. The thing I like now about mine is that it is more linear in delivery of power (reminds me of my old Mk2 16v), revs hard to the redline. Didn't go for stage 2 plus file just stage 2 as was advised that it produced a spike of boost (i.e. loads more torque at around 3k) with minimal top end gain, so my set up gives more of a N/A feel like my old valver, I'd guess.

Going to get some comments from my tuner about how high I should be going into the red zone regularly.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
the stage 2+ will only give uyou a spike if its poorly setup.  if you run slightly lower settings it will smooth out the delivery a bit more

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »
the stage 2+ will only give uyou a spike if its poorly setup.  if you run slightly lower settings it will smooth out the delivery a bit more

Yes but when the settings are lowered you end u getting performance figures like u would on stage 2, so there's no real benefit. - this is from the advice of my tuner not my opinion by the way.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:36:19 pm »

Yes but when the settings are lowered you end u getting performance figures like u would on stage 2, so there's no real benefit. - this is from the advice of my tuner not my opinion by the way.
Just out of interest which tuner has given you that advice. High settings don't always mean high performance with Revo it about getting the balance right between boost, timing and fuelling so that it is optimal for your car. No one car is quite the same as another.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »
^^^ thats my point.  stage 2+ is a big increase in drivability over stage2.  however its doesnt spike unles its poorly setup.

iirc vRSCarl found that the revo settings they used on his(which resulted in some timing pull) gave higher Hp/tq figures, however when the settings were wound down to produce no timing pull the peak output reduced slightly, but the overall power curve smothed out and made the car faster overall as it didnt spike so much

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »
I see what your saying but did that ultiamately make much difference over stage 2 on its own. I also understand K03 cars are slightly have slightly different stage 2 and 2+ maps, requesting different amounts of boost, so the same logic doesn't neccesarily apply to a K04. Just what I've been told so can't offer any more of an explanaiton than that.

Cheers.

Anyway what I really wanted from  this thread were comments about how people found adding a pump to their K04 car effected the way it drove, and also weather I'd expect a big bang from reving so high.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:05 pm »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:50 pm »
I assume that the car was either dyno tested or datalogged during the setup, if so the tuner will have setup the car to suit. We often dyno test cars that feel like they pull hard to 8k rpm but in reality the power is dropping off well before the limiter.

what were your final settings? (will be written on the customer registration form that you recieved with the remap)

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »
I fitted the APR pump while on Revo stg 1 and found it really cleaned up the midrange more than anything, I was running B6 T6 F9 at this point, which gave a really progressive strong midrange. Looking back I would have been happy leaving it there but temptation got the better and 2+ it was :smiley:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »
Peak power will usually be between 6200 and 6800 on a stage 2+ car, depending on the additional mods you have. Power tails off after 7krpm and so it isn't usually worth holding on for the last 400 rpm unless you have a manual and are just approaching the end of a 1/4 mile. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »
Gaz and VRSy,

Yes on reflection the pump has smoothed things out a lot, (I suppose more linear), as before (and I'm exagerating here) it seems a little on and off before.

It keeps me satisfied for a while, I guess until I start dreaming of a bigger intercooler.

PDT and Hurdy,

I've since taken a look at some logs and also been advised by my tuner that peak power does come in at somewhere around the 6500rpm mark, so little point in going to 7400rpm. - I'm still experimenting as this pump new map set up is only a day old. - I'm guessing based on advice 7k is about right for a change up??

As I noted in my original post I'm just trying to get some opinions on driving style with this set up to preserve longivity, maximise enjoyment and performance. I'm not querying whether the set up is wrong I have great faith it is right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:19:18 pm by Rob GTI »