Make a donation

Author Topic: I have a mechatronic issue but no warranty ! help !  (Read 11914 times)

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
I have a mechatronic issue but no warranty ! help !
« on: August 13, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
As title, just read the previous post and thought rather than hijack that one, as they are talking about warranty !

I have none ! :sad1:  Car is a 56 plate and came out of warranty in October 2009 !

And i defo have a lurchy car !

Can anyone advise the best way to solve ?? has anyone fixed theirs out of warranty ? know any indys who have experience !

I dont have a grand !

Thanks in advance

:popcornsoda: :popcornsoda: :popcornsoda: :popcornsoda:

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Saint Steve

Re: I have a mechatronic issue but no warranty ! help !
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »
I would consult your local dealership. If you have regular service history with them im sure they will come to some sort of agreement.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33:37 pm »
I tried that !

They said it would not be worth my while as the previous owner was three months late on the third service !    :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Really annoyed by it to be honest as never even heard of this when i bought it ! previous owners must have known !
 :fighting: :fighting:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »
Have you tried getting p*ssed off with VW customer services? That's your next phone call. After that, I'd be inclined to suggest to VW that you'll get an RAC engineers report on the unit, and look to some sort of partial meeting of the costs. After all, it's widely held that in cases of Teves ABS faults or aircon compressor snafu, they generally stump up if there's a full service history and the car's less than 5 years old.

Don't back down.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »
I think I may try VW Stockport as some members seem to have more luck with them !

VW manchester were completely disinterested !

Let battle commence !  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:08 pm »
Stefan,

Where did you get the Car from? VW, Other Garage or Private? How many miles has it done?

Reason i ask is VW have a 12 Month used car Warranty.

Warranty Clicky

And a little quote from it

Quote from:
For cars over 3 years of age and under 100,000 miles.
The extent of this cover depends on the age and mileage of your car - but it provides a minimum 'named component' cover to ensure your car is protected against the cost of parts and repair in these areas:
Engine
Gear box
Suspension
Braking system
Drive-line components
Steering system
Clutch

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »
Try VW UK Stefan, in the US they sent a letter to all affected owners -

<VIN>
<CUSTOMER NAME>
<CUSTOMER ADDRESS>
<CUSTOMER CITY STATE ZIPCODE>
<MONTH YEAR>

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): <VIN> Subject: Customer Satisfaction Program 37E6/S8 - Mechatronic Unit

Dear Volkswagen Owner,
Some customers have reported transmission performance issues under certain driving conditions. This was due to a potentially faulty component inside the transmission’s mechatronic unit, and affects a limited number of 2007- 2009 model year Volkswagen vehicles equipped with a DSG transmission. Our records show that your vehicle was built within the production date range of vehicles that may experience this issue.
What is the issue, and what can happen?
In some vehicles it is possible that a bushing inside the mechatronic unit has the potential to wear out prematurely, causing the clutches inside the transmission to operate less smoothly than before. As this wear occurs, the driver will begin to notice changes in the way the vehicle feels as the transmission shifts (jerking). While this change can become very pronounced, the vehicle remains safe to drive.
What will Volkswagen do?
We have sufficient part supply on-hand to replace the mechatronic unit in your vehicle. We will make loaner vehicles available at no charge.
What we would like you to do
If your vehicle is exhibiting the symptoms described in this letter, or at your convenience, please contact your dealer and arrange for an appointment to have the mechatronic unit replaced in your vehicle. When making your appointment, please provide your dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) found at the top of this letter. Your dealer will pre-order the new mechatronic unit for your vehicle and have it on hand when you arrive for this service. This service will take about four hours and will be free of charge. Your dealer may need additional time for the preparation of the repair, as well as to accommodate their daily workshop schedule.
The warranty on the DSG transmission in your vehicle was extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date). Please refer to the letter we sent you previously for the warranty extension details.
Lease Vehicles
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified in this action, please forward this information immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of receipt of this notification.
Have you changed your address or sold the vehicle?
If you have, please fill out the enclosed prepaid Owner Reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.
The information in this document is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures are not intended to be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume this document applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an authorized Volkswagen dealer. !2010 Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. and Volkswagen Canada Inc. All Rights Reserved.
June 2010   37E6/S8 Page 7 of 61
Service help from us

If you have any questions regarding this action, please contact Volkswagen Customer CARE by phone or mail at:
Volkswagen of America, Inc. Attn: Customer CARE Center – Hills East (37E6/S8) 3499 West Hamlin Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48309 1-800-893-5298
We also invite you to visit our website at www.vw.com, where you can check to see if this or any other action may be open on your vehicle.

We appreciate the opportunity to update your vehicle so that it will continue to meet your high expectations. Thank you for driving a Volkswagen!

Sincerely,

Volkswagen Service & Quality
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »
Also you could try Warranty Direct.

Wait a couple of months and then claim for it through them :happy2:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
Stefan,

Where did you get the Car from? VW, Other Garage or Private? How many miles has it done?

Reason i ask is VW have a 12 Month used car Warranty.

Warranty Clicky

And a little quote from it

Quote from:
For cars over 3 years of age and under 100,000 miles.
The extent of this cover depends on the age and mileage of your car - but it provides a minimum 'named component' cover to ensure your car is protected against the cost of parts and repair in these areas:
Engine
Gear box
Suspension
Braking system
Drive-line components
Steering system
Clutch

Thanks Carl and Stu

I bought it privately and they had always had it serviced at VW Liverpool.

When it came to me, I called VW Liverpool and they said customer had asked for the DSG service not to be done and quoted £350 for a dsg service (as this was overdue by three months) so took it straight to Awesome GTI and they did it !

Think i may have a problem with above ??

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:48:09 pm »
Sorry

Car has done 50,000 miles

DSG was done 46,000 miles so 6,000 overdue when I got it !

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:50:38 pm »
Well, as long as it was done with VW spec parts, to VW schedule, theere can't be any complaints. However, you may have trouble if the service was done that far overdue. I can't see them being interested in any form of financial help. Thanks to a dumbass previous owner.

I'd give it a go anyway, though. At the very worst, you'll be no worse off as you are now.

Bummer, though  :sad1:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
It's going to be a battle but I would take it up with VW UK, tell them you are aware of the situation in the US and that you are prepared to take it further if necessary.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 05:52:47 pm »
I would give Warranty Direct a call if you have no joy with VW

DON'T let on you think you have a problem just ask general questions like is the DSG box covered. If they say yes get it in writing.

I am getting cover with them for the vRS IF they provide cover Like for Like on my Mods (which they have said they will but i want it in writing before i sign up and will be reading the get out clauses (small print) ) which is costing me £9 a month extra but will do me fine for peace of mind.

Might not be worth it but no harm in trying and could save you a headache later on :happy2:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:53:18 pm »
It's going to be a battle but I would take it up with VW UK, tell them you are aware of the situation in the US and that you are prepared to take it further if necessary.

Ok I will draft an email now and call them Monday !

Thanks everyone so far  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 05:54:25 pm »
I would give Warranty Direct a call if you have no joy with VW

DON'T let on you think you have a problem just ask general questions like is the DSG box covered. If they say yes get it in writing.

I am getting cover with them for the vRS IF they provide cover Like for Like on my Mods (which they have said they will but i want it in writing before i sign up and will be reading the get out clauses (small print) ) which is costing me £9 a month extra but will do me fine for peace of mind.

Might not be worth it but no harm in trying and could save you a headache later on :happy2:

How much did your warranty direct come out at if you dont mind me asking Carl ?