Make a donation

Author Topic: I have a mechatronic issue but no warranty ! help !  (Read 11911 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: I have a mechatronic issue but no warranty ! help !
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »
Be careful with the WTY direct route as I suspect they will want to see service history too.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 06:03:37 pm »

can waiting to have this repaired damage the car anymore !

Would the gearbox eventually wear itself out ??

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 06:06:12 pm »
Would have been £34 P/M but will be £43 to cover like for like (once i see it in writing) which is SecureCare Policy (the best one) from a franchised dealer. You can lower it by £6-7 by using a network dealer (basically any garage they approve).

Have a look at the website as you can get a quote on there.

This is what the SecureCare policy covers and i've highlighted Auto Tranmission for you.

Quote from:
For details of cover see Policy Document

The items under the following list are covered. Any item not specifically mentioned is not covered.

Engine
All internally lubricated parts, including but not exclusive to the following: cam followers, camshaft bearings, camshaft/s, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder bores, cylinder head, cylinder liners, distributor drive, gudgeon pins, liner seals, oil pump and drive, piston rings, pistons, rocker gear/ tappet gear, timing chain and timing chain
tensioner, valve guides, valve springs, valves (excl. decarbonisation, burnt or pitted valves and valve seats), cylinder block, internal bushings, rear main seal Specified non-lubricated parts: cylinder head gasket, exhaust manifolds, flex plate/ auto drive plate, inlet manifolds, timing gears, cambelt and cambelt tensioner, crankshaft pulley, flywheel, ring gear, starter ring gear

Turbo
Intercooler, turbocharger, wastegate and actuator

Clutch
Clutch cable, master cylinder, pedal assembly, slave cylinder.

Manual transmission
Bearings, bushes, extension shaft, gears, selector shafts and forks, shafts, synchromesh hubs and rings, drive chains, gearlever

Automatic transmission
Automatic transmission clutches, bearings, brake bands, bushes, extension shaft, gears, internal governor (manual and electric), oil pump, servos, shafts, torque converter, valve block, valves, drive chains, gearlever, input shaft oil seal, modulator valve

Front Wheel Drive Unit
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts, front wheel bearings, universal joints

Rear axle
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts, rear wheel bearings

Four Wheel Drive System
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, couplings, front differential, inter-axle differential and lock, rear differential and lock, shafts

Propshaft
Centre bearings, universal joints, propshaft

ECUs
Engine ECU

Braking System
Brake servo unit, calipers, brake master cylinder, wheel cylinders

ABS
ABS pressure reducing and proportioning valves, ABS pump and control unit

Cooling System
Heater matrix, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, viscous fan coupling, water pump

Steering
Column shaft, couplings, idler box, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes, rack and pinion, reservoir, steering box, steering column tilt mechanism, track rods/ track rod ends

Fuel System
Airflow meter, cold start injector, diesel injectors, fuel distributor, fuel gauge, injection pumps, low pressure pumps, petrol injectors, tank sender unit, warm-up regulator

Electronic Ignition
Camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, ignition coils

Electrics
Alternator, alternator voltage regulator, engine cooling fan motor, electric window motors, front windscreen wiper motor, rear windscreen wiper motor, interior cabin fan motor, horn, indicator flasher unit, starter motor

Bodywork
Tailgate suspension struts

Casings
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a direct result of the covered failure of an insured part.

Alarm systems and immobilisers
Alarm systems and immobilisers are covered provided they were factory fitted by the vehicle manufacturer as part of the vehicle's original specification.

Oil Seals and Gaskets
Oil leaks that necessitate the removal of the engine, gearbox/ drive unit, driveshaft or differential unit to carry out repairs.

Only the components originally fitted as standard by the manufacturer are covered unless agreed in writing by us.

CLAIMS: 0870 750 0125
Fax: 0870 750 0126
Administration: 0870 750 0127
Email: info@warrantydirect.co.uk

May seem expensive but look at it this way - If your Mechatronic Unit & Aircon Compressor needed replacing in the same year your policy would have paid for itself straight away.

You may never need it and if you can get the Mechatronic done on it by paying £34 P/M you save yourself around £500-600 :happy2:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 06:06:49 pm »
OK just checked on warranty direct !

Must have had car serviced in past year ! it does not matter were (just serviced) :surprised:

Franchised Dealer £498

Indy Dealer £408

If VW UK does not work out which one would you go for ?

Also @ Carl - did you go for extra care or major care ???

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

can waiting to have this repaired damage the car anymore !

Would the gearbox eventually wear itself out ??

No it says in that link Stu posted that it is still safe to drive. It will just be more of an annoyance. As i said earlier though and Stu says, check the Small print as they may try to wangle out if it's not been serviced properly in the past :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 06:09:21 pm »
OK just checked on warranty direct !

Must have had car serviced in past year ! it does not matter were (just serviced) :surprised:

Franchised Dealer £498

Indy Dealer £408

If VW UK does not work out which one would you go for ?

Also @ Carl - did you go for extra care or major care ???

Answered in a post above mate  :P

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:10:38 pm »
^^^^
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Your to quick ! god damn it

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
Personally i would get the Franchised dealer care. Just for my own peace of mind that it "should" be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Your paying for it so get value for your money :laugh:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 06:17:47 pm »
What annoys me about all these refused warranty claims on a mechatronics unit because the DSG service was a few k over it's due date is, since how would an oil change prevent an electrical control unit from becoming faulty???  :confused: I can understand VW sticking to thier guns and are well within thier rights to tell you to jog on, but a 3k over due oil change isn't exactly going to cause this IMO..

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 06:20:05 pm »
What annoys me about all these refused warranty claims on a mechatronics unit because the DSG service was a few k over it's due date is, since how would an oil change prevent an electrical control unit from becoming faulty???  :confused: I can understand VW sticking to thier guns and are well within thier rights to tell you to jog on, but a 3k over due oil change isn't exactly going to cause this IMO..

I know ! And to be honest I went to dealers and all sorts before finding this one ! nobody mentioned it !

To be completely honest we did get this car cheap but as always ! note to self !

"if something is cheap there is a reason"

and here is mine !

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
My view on this is that yes the car may have been slightly overdue for a routine service however this part is acknowledged as being prone to failure due to a defect in manufacture.  So the point you are arguing is that the part would have failed regardless of the service.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »

Thank You's have now been given  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 06:42:26 pm »
How about an exchange gearbox?

I think Statllers have one or two, or try your local VW indy. Probably cheaper than VW?
Golf R gone.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »
If its any comfort mate, my mechatronic unit was faulty from 5K up to its replacement at 28K, only had it done due to being aware of the issues and had put the jerkiness down to a feature of the DSG, car still drove ok and recorded no faults in that time, good friend of mine also has a faulty one but never got round to sorting it under warranty and his car drives and performs fine too albeit a little jerky at times in 1st and reverse.. :happy2:

If you think about it, outside of the world of forums and in everyday joe motoring world there must be loads of faulty mechatronics with people who dont know any better or may not even care...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »
What symptoms is the car showing, if it is kangaroo hoping in reverse, then this can be very dangerous when on a drive with lots of children about, and god forbid you came close to running one of your neighbours kids over.
I am sure VW would be very interested in this when you point it out to them in a nice letter, also pointing out the terrible press that Toyota have had recently with dangerous cars.  :wink:

Mine actually was dangerous when trying to move one inch in my garage, this was exactly at the same time as all the toyota drama was unfolding, 3 days later i had a new one.  :smiley: