Make a donation

Author Topic: Start of the slippery slope - is there any difference between Revo & APR?  (Read 8015 times)

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
In Manchester now!!!
Great weather lol.
REVO needed to have commitment (heavy foot) else it felt a little like stock  APR just seems to come in sooner and smoother.
Think I have answered my own questions now.  :smiley:
Not chasing any figures just want a little more grunt for everyday driving.

Should have added car is DSG too
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
nice one enjoy  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
I'm going APR Stage 2 on RS4 very soon.

I was considering a MK6 and going down this road but I fancy a change.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
ive seen the difference a stage 1 shark performance made on an S4 map and that was impressive so id love to see what a stage 2remapped RS4 goes like

Offline pat15312

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
in my experience, apr like to do work with there own stuff, revo are just a software company so they are more open minded.
if your using apr stage 3 parts then apr stage 3 map would suit you best.
if your going to an atp gt3071r kit with various other manufacturers bits and bobs, you'd be better off with revo.
i have personally used revo before and they are good guys and can't fault the software in any way :)
Audi S3 s-tronic (Week 46)
Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloys | LED headlights
Super sports seats | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior lighting pack
Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reverse Camera
AAC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headligh assist | Privacy glass | TPMS

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
The thing that is drawing me towards APR is the use of the CC stalk and the way the car now pulls from low revs.  Thought it was good before  :smiley:

The Revo reports and the K03 golf I drove are nothing like this, and from what I understand from Dyno graphs they are more power higher end.  But I can't seem to find an APR graph...
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
Running APR Stage 2 on my Mk5 with Carbonio intake and APR RSC exhaust.  It gives a good smooth power delivery, plus it also sounds the mutts nuts!  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
The thing that is drawing me towards APR is the use of the CC stalk and the way the car now pulls from low revs.  Thought it was good before  :smiley:

The Revo reports and the K03 golf I drove are nothing like this, and from what I understand from Dyno graphs they are more power higher end.  But I can't seem to find an APR graph...

this is why my choice was between shark performance and REVO as id seen graphs for and driven both.  couldnt find a k03 GTI APR dynoo graph or review from the UK.  only the yanks who were making 400Hp from their stage 1 remaps :grin:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html

are you manual or DSG box? as REVO may have the edge if you have DSG then you can get a matched software set for only 1 supplier (engine and dsg maps  :laugh:)

I can confirm that the DSG map is just amazing. The power is immense, to say that all I have is Stage1 with no other power mods at all.  So far, when I have had a chance to put my foot down, It just pulls and pulls and pulls. I waited for the power to drop off, but instead I have either run out of road or bottled it when looked at the speedo. 
Touch the pedal lightly, and the car is super smooth  :innocent:, but plant your foot down, and hold on to the steering wheel!!!  :evilgrin: (again totally smooth)

All I can say is that the Revo I have has totally transformed my car, and now I feel like I am never gonna sell it. It is FAR FAR better than I ever imagined Stage1 would ever be :happy2:

.........I might have been just as blown away with the APR map. I don't know mate. It needs to be amazing if it is Revo's competition.  :wink:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
 :happy2:
the point about having a DSG map is that it removes the OE function that backs the power off as you near the redline  :surprised:, so with no other engine changes just fitting a DSG map alone is going to feel like youve gained xx bhp (because you have  :signLOL:) at higher rpm.

so stg1 map AND DSG map = a double whammy of power increase (for a DSG car that is)  :pomppomp:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
you shoud never believe graphs ! that's the first thing.

all dyno runs are done on WOT and in day to day driving it is much more important how the car acts on half throttle as well.

i am an APR man myself , but to be honest , both companies have had years to perfect their software for this platform , so both should be good.

APR has a huge advantage if you use their hardware as well (HPFP , Carbonio , Exhaust) since the software was optimized for that hardware specifically and will give better results than a generic software.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
^^^^
It's swings versus roundabouts. Both Revo and APR are very good.. It's all already been said what the advantages of each are.

Don't forget that each modded car is different and has different hardware mods which influence things.

I have Revo2 with RevoDSG on K03.. Am very happy indeed for my style of driving.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Well APR it is.

Had the full fat map put on today and the car is just what I want. Really smooth and huge amounts of power when you press the loud pedal.

Revo was too harsh. Felt a little all or nothing in traffic.

Love the cruise control options too.

Good and bad. £400 offer at Awesome at the moment. Bad road tests but no rollin road dyno. 
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
I think it's mostly Revo customers on here TBH.

There are many APR customers out there...many on Seatcupra.net

I had APR Stage 1 AND 2 with APR HPFP and RSC exhaust on my ED30...great combo with the cruise.

The map is super smooth.

Now back in a 200BHP  MK2 16V !!...with diif / shorten FD and more...it's quicker on track which is the reason I got the car back....I /TSR built it 7 yrs ago...in VW Driver in a couple of months.

Back to maps...they are both good maps I'm sure but the cruise option and the R&D by APR swung it for me.

The MK5 needs serious money thrown at it for track work being that much heavier and the need to cool everything down ie FMIC and brakes as well as the usual stuff hence why the MK2 Golf is serious value as a track weapon...MK5 is a very good road car though. 
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower

The MK5 needs serious money thrown at it for track work being that much heavier and the need to cool everything down ie FMIC and brakes as well as the usual stuff hence why the MK2 Golf is serious value as a track weapon...MK5 is a very good road car though. 

....So true! I kinda enjoy my slightly compromised hybrid though - Fast road but occasional track though not on the absolute limit in either case. Also why I've stayed at Stage 2 remap.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!