Make a donation

Author Topic: Super Pro Wishbone Bushes with Anti Lift (The WALK Alternative) Review  (Read 26767 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Why

As said by John_O in his white line anti lift kit review, it's a simple and cheapish way to reduce understeer and improve steering response on the Mk5 based vehicles.

In my case as the WALK isn't suitable due to differences with the casing / mounting for the Mk6's with ACC/DCC option.

So after a bit of research I found Super Pro did a replacement bush with anti lift, so no need to replace the casing  :happy2:

Sourcing

The main part I purchased was: -

Front Control Arm, Rear Bush Kit With Anti Lift (P/N SPF3273K) = List Price £79.98 plus VAT

This was supplied by the TT Shop in Bedford  :happy2:

Fitting

I had mine fitted by the TT Shop, I also got them to replace the other front wish bone bush (Front Control Arm, Front Bush Kit (P/N SPF3346K) = List Price £40.99 plus VAT), this isn't required but I felt as the car was being pulled apart it's might as well be done.

Here are some pic's the TT Shop kindly took of the install process: -

And the car on the ramp ready for alignment: -

All done: -

In total the installation took 2.5 hours  :smiley:

Other versions

As mentioned above the main alternative is the White Line Anti Lift kit, but this isn't suitable for the latest generation cars like mine.

Power flex also offer poly replacement bushes but don't offer a version with the anti lift design.

Plus Points

From the couple of days of driving the car since installation I feel the plus points are: -

• Improved steering feel, mostly on turn in

• Reduced understeer on low/medium speed corners

• Even more resistance to wheel hop on standing starts (compared to just having the VWR fast road lower engine mount

Minus Points

For me none, but some may notice that the steering does feel slightly heavier, but not to the point where normal driving is compromised.

Summary

On my Mk5 I had the WALK installed before any other suspension mods so didn't notice a huge difference at the time, however this time I have had it installed after a lower engine mount, anti roll bars and lowering springs. Now I feel it's brought the whole package together and for the money is a really positive mod.

The car generally feels better on the road and handles the power much better through the front wheels. Roundabouts where the front of the car would understeer easily are much more controlled and faster corners the car feels more stable too.

So despite it needing a little more labour time to install which effectively makes it's a very similar price to the WALK I, at this stage, think the Super Pro route is a slightly better over all  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Super Pro Wishbone Bushes with Anti Lift (The WALK Alternative) Review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »
i guess its the orientation of the bush in the control arm mount that produces the extra castor, but is there not potential for incorrect geometry either side if its slight of centre or would it be to little to little to notice?.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »
I missed this PG.  Looks a good mod.  :party:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:37 am »
sweet writeup thanks Steve :happy2:

do they do a mk5 version?
One huge benefit of this over WALK is stealth, my VW dealer ALWAYS comments on the WALK kit (as the pieces are bright shiny gold) when it goes in for servicing/work.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:35 am »
Great review Steve,

I have been running these on my car since december (along with every other bush on the car replaced too)... pretty much since they first came out!
We had fitted customer supplied WALK kits but wearnt overly impressed with the actual bush material...

When you see the testing processes the superpro kits go through you can see why they work so well... its good to know there properly developed!

Its worth noting that then can be supplied in 2 versions too... the slightly softer version and a "race" harder version  :smiley:

Luke
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »
sweet writeup thanks Steve :happy2:

do they do a mk5 version?
One huge benefit of this over WALK is stealth, my VW dealer ALWAYS comments on the WALK kit (as the pieces are bright shiny gold) when it goes in for servicing/work.

Yep the same bush fits the Mk5, it's just the outer casing that changes between the Mk5 and some Mk6's  :smiley:

i guess its the orientation of the bush in the control arm mount that produces the extra castor, but is there not potential for incorrect geometry either side if its slight of centre or would it be to little to little to notice?.

I would think it's too little to notice, but having the alignment checked after the install should show up any major problems, mine need very very little adjustment on the front after the installation of the two sets of bushes  :happy2:

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:04:51 pm »
I have them fitted all around on my A3 by VWR.

As SteveP said:

Improved steering feel, better turn in

Reduced understeer

Sharper Handling

I love them. :happy2:
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nenaqvhtkuf1jhvabi3ik29sb7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »

This is one reason why I decided against this in favour of a whiteline one.  Surly they need to be lined up fairly accurately?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 08:25:38 am »
Nice write up steve. I'm liking the tt shops set up. It's nice to see a business doing well packed full of gizmos and proper tools to get the job done right ;)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:53 pm »
Strange one this, I fitted a whiteline WALK kit to a Golf MK6 GTi with the ACC/DCC quite a few months back with no issues with the fitting.  Dave at the tt shop did mention to me a few weeks ago that he had a MK6 in and the WALK kit didnt fit it and I was quite surprised.

We use superpro bushes and they are great.  Much prefer them to the Powerflex items.

Nice write up.  :happy2:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:55 am »
^^^ I think it would have fitted but the alignment would be out, it was only because Dave compared the original to the WALK side by side he found the issue: -

The second image show the difference in the general shape, so when the mounting holes are lined up the centre hole of the walk and the original bush is about 10mm different.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:23 pm »
Its actually meant to be different in shape.  They have done that to get the different caster and camber settings.  The console for the TT arms is completly different, but the WALK still fits fine and give a great caster angle.  Im fitting the WALK kit on my other halfs Altea tonight so will get some pics of the two consoles next to each other.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:14:14 pm »
So am I right in thinking that it's a good idea to change the WALK's supplied bushes to the Superpro version? (on a Mk5 GTI)

And is there any problem fitting WALK+Superpro together with TT wishbones?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 02:02:25 pm »
You could change the whiteline bushes to the non walk superpro bushes.  I personally dont think there is anything wrong with the whiteline bush its self, but the superpro bushes are of very good quality.

On my octavia I have the whiteline WALK with superpro front bushes on the TT arms.  Gives loads of caster and a min of 1.5 degs negative caster.  Next on the list is the S3/TT alloy hubs which lower the wishbones to make them flatter.  At the moment the arms are pointing slightly upwards which can have a slightly negative affect on the handling, but I cant really comment until the S3/TT hubs are fitted.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »
sorry. Must use search facility. I've given myself a good talking too.