Make a donation

Author Topic: spelling correction  (Read 12754 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: spelling correction
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:46 pm »
And what about when people are dyslexic.  :smiley:

We all do things in life that annoy others, Surely spelling mistakes can be over looked.  :wink:

....A Warm Welcome back, TC!  :drinking:

I agree about being tolerant of dyslexia and also accept that some folks are poor at spelling. However, I think it's fairly obvious when someone simply hasn't bothered to write in a manner which others can easily understand. I'm referring to the use of txt-speak (on forums) and absolutely no punctuation or use of capital letters.

If they can't be bothered to ask us for help in a way which is easily understood, why should we bother to spend extra time trying to understand their question?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:52:27 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »
ItZ GooD 2 B spine.  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »

ItZ GooD 2 B spine.  :laugh:

.... :signLOL: I just knew that would be your reply.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:41 pm »
I don't think the OP directly meant spelling mistakes, more the use of wrong words in a given context - brought and bought is the perfect example of it.

Hell, if it wasn't for the spell checker I'd make loads of spelling mistakes!  :grin:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 06:21:29 pm »
Spelling mistakes are one thing, but that's not what the OP is on about.

My big bugbear is when people make simple mistakes like:

accept/except
affect/effect
complement/compliment
decent/descent
discreet/discrete
enquire/inquire
personal/personnel
precede/proceed
principal/principle
queue/cue
stationary/stationery
there/their/they're
wander/wonder

For me, this can detract from the post.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:45 pm »
FFS, I really wish there was such a thing a dyslexia simulator so people could understand how easy it is for these thing you call "simple" to written incorrectly. Next time you post something wrong I will be sure to point it out.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
I (and I'd imagine other forumites) have no problem with dyslexia or any other condition (eg poor sight) that would cause problems with posts, Steve.

I don't intend to offend anyone but not everyone has dyslexia. Sometimes, it's lack of knowledge. I had problems with inquire/enquire and practice/practise but read up and learnt about the correct forms and usage.

Other times, it's just laziness - something I'm very occasionally a victim of if I'm on the iPhone, especially at night - but this is more in respect to lack of punctuation or capitalisation.

Surely, if we allowed posts to descend into "txt spk", then it merely increases confusion and problems?

Next time you post something wrong I will be sure to point it out.
Happy for you to do so!  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »
FFS, I really wish there was such a thing a dyslexia simulator so people could understand how easy it is for these thing you call "simple" to written incorrectly. Next time you post something wrong I will be sure to point it out.

http://webaim.org/simulations/dyslexia-sim.html

:notworthy:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:08 pm »
I (and I'd imagine other forumites) have no problem with dyslexia or any other condition (eg poor sight) that would cause problems with posts, Steve.

So do you want me to ask people to put in their sigs if they have a reason why their posts may contain incorrect spelling or grammar?

At least this way you can public shame people for these most heinous crimes.

Just try to remember this is a car forum not f*cking mensa.

I don't intend to offend anyone but not everyone has dyslexia. Sometimes, it's lack of knowledge. I had problems with inquire/enquire and practice/practise but read up and learnt about the correct forms and usage.

Agreed not everyone does, but some consideration that some people do wouldn't go a miss. Using terms like "simple mistakes" aren't great to read when you suffer from something you have very little control over.

Surely, if we allowed posts to descend into "txt spk", then it merely increases confusion and problems?

It's been in the site rules since the start that text speak is not allowed, and when people persistently use it they get a PM. Same for posting in capitals etc.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »

http://webaim.org/simulations/dyslexia-sim.html

:notworthy:

Thanks Stu  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:01 pm »
At least this way you can public shame people for these most heinous crimes.
I'm not trying to "out" anyone. I've seen many posts where I could try to correct someone but I generally just ignore it. It is a bugbear of mine but given this place isn't print, we can leave things be!  :happy2:

some consideration that some people do wouldn't go a miss. Using terms like "simple mistakes" aren't great to read when you suffer from something you have very little control over.
Agreed and I offer my apologies to anyone I unintentionally offended.  :grouphug:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:23 am »
^^^^

I'm very much with stealth on this one. Surely you don't have to be a brain surgeon to be able to recognise which posts are written by those with an unfortunate dyslexia handicap, and the posts written by those who are just plain lazy and/or illiterate. I guess that we shouldn't look down our noses at those who may be illiterate or who say they can't spell but can't people learn to spell? - Not just for the sake of this forum but for their own benefit.

Having dyslexia = Not having control and so we should all be tolerant and sympathetic.

txt-speak / total lack of punctuation / bad spelling = We all have control over that and should make the effort to do something about it.

It's easy to say that this doesn't matter but it matters a lot when someone uses txt-speak and no punctuation plus the wrong words ("there" instead of "they're" etc) and they then expect others to help them by replying to their posted questions.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:53 am »
The brought/bought one is one of the most common on here I have noticed. Does my head in. It's up there with people using YOUR instead of YOU'RE  :fighting:

YOUR is something that belongs to you, i.e. "YOUR car is nice"
YOU'RE is an abreviation of you are, i.e. "YOU'RE a genius"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 09:21:59 am »
I am correct in thinking that "bought/brought" and "your/you're" etc are not examples of dyslexia, am I? [genuine question]

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 09:30:17 am »
I am correct in thinking that "bought/brought" and "your/you're" etc are not examples of dyslexia, am I? [genuine question]
You are correct. It's just bad use of words.
My old boss was dyslexic and it was great some of the stuff he wrote... even he laughed at most of it. Especially the time when he wrote a note to the general manager asking that he couldn't get in to the chemical room because of the keypad lock and he needed 'axes' (instead of access). The GM came to me and asked if I thought we really did need axes to break the door down in an emergency   :grin: