Make a donation

Author Topic: Lap timers  (Read 2056 times)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Lap timers
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:43:01 am »
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had experiences with advanced GPS lap timers. I''ve found some on the market like RaceChrono , Rlc racing, Starlane, Racelogic...Besides the lap-timing itself, many of them have very interesting features like track mapping, auto recognition of finish line, show of acceleration and deceleration areas, split the track into 3-4 intermediates, show the driving lines for each lap so you can see where you did wrong...Now, I liked most the Starlane Stealth GPS-3 but it seems to be conceived for bikes and I don't see how to fix it inside a car or power it from the cigarette 12V lighter (the provide a wire to power it directly from the battery) ! What's your thoughts on this ?
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline _Nathan_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Race Data Systems - Motec Cosworth Aim Racelogic
Re: Lap timers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:48:56 pm »
Yep, lots of experience, of your list I've only heard of race chrono and racelogic.

What is it you want to acheive? The more expensive systems are more accurate so allow better analysis of lines and will give more representative lap times. Some of the phone based ones are useless, 4 seconds a lap different at Spa compared to a more accurate version for example!
E90 M3, E46 CSL Race car

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:31:11 pm »
Took the Harry''s lap timer for Iphone recently but didn't have the chance to test it yet. It has all the tracks that are of interest to me and several POI's for each, including automatic start when you pass by the start point and video rec function !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »
Harrys Lap Timer is only good if you JB your iPhone and sync with an external BT receiver. Otherwise its not accurate.

However, once you get this working it is superb.  :happy2: The video overlay is awesome.