Make a donation

Author Topic: CG-Lock  (Read 7605 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
CG-Lock
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:34 am »
I was browsing through an old copy of VW Driver Magazine and was reminded about a product that I had added to my shopping list last year, but subsequently forgotten about - the CG-Lock. 

The product is a simple idea and I decided to give it a shot at £40 excl VAT and shipping... I ordered two last Friday and they promptly arrived today through the post.  It was a bit tricky fitting the piece, but then it doesn't help when you're trying to slide a bracket from the wrong side.... 10 minutes later  :sleepy:  Eureka!  I had a radical idea and tried to slide the bracket from the other 'wrong' side.  :rolleye:  There's an installation video on the site for those with more patience/intelligence to sit through it.

I have to say that this is one of those devices that adds far more to your driving experience than its cost suggests.  The countless rave reviews are spot on and you feel that the car hasn improved suspension and handling and is a revelation when cornering hard.  Of course, the car hasn't changed, but you no longer get thrown about by the movement of the car and your driving experience is transformed.  If you do trackdays in your car and haven't got a harness, get one of these things.

Well worth the money and I wouldn't want to be without one now  :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:20:31 am by illyun »

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: CG-Lock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:21 am »
That looks very interesting, great write-up Illyun!

It mentions on their website about group buys - so I'm guessing they are willing to offer potential discounts...I wonder if anyone will be interested in this.. :smiley: :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:34:08 am »
I think these are great. Had one in my car for about two years, couldnt live without it now.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57:11 am »

How are they regarding UK car insurance? I ask because I recently heard that even changing the belt is a no-no.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:24:49 pm »
Never thought of that, Cant see it being as problem as it doesnt effect the workings of the belt, or actions in an event of an accident. You not modifying the atually belt mechanism, just adding on this part to the strap.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:33:10 pm »
^^^^
Also, I would expect it's not a problem because surely the manufacturer would have checked the legal safety and MOT questions?

Worth asking though as it could be devastating in an insurance claim and especially if someone was injured.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
^^^^
To answer my own question : -

Linky : - Info under Technical FAQ's

They appear to be legally acceptable  :happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:27:18 pm »

How are they regarding UK car insurance? I ask because I recently heard that even changing the belt is a no-no.

Never gave it a thought  :rolleye:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:44:21 pm »
hmmm after reading RR's concerns...and reading their tech info about crash testing it doesn't state anywhere about the active 'state' of this device AFTER the tests.

ie if you suffer a side impact or a shunt that allows the center sections of the car to get moved towards the driver or the seat towards the buckle, how easy is this to release if damaged? i don't carry a knife around to cut a seatbelt but the paranoia side of me wonders wether this would prohibit a speedy exit from the car if it were damaged?

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:01 pm »
These are really for trackdays and the like. I did use mine to hold the car seat in as it had a tendency to loosen over time but not with the CGlock. You need to be carefull when letting the seatbelt go out your hand fast incase you smack your interior.

I am gonna be selling mine when i get it out of storage,

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 09:56:30 pm »
I bought two of these babies when I was at the Autosport show last year. :happy2:

They are excellent in use, but I have found that people who don't know about them struggle to use them when getting in the car. I wouldn't be without one now as I feel they secure you in the seat much better than the ordinary belt does. They fit over the original belt in minutes and can be dismantled just as fast. I have listed them on my insurance as a modification and so will not have any issues there. I can assure you that there are no downsides at all from what I can see. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 10:19:24 pm »
^^^^
You with Greenlight, Hurdy? (I am since yesterday)

Shame not to see you at the Pod tomorrow.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »
i dont get it :s

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 12:22:08 am »
^^^^
You with Greenlight, Hurdy? (I am since yesterday)

Shame not to see you at the Pod tomorrow.

No I'm with Adrian Flux. Insurance coming up in May, so I'll see what happens around then :happy2:

Wish I could come Robin, but even if I could It'd probably be too much for me at the moment. Still suffering the after effects of no food or sleep for nearly 2 weeks :sick: although losing a stone is probably the only upside (but I don't recommend it to anyone to try :sick: :sick: :sick:)

Enjoy :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 12:24:23 am »
i dont get it? it holds the seatbelt in place?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats