Make a donation

Author Topic: ARB bracket snapped....AGAIN!!!..UPDATE 10/04/2009  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
ARB bracket snapped....AGAIN!!!..UPDATE 10/04/2009
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »
Oh FFS!!!! :fighting: :mad:

The Autotech Front drivers side bracket has snapped yet again :sick:

This is now twice in under a year. The first time a replacement pair of brackets were fitted that were thicker than the first, yet one has still broken again.

I don't know what to do now as they both catastrophically snapped at low speed whilst turning a tight corner. I'm basically going to be driving on tenterhooks all the time thinking that one may go again. I daren't take the car on track for fear of a failure at a higher speed and basically want the front ARB back as a stock item or something like an Eibach ARB replacement....at least something I can have more confidence in :scared: :scared: :scared:

Car is once again condemned to the garage until a replacement can be sourced :sad:

Any advice welcome!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:01:16 pm by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
Re: ARB bracket snapped....AGAIN!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »
 :sad: surely this is something thats well known with them as its now happened twice to you? :( 

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:38:10 pm »
Autotech say not!

Last time it went I e-mailed them and they replied saying that they have only had "failures they can count on one hand" out of several hundred sets that they have sold. My answer to this is.....B***ocks. There are postings in the USA about Autotech ARB failures that amount to more than that!! :fighting:

Anyways, I have e-mailed them again and see what they say this time. Autotech aren't cheap and as such I expected a higher quality product, or at least one that didn't snap every 5 months at a cost of time and money to me. I don't know how I'll get this resolved, but I'm damned sure it ain't me who'll be out of pocket at the end of it. :angry015: :angry015: :angry015: :mad: :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:44:05 pm »
Sorry to hear this again pal, so do you think the ARB is basically to stiff and the brackets can't cope and there the first thing to give?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »
i was just thinking this gaz, weakest link n all.

but to put in an ARB with less torsional rigidity is going to compromise the ride and purpose of an ARB.

surely surely surely autotech cant fob you off with this. it seems like their R&D has been cut short with the mk5 golf!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:54:43 pm »
Sorry to hear this again pal, so do you think the ARB is basically to stiff and the brackets can't cope and there the first thing to give?

The ARB is a 25mm hollow construction and is purported to be as stiff as a 25mm solid bar with only 70% of the weight. The ARB should be fine, but the brackets (even the newer ones) look like they have been cold pressed into shape with 90 degree angles that are too sharp for the steel and therefore inherently weak at these two points. Both brackets have broken at the same point on the 90 degree bend and both under the same circumstances (very low speed (10mph ish) tight bend). I'm waiting on a call back from JBS to see what they can do for me. Having brackets on a car that are so weak that they can't stand up to normal road use at low speed is a complete joke and as I think about it more, the more p!ssed off I am getting about it.
Golf R gone.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:03:46 pm »
but I've never heard of the brackets snapping when using other aftermarket ARB's, Eibachs etc, I've used them for 15k+ plus, so has Joe and countless others, maybe the Autotech ones are stiffer thats what I was thinking :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:16:15 pm by gazbutS3 »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:12:47 pm »

Very sorry to hear this, John - And, yes, it hardly gives you confidence while driving!

As it's happened twice I would insist on full refund of what you paid for them and then use the money towards more reliable ARB's.

If you got them through Awesome or similar, they'll refund you under warranty. Awesome were first rate in the case of my failed Koni FSD's from 2005 with 50k miles on them.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:44:30 pm »
This isn't good. As you know, I snapped a bracket and was promised the new set are indestructable.. I guess not?

Neuspeed do a 25mm ARB, I wonder if they'll sell the brackets seperately??

However, in the mean time - I think you need a hero?? I've got a spare, so long as you get me another/return it, you're welcome to it.

Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:45:40 pm »

Very sorry to hear this, John - And, yes, it hardly gives you confidence while driving!

As it's happened twice I would insist on full refund of what you paid for them and then use the money towards more reliable ARB's.

If you got them through Awesome or similar, they'll refund you under warranty. Awesome were first rate in the case of my failed Koni FSD's from 2005 with 50k miles on them.

I got mine from JBS and they were great dealing with it last time. Unfortunately I got rid of the stock arbs ages ago thinking I wouldn't need them again :ashamed:

The issue also would be whether or not JBS would do all the replacement work for free as I definitely don't want to be out of pocket!
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »

The issue also would be whether or not JBS would do all the replacement work for free as I definitely don't want to be out of pocket!

....They certainly should do! They take a responsibility as the supplier and should apply to the manufacturer for their labour reimbursement.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 04:59:28 pm »
You've seen my message above/PM, right?
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 05:00:46 pm »
Thanks for the offer of the bracket TD :happy2:

I'm sticking with trying to get the bracket replaced with either a Neuspeed ARB or an Eibach ARB. In the meantime I'll have to nick the wife's motor.
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 05:03:52 pm »
Fair enough, let me know if you get anywhere with finding/fitting an alternative - as I'd be interested in having some decent ones too.

Might have a word with my mate's engineering shop and see if something a little stronger can be made up too.
Sideways yo!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 05:16:10 pm »
so are the brackets an autotech item or do the std 1's get used?