Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Intake  (Read 9121 times)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Air Intake
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »
Hi Guys looking for some help and opinions on air filters/ intakes you have on your GTis....

Iv been looking at the Carbonio  on Awesome and have almost decided on this one but i wanted to see if there was anything else worth checking out, Iv seen others such as pipercross and K&N but have leaned towards the Carbonio.

Im looking for more of a throaty noise- which one would you recommend or is there any thing else i should investigate??

RR how do you rate the Carbonio ??

Cheers guys

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Air Intake
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
If you can hold off buying now, there may be a group buy on the BSH Trueseal intake in the future.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:12:20 pm »
The Evoms intake is regarded as one of the best out there, it maybe a little more pricey than others but it has been proven that it adss HP and improves the breathing substatially  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:08 pm »
EVOMs are very pricey... and for 8-10bhp £200+ sounds like a lot of money?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:41 pm »
Don't go for a carbonio just because it looks nice. Everything I've read on here about intakes tells me that you need to get a bigger, better intake (and better exhaust and remap) to get the most out of an upgraded CAI.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:35:19 pm »

RR how do you rate the Carbonio ??

....The Carbonio is good if you want to keep your engine cover panel filter box, as I did while I was in VW warranty. And it's cool eye-candy but it's relatively quiet and doesn't deliver as much bhp/torque gains as a filter-on-a-stick type.

The new Carbonio/APR for the latest GTI engine looks very promising because it has the filter properly enclosed and in the best ram position.

The problem with filters on sticks is that no-one, including the BSH (as far as limited pics show) have really sealed the filter from the engine heat. There are walled forms which the bonnet roofs over but you can see they aren't air-tight enough.

The GruppeM is probably one of the most efficient but it's mega expensive.

I know of two new air intakes being developed at the moment but I'd have to shoot you afterwards if I told you who the two manufacturers are. So, I'm hanging on to see what comes out.

Air intakes in themselves don't represent big returns for their cost but you have to consider what they contribute within the whole package of performance mods rather than in isolation. Many people unfortunately limit their thinking to how much can they get for their money in isolation.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:43 pm »
Thanks for all your replies guys, i guess at the moment until funds are more forthcoming i just want to have a bit more grunt in sound levels, i appreciate its a piece of the larger puzzle so not looking for drastic gains, i just want some more noise!!

Thanks for the detail RR, much appreciated! It maybe worth hanging on with your "inside" info as well as the potential group buy.

Whats everyone else running??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »
^^^^
I'm looking for a bit more sucky-sucky sound too and don't want too much power gain because my car is nicely balanced at around 240 bhp and I don't want to then have to get aftermarket intercoolers and fuel pumps etc.

The EVOMS sounds very rough and gravelly in my opinion (hated it on vRStu's Skoda) and too many people changed from EVOMS to the Dbilas so I think that EVOMS is no longer flavour of the month!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:51 pm »
"I'm looking for a bit more sucky-sucky sound too"

^^^^Arent we all  :happy2:

Exactly what you said im looking for a bit of deep tone, not the gains as at the moment i dont plan on changing pumps and coolers.

Although saying that i witnessed how you were "helped" into your recent purchase!!
Slippery lope yeah? Thanks for your input RR

If any one has any other suggestion let um roll,

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:35 pm »
"I'm looking for a bit more sucky-sucky sound too"

^^^^Arent we all  :happy2:

Exactly what you said im looking for a bit of deep tone, not the gains as at the moment i dont plan on changing pumps and coolers.

Although saying that i witnessed how you were "helped" into your recent purchase!!
Slippery lope yeah? Thanks for your input RR

If any one has any other suggestion let um roll,

the dbilas has a sucky sound. i like mine.

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »
the dbilas has a sucky sound. i like mine.
[/quote]

Cheers Keith, do you have any info??
Cost etc?? How long have you had it on?

Il google it now!!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:45:17 pm »
Its been on a while now and I am pleased with it, you lose the engine cover mind but thats no great shakes to me, you can buy the evoms replacement one but it looks  :sick:. Small animals scurry to the side of the road incase the dbilas sucks them up :grin: but under hard acc you can hear the intake breathing in the air its a strange noise, you can get them form Regal(calm now Red) again pricey.The odd one comes up on ebay now and again.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
I have a PiperCross Viper Kit.  It certainly gives a more pronounced "burble" when accelerating.  I also get the impression that the turbo whistling noise (when it spins up) is accentuated - but this may be a figment of my imagination.

As far as the stock VW air filter goes - it's very good.  It's positioned so that cold air is pushed into the engine.  Most others simply suck warm engine cabin air.  Remember, cold air is more dense than hot/warm air... so cold air gives u more grunt during combustion.

The great things about the PiperCross are:

1) Looks great with the Carbon fibre exterior
2) Chrome piping - this in itself dissipates heat and also does not expand with pressure - which increases air flow.
3) Has flexible piping at the other end so u can route cold air feed from lower down in the car.
4) Exceptionally light-weight construction

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 11:04:50 pm »
Just checked out the Dbilas on regal (Does RR have beef?) £365 aint cheap at all, but i do like!!  :happy2:

I quite like the Viper kit as well, priced well and sounds like il get what im after with the "burble" and i guess as an extra bonus i get to keep the engine cover, not that im anal bout that!!
Thanks for info mojo!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:49:55 pm »
^^^^
No 'beef' with Regal which should put anyone else off - I haven't been impressed by their customer service but others I know are very happy.

Yes, I was "helped" further down the slippery slope in my recent purchase, or rather encouraged. But I always wanted some Recaro Sports anyway, especially with my VWR-KW-V3 suspension, but wasn't seeking any and never thought some would come along.

If anyone thinks the Dbilas is expensive, check out the GruppeM - I think it's over £700!!