Make a donation

Author Topic: Why drive something like a Golf...  (Read 6436 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Why drive something like a Golf...
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »
... when you can drive something better than a Golf  :signLOL:. Just kidding lads, love your cars  :drinking:

Thought it was time for a build thread. Came from this:

2005/54 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport. Dad bought it brand new as a runaround when my mum was on holiday (she was NOT impressed), but after he never used it i inherited it for uni :driver:

After having the car in the family for 5 years or so, i felt i wanted a bit more power and when i graduated in 2010 my parents gave me a loan to buy this:

2006/55 A3 2.0T S-Line bought from Teeside Audi with less than 22k on the clock. spec is as my sig. stayed standard for a day, before i picked up some MY09 rear lights:

a few weeks later i saw some TT air vents going cheap so i picked those up:

after that i saw some facelift centre console buttons, so picked those up:

then came lows, in the form of 2nd hand Weitec Hicon GTs. didn't realy need the adjustability, just wanted to set it exactly as i wanted:

once it was lowered i noticed the tracking was off despite having a 4 wheel alignment done when the coilies were fitted. an inspection at Midland VW who had done the work came up with a defective tyre. the tread wasn't mated to the sidewall properly for about 1/3 of the circumference:

thankfully this was swapped for a new tyre by Audi under warranty!! was a Toyo T1-R as well, not even a tyre Audi normally sell!

then some thoughtful soul decided my car needed a custom logo on the bonnet:

bit of snow around this time last year:

and a shot after she'd been cleaned. taken on a night shift when i'd gone for a snack and looked back at it :ashamed: :

after that it stayed as it was for a while. my pay had dropped because i was doing less hours and i'd had to shell out for the cambelt/water pump combo, a major service and Audi spent something like 6 hours diagnosing a leaking coolant problem. turned out it was a split coolant pipe not covered under warranty. good thing i know my dealer well, he bent over backwards to lower the price and even dropped the price of the fixed price servicing items. i still got owned tho:

decided after that i wanted to spend some money on an RNS-E unit. found this 2010 unit going reasonably from an ASN member who'd bought it for a car he never ended up buying:

then again, a few months of nothing before i got a BSH True Seal. really love this mod, but got an idea for an engine cover that will happen shortly  :smiley: :

then shortly after that BBS VZs. i know they looked similar to my factory wheels, but they were lighter and it saved me buying spacers and getting my old wheels refurbed. didn't like the colour at first, but it's grown on me now:

for now that's it. i've got a few bits that are sat in my living room waiting to go on:

NQS BBK
WALK

and i'm gonna be buying an Autotech rear ARB and the underbody aero stuff which will all go on at the same time!

got a few other plans, so watch this space  :evilgrin:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:20:41 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Why drive something like a Golf...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:25:42 pm »
Very nice  :happy2:

I had a silver s-line 2.0TFSI a few years back - they are very nice cars  :smiley:

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:40 pm »
Looking brill mate.

Made me laugh about 'better than a golf' though.  :wink: :grin:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:48:43 pm »
Looking brill mate.

Made me laugh about 'better than a golf' though.  :wink: :grin:

lol cheers lad

the only car i've ever fallen in love with at first sight was an Ed30, so my dig at the Mk5 was very much tongue in cheek. i just thought that i'll probably be keeping this car a while and the 8P hasn't changed shape so i wanted a newer looking car. i actually think there's several reasons the Mk5 is better. if you tell anyone tho i'll lie like a dog  :P
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
lookin good  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:53:21 am »
Comment about Golfs made me laugh, very Tongue in cheek, I think on here A3's are known as "A Golf in a Fur Coat"  :P

Nice car and some good pics, dont show the pics of the snow to folks in Norfolk tho, 1" of snow and they panic like the worlds coming to en end  :fighting:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »
I think karma may have just bitten me in the ass. Did that Awesome RR today - worst day of my life  :sad1:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »
I think karma may have just bitten me in the ass. Did that Awesome RR today - worst day of my life  :sad1:

:surprised: :scared: :scared:

What happened?
Golf R gone.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:51:00 pm »
133bhp :sad1:

Sounded like a boost leak on the rollers, thought it was the bung for the DV relocation port being loose so went to B&Q to buy a jubilee clip for it at B&Q and noticed it's actually been resting up against one of the reservoirs and as the engine's moved around it's worn a hole in it.

Darren's very kindly agreed to do some logging for me tomorrow, gonna seal it up with gaffer tape and see if that solves the problem. (well, provided it WAS a boost leak to begin with - I've not noticed any problems with it out in the road, tho come to think of it it was a bit flat at the top end of the rev range.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:53:08 pm by sub39h »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 05:00:09 pm »
133bhp!!! :surprised:

Didn't you notice the power loss before?

That is worse than a 2.0 FSI without a turbo!

Hopefully, when it is all rectified you'll love the performance  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »
It's only apparent at higher revs so no never noticed it. I've been booting it around today and I notice it now but before I hadn't booted it. At low revs it's totally normal

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 05:58:44 pm »
Are you local to me as from your pic it looks like you use Listers for your servicing?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 06:06:22 pm »
That's from Birmingham Audi Approved, but i've since moved to Stoke

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »
That's from Birmingham Audi Approved, but i've since moved to Stoke
I thought it may have been Birmingham Audi, they are part of the Listers Group. The reg looks familiar too, I live in Stratford but work in Cannock.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:14:57 pm »
You may have seen me on my way to Midland VW