Make a donation

Author Topic: Review - Carbonfibre Fog Panels....  (Read 25574 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Review - Carbonfibre Fog Panels....
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:36 am »
i,m thinking i would like these on my BMP esp with my carbon grill mask holding the look together....
anyone else gotta thought?
sorry dragging up an old old thread :ashamed:
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 11:13:52 am »
^^^^
Firstly there's no need to apologise for dragging up an old thread - Especially as it's a Review and it's good that a review is updated.

I think I wrote earlier in this thread that I wasn't at all sure about buying some at first - They are expensive and really mostly cosmetic. I found them a bit bling in direct strong sunlight at first but they seem to have weathered down without losing their protective lacquer.

On my car they match the bonnet vent and front splitter exceptionally well and they also look extremely good on Neil's white GTI. I'm also particularly pleased how well they house my aftermarket Hella LED DRL's - Much better than the oem fog panels did.

Fixing is a wee bit worrying but they do stay on! If you don't remove your whole front bodywork you'll have to drill your bodywork - Something that not everyone likes to do if they plan on putting their car back to standard when selling - I've gone far too far now to even contemplate such a future action!

If you do get some (TTshop are the sole European retailers: 01234 855 555 / Ask for Abi) make sure you check the carbon weave - Real CF weave is never perfect (like vinyl is) and laying over the complex shape of the foglight recess is a tricky area. Ask TTshop to inspect them before sending to you. Riso (Mr OSIR) is now aware of the potential problem so they should be ok.

HTH  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 01:09:51 pm »
thanks mate for the reply
so you think oon black they will blend well enough or compliment what i va  already at the fron.
i,m also planning  a reiger front similar to joe and gasp horror contemplating losing the red splitter if i do, but i,m tring to work out if i can have a mini version in the middle of the reiger bumper.if that makes sense. i might ask for a photoshop as and when i buy it! :ashamed:
these are the versions i,m going for
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280318255511&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i am hoping that as they are made by same people the grain/texture will match.
 fitting. i,m not concerned with drilling as i,ll prob have to replace the front if i decide to sell, but i doubt it, this cars a keeper :evilgrin:
thanks again for your input
matsu

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 01:34:16 pm »

Hi matsu,

It's of course down to personal taste but I think that black carbonfibre looks very good with black bodywork - It's quite subtle.

Those on eBay look like the genuine article and OSIR operates out of Hong Kong, so. I would ask the seller to show you the reverse side. Very good price if the genuine thing. Weave looks slightly 'off' on the one we can see (lower in the pic) but not horrendous.

Re the Reiger bumper, are you aware of Joe having broken two!(?). They look the same as the one from VWR but the VWR version is thicker and stronger (race proven!). There's no point in trying to fit a central splitter section - It won't do anything and will look tacked on in my opinion. I dunno what the cost differences are but if your car is a keeper......

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
haha poor joe! luv his car tho!!

i,ll look at the vwr one - have you a link?

and i,ll email seller about reverse and fitting. thanks for the tip.

shame about the splitter thing... its sort of my trademark here locally and i love the way it looks(all cred to greenouse really)
so i need another "thang" thats as distinctive but as subtle....mmmm lots of time to keep looking.
again cheers dude
matsu

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 03:42:52 pm »

i,ll look at the vwr one - have you a link?

.... www.racingline.com > Road Car Upgrades > Golf Mk5 > Body Upgrades > VWR Front Spoiler

:wink: [Perhaps RedRobin deserves a click on the Thank You star] :wink:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
there was always a big fanx coming your way fella!!! :star:
and a beer if i ever get to a meet!!

fanx again
matsu

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15:03 pm »

Always glad to help if I can, matsu :happy2: [But sometimes I get it wrong!]

A chilled Ribena will do nicely (I don't drink) :drinking: