Make a donation

Author Topic: Worth switching maps?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline scwheeler

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Worth switching maps?
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »
I had my std DSG ED30 remaped a year or so ago by my local tuner.

According to their dyno it makes 306bhp and 289ft/lb but based on the pre-remap figures that were in higher than published, it is probably closer to 280-290bhp.

Having read a bit I'm wondering if the torque is being limited by the DSG - under 280 ft/lb, and so wonder if I would benefit from a Revo DSG map and/or Revo Stage 1? I'm loathed to spend £600 (after GTI int. discount) to find it is 99% the same.

Whats everyones thoughts? I can upload my dyno graph if useful?

Thanks, Steve

Offline heavyd

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
Re: Worth switching maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
It all depends if you are wanting to go stage 2 or stage 2+ in the future.
If yes, then it may be a good idea to switch.

If you can get access to VCDS, you can check if the DSG box is limiting the torque by logging block122, might be worth while before you spend any more money :happy2:

Offline scwheeler

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:23 am »
Thanks Heavyd, that's a good idea re the VCDS - will see if there is anyone local with one (Surrey).

At the moment I keep switching between stage2/+ as not sure how noticeable it will be for quite a big investment.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:57 am »
I doubt you can really tell the difference between a 290 and a 300 bhp car in the real world of driving.

Why stretch the performance envelope any further? Better to spend any spare cash on handling mods, in my opinion.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
The 290 vs 300 thing is irrelevant, theres a lot more to an engine than just what happens at peak rpm under full throttle, heres an example:

Car is a 2011 Audi A4 2.0 TSi 211hp quattro. It is mapped on the dyno and makes very nice figures, but there are 2 maps that looked like ignition advance at part throttle which the dyno cant measure to an extent as they are only low throttle, low load based maps that play a part whilst pulling out of junctions or cruising.

Car is mapped, customer is happy after a test drive, goes really well on the road. Customer drops in the next day to give us feedback and asks if we can give it a bit more at light throttle, not wanting to touch the boost at these areas of the map I play with the load maps and the 2 ignition advance maps, do a bit of logging and return the car.

Customer returns after 10-15 mins and is blown away by the difference, so much so that he makes me drive it. I am amazed by the difference, It feels like 500kg has been removed from the car due to the low throttle response and the way the car drives and gets up to speed with very little throttle input. Instantly the car feels as if its gained loads of power, but on the dyno it will not make the slightest bit of difference to the torque curve or power output.

A good map isnt about high numbers at high RPM under full throttle, its about the driving experience as a whole. We see maps made by some tuners that are just a simple percentage change to the throttle map to make the car feel fast, others that only alter the boost/torque limiters/ign advance/fuel when the car is under 100% load. Think of an ECU map as a dynamic 4d object, not a 2d dyno plot.

Offline scwheeler

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
I agree Redrobin, doubt I could tell the difference, I guess just hate to think I'm missing torque performance <280ft/lb to Revos quoted 310ft/lb because of the DSG!!!

It actually all started due to the fact I 'feel' massive turbo lag with k04 turbo and asked some questions about reducing in.  So I totally agree with PDT for me it's about drivability which is a personal thing.  I dislike agressive throttle response but others love it. 

I was told a 200cell cat would reduce the lag without compromising lowdown torque and so started looking at maps and here we are, I guess the only way to find out would be to drive some different maps but easier said than done  :smiley:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:22:14 pm »
It could also be down to the dyno lottery.
I dont notice much lag at all, at any stage of tune :stupid:
If you drive a stage 2+ car, you'll want it doing :happy2:
After the trouble I had with my car, I planned to keep it stock, sold the APR pump, twintakle, catch can etc.
Didnt take long before I missed the power, and had to buy all new again :driver: