Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG maxogen - new enclosed filter information.  (Read 37714 times)

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
Re: Finally got one.. ITG with new enclosure.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:53 am »
The coolant pipes underneath are very close.   You could add flexi conduit or insulated heat proof wrap (if it fits on with the limited space), anything that prevent rubbing on the cannister.  Heat wrap ideally, reduce heat transfer to the cannister even more, I've a couple of lengths of heat wrap I might try when I get 5.

If you get chance send me a pic' of your slam panel adaptor and i'll compare it with mine.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:16 am »
The slam panel plate measures 20cm wide and 12 cm high and 4.5 cm deep at its thickest point tapering off to 2 cm deep (depth of the top edge that is)

The previous guy has already cut it slightly to fit his car but it doesn't seem to fit the golf at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:48:51 am by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 12:16:04 pm »
Just spoken to Andy at ITG... one of those freaky moments where your blown away by the customer service!

He somehow knew who I was, who i'd bought my kit from and what I was after while I was still half explaining that "I've got a golf gti and I've bought a ........" and that was as far as I got lol.

The golf slam panel part is indeed different and its now on its way.

Andy also said that this kit is never going to be released as an oficial all in one kit... however he is putting it together as an 'upgrade' kit for those who have the open filter version and would like to swap over but people will have to contact ITG (not this seconds as he sounds run off his feet and is still sorting it out) rather than it ever being for sale through resellers.

He has also given me tips on fitting so the canister doesn't go as low and touch the coolant hoses as much.

Also he said that this enclosed canister is rated for 340bhp BUT is run on a few BTCC cars running 360bhp+ and ITG have tested it at 360bhp and it records 7degrees C lower intake temps that the open system.

The open system is rated at 360bhp.

My humble stage 1 is 240bhp so im well within the limits of the enclosed smaller filter.

Need to get it fitted now. I've got to say I liked the darth vader noises but would be interested to see if this gets rid of my 'harmonica' type noise.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:21:11 pm by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »
Glad you got sorted  :happy2:.  I got mine from Andy and he was extremely helpful. IIRC Andy suggested spacing the cannister outlet pipe support bracket up with washers to reduce interference with the the coolant hoses running underneath.   

I liked the open filter to start with but I ended up becoming tiresome of it with the part throttle induction noise (must be my age!!!).  Wide open it was fine.  The gains were worth the noise though at the time.  The new cannister ticks all my boxes, hp gains and a reduction in noise from my old setup  :jumpmove:

People should expect to pay around the £200 mark for the parts to upgrade from open system to new cannister type.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:10 pm »
New canister in place at last. Not too bad in the end once Andy told me to space up the bracket that supports it.

I've fitted it without the slam panel adapter at the moment but its very secure with the bracket and strap and its still going to be force fed with air from the front as the canister opening is sitting right behind the grill air inlet.

Just about to take the laptop and go for a test / log but just revving it on the drive and it sounds like a rally car!  :driver:

The intake woosh doesnt sound as prominent but when you lift off and it comes back down the revs its burbling loads! Is this normal for the 2 of you that have this fitted? lol

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »
If i understand correctly, yes intake is quieter (particularly part throttle).  When backing off the throttle the turbo recirc' / control system etc is still reasonably prominent in noise.  At least you can hear everything working still which does have it's advantages.

Need to listen to it really to compare with mine. 

Get that data up  :party:.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

At least you can hear everything working still which does have it's advantages.

....A very valuable advantage in my opinion  :happy2:

And it's not just an advantage in identifying an air intake problem. Subconsciously you register every sound which is normal to your car's smooth running and any variation in those sounds then alerts you.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »
Just done a couple of logged runs with the enclosed canister. How to I post a xls file? I presume it will mean more to you guys than to me.

Also... unfortunately my 'harmonica' style whistle is still there from about 3-4k when pulling hard :( Thats the bit I dont like.

The darth vader style whooshing is al gone with the canister though. Only just louder than stock.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
XLS should be available from here (hosted it in the back end of my website.

http://u55158955@s300610021.websitehome.co.uk/UtilityImages/ITG%20closed%20log.xls

Temperature according to my dash was 19.5 degrees on run 1 and 20 degrees on run 2

h4rdy

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 04:49:09 pm »
192.5=240bhp  is that what you were hoping for?

http://u55158955@s300610021.websitehome.co.uk/UtilityImages/ITG%20closed%20log.xls

Temperature according to my dash was 19.5 degrees on run 1 and 20 degrees on run 2

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 04:52:51 pm »
192.5=240bhp  is that what you were hoping for?

Sorry I'm confused? You can tell my BHP from that chart? I was posting this to show intake volume and temp and im going to refit the open cone and do another run to compare now.

It was 236bhp before the intake so I'd have hoped for nearer 250bhp now tbh.

h4rdy

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »
Yes. Just take the highest flow figure and divide it by 0.8.

Apparently its very accurate and on a good dyno its usually about right.

Its the MAF reading btw.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
on that basis i'll be selling it again sharpish :)

£350 for 4bhp isnt quite what I was expecting.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:17 pm »
Some more photos comparing the filters. I took the enclosure off to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
Just for more info and comparisons, each Twintake filter (enclosed) is about the size of the enclosed ITG filter. The open ITG filter has a surface area more comparible with total of the Twintake's pair. I wonder if that has anything to do with the ITG and Twintake delivering a similar performance gain, though the ITG has the edge.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!