Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG maxogen - new enclosed filter information.  (Read 37771 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Re: ITG maxogen - new enclosed filter information.
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:10 am »
The only time my fuel economy went down was when I went 2+.

Well like I said. After R-Tech mapped it but with the stock air filter set up it was lovely and nice and economical.

So possibly its not adapting well to the ITG on its own and its just chucking loads of extra fuel in there?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

h4rdy

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43:00 am »
Shame they are on holiday aren't they?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:11 am »
Shame they are on holiday aren't they?

Yeah. I'm booked to go back on the 24th anyway so I might just refit the stock until then.

Did you manage to go listen to the enclosed intake?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
I personally cant see the ITG being at fault.  Maybe the map hasnt got enough adaptability in it to accommodate the extra flow of air.  My car with the bluefin map and ITG wasnt the best either.

I had the prototype vRS ITG intake fitted to mine but with a bigger filter at ITG HQ by Andy.  The car was running Bluefin stage 2 at the time.  The car didnt run right whilst the ECU was adjusting itself, it was really on/off in its power delivery like it was over/underfueling repeatedly.  It got better over about 50miles. 

This was later changed to Shark software which i had in stage 1, 2 and 2+ guises and there were no such issues with power delivery. 

Before i sold up i  reverted the car back to stage 1 shark performance map with ITG.  Randomly i was given a Pipercross venom intake by another forum member.  I logged the Stock v Pipercross v ITG one after another that day and found the Pipercross actually was more restrictive than the stock intake, whilst the ITG gained 18g/s iirc over the stock intake.

I think RTEC need to have a look at it tbh.  The filter flows enough air for guys running stage 2+ on K04 TFSIs, so its not likely that it would struggle on a stage 1 K03.

Sy

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »
I personally cant see the ITG being at fault.  Maybe the map hasnt got enough adaptability in it to accommodate the extra flow of air.  My car with the bluefin map and ITG wasnt the best either.

I had the prototype vRS ITG intake fitted to mine but with a bigger filter at ITG HQ by Andy.  The car was running Bluefin stage 2 at the time.  The car didnt run right whilst the ECU was adjusting itself, it was really on/off in its power delivery like it was over/underfueling repeatedly.  It got better over about 50miles.  

This was later changed to Shark software which i had in stage 1, 2 and 2+ guises and there were no such issues with power delivery.  

Before i sold up i  reverted the car back to stage 1 shark performance map with ITG.  Randomly i was given a Pipercross venom intake by another forum member.  I logged the Stock v Pipercross v ITG one after another that day and found the Pipercross actually was more restrictive than the stock intake, whilst the ITG gained 18g/s iirc over the stock intake.

I think RTEC need to have a look at it tbh.  The filter flows enough air for guys running stage 2+ on K04 TFSIs, so its not likely that it would struggle on a stage 1 K03.

Sy

oh yeah im not suggesting its the ITG or its struggling.

Im just saying that it isn't working well on my car as a plug and play item at the moment.

At the same time its not R-Techs fault. My car felt the best its ever felt after they mapped it with the stock air box.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:41 pm »
Do you know what your map is requesting from the fuel pump?

not sure. Which vagcom block would it be. Maybe i logged it the other day.. if not i could pop out and log it today

Log block 230 for actual vs requested fuel rail pressure.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2012, 12:01:17 am »
Do you know what your map is requesting from the fuel pump?

not sure. Which vagcom block would it be. Maybe i logged it the other day.. if not i could pop out and log it today

Log block 230 for actual vs requested fuel rail pressure.   :smiley:

I already logged actual rail pressure with the open filter. Do i need both requested and actual though?

http://u55158955@s300610021.websitehome.co.uk/UtilityImages/ITG%20open%20log.xls

Offline Marshall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »
When I had my last fr k03 I bought an itg kept it on about 3 weeks I found the noise fairly annoying but power was poor below 3000rpm it was like the car was bogging down between 1800rpm and 3000rpm and that was running Revo software although the car did pull harder higher up the rev range.
As already said it seemed to be a trade off for low down drivability for high revs power.
I went back to a panel filter and the car was much livelier under normal driving.

Sent from my iPhone
MISANO RED RS3

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »
I fitted an intake but it made the power move higher up. That is okay for track day cars but for a road car it is a pain as you lose the low end grunt.  I asked Nick from R Tech regarding the OE airbox and going to Stage 2+. This was his reply below

The ED30 makes good power with easy due to turbine volumetric efficiency and increased flow outward bounds.  The ED30s tune to 300bhp with easy with just the stock paper filters in place.   I cannot see the stock air box with a good air filter being too much of an issue for 275-280bhp on a k03.   If your going HFPF then a lot of the power gain comes from combustion efficiency and room to run more timing.

So I switched back to the OE box and the car runs much better than with an intake. Plus the intake was too noisy for my liking. I am now of the opinion that VW have invested millions into R&D and know there stuff when it comes to this and what works for the engine. I have tried different modified parts and have now gone totally OE parts again on the engine, apart from the exhaust, panel air filter and boost hoses. The cars drives much smoother and performs loads better :happy2:
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »
^^^^
VW have invested millions into R&D with the aim of producing a quiet car which satisfies an average generic customer, not mad enthusiasts like many of us here. I don't like it quiet! I want to hear what's going on under my bonnet and elsewhere.

All I can say is that my Revo Stage 2 K03 car with a Twintake makes more power and runs even better than it did with stock intake. Even running a Carbonio scoop improved torque and response although by a very small percentage.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »
Ive removed it. The MPG was shocking and the whistle was embarrassing.

The enclosed filter gets rid of all the darth vader noises of the open filter and as far as I can tell from logging the car it performs the same as the open intake.

However for me, right now the loss in MPG and the whistle is completely unacceptable.

I'll keep the bits and take them to R-Tech and still try to diagnose the whistle and see what Nick says about fitting it for added power but the last time I spoke to him he had found a new tweak for the KO3 that he was keen to try and if this proves effective on my car with the standard air box I'll be happy with that.

I bought the ITG (I guess the same would apply for the twintake etc) thinking it would instantly add 10-15bhp to my car. I hadn't really appreciated that these gains were only on stage2+ and KO4 cars though so for my KO3 stage 1 i'd have to say it seems a bit of a waste unfortunately.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »

I bought the ITG (I guess the same would apply for the twintake etc) thinking it would instantly add 10-15bhp to my car. I hadn't really appreciated that these gains were only on stage2+ and KO4 cars though so for my KO3 stage 1 i'd have to say it seems a bit of a waste unfortunately.

....Please understand that I totally understand and respect your preferences and decisions when I say that adding a Twintake to my Revo Stage 2 K03 GTI added 15.5 bhp according to back-to-back same day dyno @ JKM. My mods include a TBE Milltek. I was on stock fuel pump at the time (now APR).

It's all written up with plots in my first post:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

I'm still interested in R-Tech Nick's findings about the whistle.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:03 pm »

....Please understand that I totally understand and respect your preferences and decisions when I say that adding a Twintake to my Revo Stage 2 K03 GTI added 15.5 bhp according to back-to-back same day dyno @ JKM. My mods include a TBE Milltek. I was on stock fuel pump at the time (now APR).

It's all written up with plots in my first post:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

I'm still interested in R-Tech Nick's findings about the whistle.  :happy2:

Oh yeah... I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone saying I was given bad info. I'm just saying I hadn't fully appreciated that it would give far less of a gain on a stage 1 KO3 car.

I think I've also been unlucky with the ECU not adapting well and causing low MPG and the blasted whistle that makes you shy away from full throttle.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »
Whistle + poor mpg sounds like an air leak between the afm and turbo.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »
Whistle + poor mpg sounds like an air leak between the afm and turbo.

the whistle is one thats well documented with other itg and forge intakes.

I re installed the system 3 times in all and even put silicon around the maf making sure there were no air leaks anywhere.