Make a donation

Author Topic: K&N Typhoon Induction Kit 69-9503  (Read 8831 times)

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
K&N Typhoon Induction Kit 69-9503
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:40:10 pm »
K&N Typhoon Induction Kit 69-9503 Review

The K&N Typhoon is one of many Induction kits available on the market for the MK5 GTI.  Depending where you look prices seem to range from £200 - £250, I picked mine up as a used item on from a member on here.  Unfortunately it didn't come with all the fittings I was expecting but was easy enough to find the parts needed from K&N website together with good installation details.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product3.aspx?prod=69-9503tfk

Fitting was straight forward and everything went together well and lined up as expected took me about 1.5hrs.  The K&N kit mounts at two positions, one to the engine cover mount closest to the turbo inlet and another to the right side of the engine.  Also provided with the kit is a metal heatshield which fits onto the two rubber grommets in front of the battery tray and also to the standard air vent at the front of the grille.  Not sure how much heat it actually shields as its not got any foam etc like the ITG kits, but it's a cheaper kit than the ITG.  Moreover I think it's designed to funnel air from the standard air vent to the Filter.

After fitting the Kit and firing up the engine I didn't encounter any engine warning lights just the steering light and traction control which is normal if the battery has been disconnected.  Tickover was as standard same with noise levels.  Upon driving you immediately notice the increased intake noise upon acceleration, I haven't had any whistling noises with this kit on my car but it certainly isn't a subtle kit, its fairly loud.  When you take your foot off the accelerator you get almost a dump valve type of noise.

Regarding performance, my car is totally standard apart from this kit and what I have noticed is that the car has lost its low end urgency like it did with standard intake however it seems to have more punch in the midrange and top end.  Best description I can give is the car feels it has more turbo lag.  Now I'm planning on getting the car mapped after I get a turbo back exhaust so not sure if the map can regain some of that low end urgency that I liked about the standard car.

K&N claim on their dyno chart increase of 18.62bhp@4500rpm & 21.94lbft@4500rpm.  However looking at their dyno graph below it shows an increase in torque and power even at below 3000rpm, that's not what I am experiencing with the kit on my car.  The car deffo feels less urgent at below 3000rpm than in standard form.
[pdf]http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-9503_dyno.pdf[/pdf]

Overall it's a decent kit for the money I paid £115 all in, don't think I would pay £200+ for it but my opinion may change after being mapped but for a standard car I don't think I would bother if I did it again.  I miss the low end urgency of the standard intake so I'm debating reverting back to standard or just keeping it on and going for the stage 2 map after getting my exhaust as it may work well with those mods.

Few pics and a short video link, hope you found this review of some use.

2006 GTI - KWv1 - Poly Fronts - K&N Panel Filter - RTech Stage 1

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: K&N Typhoon Induction Kit 69-9503
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »
afaik you always lose some low end torque with an aftermarket intake...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:06:52 pm »
Hi bacillus, is that even after a remap?

and why is that?  if its more free flowing then why the loss of torque ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:49:16 am »

Regarding performance, my car is totally standard apart from this kit and what I have noticed is that the car has lost its low end urgency like it did with standard intake however it seems to have more punch in the midrange and top end.  Best description I can give is the car feels it has more turbo lag.  Now I'm planning on getting the car mapped after I get a turbo back exhaust so not sure if the map can regain some of that low end urgency that I liked about the standard car.

I miss the low end urgency of the standard intake so I'm debating reverting back to standard or just keeping it on and going for the stage 2 map after getting my exhaust as it may work well with those mods.

....Remap + TBE exhaust + Air Intake (aftermarket high-flow tubular) always work hand-in-hand to best exploit the remap and deliver the power.

With those three together on a good remap, you won't want to revert back to standard! It will transform the performance of your car and you may want to tweak the remapping of your driving skills  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »
afaik you always lose some low end torque with an aftermarket intake...

I always thought I did but nice to hear somebody else experiences this too.

I was running a OEM engine cover with Pipercross panel and it was always more lively at the bottom end.

Tailed off at the top though.

Anybody have any theories as to why :popcornsoda:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »
I think it might be to do with air pressure on the aftermarketintake being more free flowing and the air pressure being lower.  However that is just a guess based on air pressure being lower when free flowing rather than high when through a more restrictive tube etc. Similar to exhaust gas pressure being lower in a larger bore.
The loss of low end torque was the main reason why I switched back to the panel filter and engine cover. I wanted a fast road car and not  track day car, as I very rarely get chance to use the top end power. On a twisty road the low end comes in handy and the mid range punch was very similar and being fair, not a lot in it to make that much of a difference on the road with performance.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
I think it might be to do with air pressure on the aftermarketintake being more free flowing and the air pressure being lower.  However that is just a guess based on air pressure being lower when free flowing rather than high when through a more restrictive tube etc. Similar to exhaust gas pressure being lower in a larger bore.
The loss of low end torque was the main reason why I switched back to the panel filter and engine cover. I wanted a fast road car and not  track day car, as I very rarely get chance to use the top end power. On a twisty road the low end comes in handy and the mid range punch was very similar and being fair, not a lot in it to make that much of a difference on the road with performance.

Yeah that would make sense.  Ive had it on over a week now and the car deffo feels stronger at the top end but like you say unless going on track, you really dont get to use the top end much on the road.  Like Robin said above with exhaust and remap I think the overall package will be good however, I see in your signature that you are running stage 2+ using just a panel filter? I was under the impression that Stage2+ required an intake of some sort?  Im only looking to goto stage 2 so I think I am going to revert back to standard airbox with upratted panel filter as the K&N Typhoon is a bit too loud for me for everyday driving.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »
Kevfr has a K&N panel filter for sale in the for sale section.
I have had no issues using a panel filter at my stage and find the car is more refined and less harsh to drive than when i had my intake fitted.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »
Kevfr has a K&N panel filter for sale in the for sale section.
I have had no issues using a panel filter at my stage and find the car is more refined and less harsh to drive than when i had my intake fitted.

Yeah I bought it. Thanks.