Make a donation

Author Topic: Flush fit bonnet pins  (Read 33063 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Flush fit bonnet pins
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 05:30:55 pm »

They look great  :happy2: I'm liking the "Stepped" grille too.   :smiley:

....I didn't like the 'stepped' grill in pics but after seeing it in the flesh I now think it looks great and particularly suits the black & white colour scheme of Neil's car. It possibly also helps scoop more air being flat-on.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 11:08:45 pm »

Having now seen Neil's bonnet catches they are now on my list to get.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:28 pm »
im with the guys, very cool looking mod. but cutting into your CF bonnet yourself, braver than me. ill do it if it has bolts, if not its someone elses job.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:29 pm »

Cutting into carbon isn't anything like as difficult as you think. You just have to plan it carefully and take your time.

Having said that, I expect it'll be a case of VWR doing mine while I watch as usual.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:16 am »

My mate has them done on his car... hes carbon fibre wrapped them too  :love:

....Doesn't carbon wrapping them build up their thickness a heck of a lot? And also be very fiddly?

Any pics, Rich?

AeroCatch, which Neil has, also offer carbon-look versions - Not real carbon but I think quite acceptable : -

In my case I'd be having fake carbon catches on a painted real carbon bonnet!  :grin:

As Dolly Parton said: "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap!"

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:07:37 am by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:02 am »

Neil,

I've now ordered some carbon-look AeroCatches and am getting my head into where exactly to position them. So, some questions for you:

1) - Am I right in thinking that the position you chose was mostly dictated by you wanting to reduce their visual effect by colour coding them and hence not fitting them on the black carbon centre area?

2) - Did you consider any other positions, obviously taking any limitations of the slam panel into account?

3) - Do you think there are any parts of the OSIR carbon bonnet which should be avoided for fixing through?

Many Thanks,
Robin  :drinking:

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 11:53:32 am »

Neil,

I've now ordered some carbon-look AeroCatches and am getting my head into where exactly to position them. So, some questions for you:

1) - Am I right in thinking that the position you chose was mostly dictated by you wanting to reduce their visual effect by colour coding them and hence not fitting them on the black carbon centre area?

2) - Did you consider any other positions, obviously taking any limitations of the slam panel into account?

3) - Do you think there are any parts of the OSIR carbon bonnet which should be avoided for fixing through?

Many Thanks,
Robin  :drinking:

RR, Yes I did want to keep the Aerocatches in the white painted sides of the bonnet which did limit their position a bit, obviously the pins need to have a panel to be bolted on and their are some existing holes in the slam panel that may be useable, but if you do drill new holes be carefull that you dont hit the bonnet release cable running to the left under the slam pannel.

You'll also need to place them on a fairly flat area, I put mine on at a slight angle as this made them sit better, the info says the narrow end should be at the front (couldnt work out why though).

I did have to cut some extra carbon from the second skin on the underside of the bonnet to alow access to the nuts when fixing but its very easy to cut and grind/sand and wasn't a problem.  :happy2:

So Robin you've painted your nice carbon bonnet and your going to display some fake carbon, have you thought of painting them red?  I am currently hidding an impressive 6 pack under a fake beer belly.  :signLOL:

Are you going to have a go, whats the worst that could happen?  :smiley:

http://www.aerocatch.com/updoc/Installation_ebook.pdf

Good luck Neil.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Neil  :drinking:

Thanks for telling me about the bonnet release cable! However, I'll be going to VWR to fit them and I'm sure they know about the cable.

Having now directed quite a bit of work with carbonfibre I'm quite at ease with it but I simply don't have either the tools or roof cover and anyway I like visiting the guys at VWR.

I think it's quite funny me displaying fake carbon on painted real carbon and I can always paint them red later if I want.

The reason that AeroCatch say the narrow end should be at the front is that if the catch were to lift for some reason, it's not facing an air stream which might then force the catch to fully open. I know that some of the racing boys (and girls) remove the stock oem cable and latch mechanism and so rely solely on the AeroCatches.

Something else I've recently learned is that some carbon bonnets have the oem latch glue fixed and this can fail through time and use. Our OSIR bonnets have them more securely bolted < Another reason why neither of us needed this mod!

But they do provide added safety and look cool (just like a six-pack under a belly) :laugh:

I'll post pics and add to this thread when done  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:29:37 pm by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:23 pm »
Done mine:

My bonnet is now anchored rock solid. Being carbonfibre there was a certain amount of flex, though not a problem.

What Neil didn't say was the amount of carbonfibre dust all the cutting and dremmelling creates - It gets everywhere!

Saint Steve

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »
Done mine:

My bonnet is now anchored rock solid. Being carbonfibre there was a certain amount of flex, though not a problem.

What Neil didn't say was the amount of carbonfibre dust all the cutting and dremmelling creates - It gets everywhere!

:congrats:
Great job done there mate
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:01:25 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »
great job by Mat at VWR  :laugh: he was covered in dust  :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
Nice one RR, the black on red matches the fog vents well.  :happy2:

The VW Cup cars have them on the rear as well. I suppose they could save some weight without the rear locking mechanism.

I would have paid to see Mat covered in dust  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 11:20:45 am »
^^^^
Re catches on the tailgate, I think it's probably because of regulations - An on-track nudge might easily release an oem tailgate lock. On a track dedicated car you wouldn't need the security of a lock. I've kept my bonnet lock fitted to prevent anyone opening my bonnet uninvited from outside as mine is primarily a road car. I have now decided not to fit a removable half-cage - Too tricky to take in and out.

Saw your car at VWR: Looking extremely purposeful - Very solid cage.  :notworthy:

I wish I had taken pics of Matt covered in carbon dust now.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 02:36:19 pm »
Look lovely those, Robin  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:48 pm »

Look lovely those, Robin  :happy2:

....Cheers. Mike :happy2:

Although primarily functional (though I will admit to thinking they look quite cool), being black on red I felt their position and orientation needed some consideration. Mat @ VWR was very keen to fit the anchor posts in a metal part of the slam panel, so, like Neil's, we decided to fit on the 'wings' of the bonnet. I then decided to angle them so their centre axis joined the frontal meeting points (as pic):

My GTI in particular has a lot of '\  /' shapes in its styling and so the hard-wired designer part of my brain kicked in. It may have looked more subtle to colour code them red but I was too amused to forego the fake carbon catches on painted real carbon bonnet opportunity.

I noticed recently that one of the new cars (high performance Renault?) has plain black AeroCatches on an unpainted carbon bonnet ex factory.

There's something strangely satisfying about click-clacking them to open and close the bonnet. They should be opened before the oem central catch is released so there are no stresses. It means going back to the car cabin but so what. You certainly know that your bonnet has been securely anchored. They are also available with key locks but I thought this would get too tedious.