Make a donation

Author Topic: Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - no. 1387 - Revo Stage 1  (Read 37738 times)

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - no. 1387 - new brakes...
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2015, 05:30:33 pm »
Looks awesome  :happy2:

Well done!

Thank-you! It’s still nowhere as clean as your ED30 – I really want my wheels refurbished at some point as the faces were refreshed when I bought the car, but the inners are quite scabby…

Nice work. How much were the silver door trims? mine are also damaged.  :sad1:

Cheers Dazza. They are ridiculous money! I got a new old stock passenger side one for £20 (which is what they should be), but the drivers side was £58.18 incl. VAT from VW. I must be mad, but I wanted it to be right…

Looks stunning  :happy2:

Thanks – I appreciate it!

Awesome Dave, she really is looking lovely. Brakes looks the dingles too!  :notworthy:

Thanks Martin – appreciate the comments! Even though the car had ARB’s and springs before, the dampers and brakes have now tightened the car properly. I now feel that I am happy to start some power increases in the future…! 

Truly awesome Dave!

Think its a great looking car, them brakes look great!

Top Work!

Thank-you Alex! The brakes are good compared to the standard set-up – I hope the powdercoat finish lasts well as the standard OEM finish was just dull…

lovely and fresh - so clean  :happy2:

Thanks Olly – that means a lot from a true dub veteran! IMHO the ED30 needs very little visually, but just a few extra tweeks underneath to make it extremely capable.  How’s the Touran build going?

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »
Great work, just coming close to fitting my R32 setup after 'refurbish' so thanks for the heads up on the rear lines!

Done a bit of googling and found a vortex page showing the clips purpose, needed as so to space them out a bit further compared to the standard retainer. Also have ordered some from VW at 50p a piece. Does seem strange hel don't inform / include in the kits for such a small cost.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 05:36:47 pm »
Great work, just coming close to fitting my R32 setup after 'refurbish' so thanks for the heads up on the rear lines!

Done a bit of googling and found a vortex page showing the clips purpose, needed as so to space them out a bit further compared to the standard retainer. Also have ordered some from VW at 50p a piece. Does seem strange hel don't inform / include in the kits for such a small cost.

What clips are you referring to? Can you show what VW Vortex topic explained it?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2015, 05:56:42 pm »
link to vortex, Algthough it doesn't make any reference to the clips but shows there purpose..

Clips from VW are part number: 4D06111715B

The clips in the above photo as after the hardline. If you google the clip your soon spot them in the photo

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »
link to vortex, Algthough it doesn't make any reference to the clips but shows there purpose..

Clips from VW are part number: 4D06111715B

The clips in the above photo as after the hardline. If you google the clip your soon spot them in the photo
Thanks. :happy2: My mechanic fitted the rear R32 brakes on my Ed. 30 without the clips. He never said anything about having trouble doing it or the need for getting something to extend the hardline. I have pictures of them fitted on my project. :smiley:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »
Thanks v4ley - glad the info is of use to someone so soon  :smiley:. As said, shame that Hel don't make mention of these clips when ordering.

Hi Shoduchi - your car is looking great after all the work! Good to hear the lines fit without the clips, but I was told that my car would fail the UK MOT test if it didn't have them fitted. (MOT is our yearly road worthiness check).

Cheers, Dave

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 09:42:18 pm »
Nice car and brake job!

Thanks for the heads up on the Hel brackets as mine came without. I just assumed the original vw ones fitted??

Thanks for your link I have just purchased some, good job I didn't start that job today then.
For £40 you'd expect some brackets!

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - no. 1387 - Revo Stage 1
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2016, 10:51:45 pm »
Wow, nearly a year since I updated. I have been doing stuff - some not so interesting (new charcoal canister and hoses to try and sort the P0441 code).

This year was a devastating year for me with the loss of a close friend in Feb - even worse we shared a car passion. So, it has taken me time to get to where I am now - no Goodwood this year (the family and I are leaving it a year), but went to Vagtuner, which meant I stayed in John's house the night before with his partner which was quite healing in a weird way...

So onto happier things this week...on a weeks holiday I wanted to sort the car a bit. New Continental Contisport Contact 5's for the front this week. Car was driving horribly as the fronts were on the wear bars - never known a car to be so sensitive on it's tyres and tracking other than an MX-5! Sooo much better now!

Highlight of the week, and maybe the year - was a trip to JKM for Revo Stage 1 today. I know everyone says R-tech, but I'm not sure what l want in time to come, so it was a shorter drive and that's it...

Had a Loba pump fitted (I've had for a while), and a VWR intake for subtle turbo noises. Traffic was terrible on the way home and it was wet, so car only got a couple of tickles in the rush hour traffic. Left Portsmouth at 3:45pm - got to Maidenhead at 6:15pm - A3/M3 junction was terrible!

Will enjoy a drive tomorrow, and then it needs a good clean on Sunday...!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline eddie pk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2016, 12:00:54 am »
just to echo others comments ..thats a very good looking car , nice one.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2016, 09:16:01 pm »
Well - as promised - a few pics of my update to replacing the charcoal canister. Has only been partly successful as the P0441 code has now gone to 'intermittent', so need to try the other pipes and valves, or junk the lot...!

My engine bay as started out;

Replacing the charcoal canister with some new shizzle;

Old crapness...;

Mmm, brand new, or not...!

Engine after new caps and a bit of a scrub...;

Bucket after cleaning...!!

It's not normally that bad...honest...!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline ED30Matt91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:01 pm »
Looks immaculate mate one of my favourites on here

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2016, 10:14:09 pm »
Hope you can sort your issue! Engine bay is looking fresh :)

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2016, 06:20:15 pm »
A boring update, but one I felt was needed for the car. After bonelorry's refresh on his ED30, I thought mine would also benefit from a new battery - was pretty sure my car is still on the original one, so think the car deserved a treat with a new one...

I went for the Varta in Bonelorry's thread - seemed a good improvement on standard, and a good price on line through Tanya batteries. It is the 096 Varta Silver E44, 780 CCA, 77AH. I know the actual swap out time is about 10 minutes, but took me way longer when I started cleaning stuff..!

Still, took the car out for a drive after and had some real fun on some local B roads. Absolutely love the thing!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Dan_ED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 12:21:24 pm »
Great read!

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
Lovely car for sure!

Love those Carbon battery and Fuse Box covers
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual