Make a donation

Author Topic: THS Intercooler for 2.0TFSI Cars  (Read 36658 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
THS Intercooler for 2.0TFSI Cars
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:44:14 pm »
Why: -

Well the intercooler is a key part of the forced induction system on a turbocharged engine.  The way I understand it is an intercooler will decrease the air intake temperatures to provide a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine. As it keeps intake temperatures down it will also help prevent heat soak degrading engine performance when pushing on.

So like anything on the car once you step on the slippery slope of modifying the stock components will soon become stretched beyond their normal duty cycle.

Since going to Revo Stage 2 I had started to see some high intake temperatures (over 30c above ambient for example on a Rolling Road session).

So I thought it was time to invest in a new IC. Initially I was planning to go the S3 route but after seeing a test version of the THS intercooler on Revo's Leon K1 and from speaking with Carl and Martin @ Revo I thought it made more sense to try the THS intercooler.

Here are some side by side pictures of the new THS cooler and the old stock IC  :smiley:

Here's the blurb on the IC from THS: -

And a comparision on size with the stock and S3 IC's   :happy2:

Sourcing: -

The intercooler is supplied directly by THS Performance: -

Website - www.thsperformance.co.uk

Email - sales@thsperformance.co.uk

Installation: -

Installation isn't a task for the faint hearted  :scared:

As you can see all of the front end parts need to be removed to gain access to the stock IC.

I had mine installed by Neil and Ollie from THS as they are finishing the write-up for the installation manual so offered to do it as part of the purchase price  :happy2:

Generally the installation was pretty painless (apart from when Ollie stabbed Neil with a a screwdriver in his arm where he had burnt it earlier that week  :rolleye:).

In total it took just over 3 hours which considering we where taking photo's of every step wasn't too bad.

Here are some more installation photo's

Once the physical installation was complete we took the car out for some post installation logging with VCDS connected.

Immediately the intake temps were well down on the old stock IC and showed better recovery of temperature after a few spirited runs  :evilgrin:

I will be completing some more logging over the next few days so will post some more detailed results as soon as I can  :happy2:

Plus Points: -

• Direct Replacement for the Stock IC
  • All Alloy construction designed with the best possible air flow in mind
  • Improved performance and reduced intake temperatures

Minus Points: -

Really none that I can think of really  :happy2:

Summary: -

After having run the car for a few days/nearly 1000 miles on the IC (during the hottest days of the year so far!) I can really say I have been massively impressed with the difference this is making to the car.

It is really noticeable in the mid to top end power the car really pulls so much more now and despite my best efforts I am not feeling the effects of heat soak as much as I did before.  :smiley:

Everything else about the car has remained as before (so no affect in fuel consumption etc).

Also I was really impressed with the way the kit was put together, previous from other manufactures I have seen simple things to make the installation easier aren't included, but the THS kit will be supplied with everything you need (for example even down to a cable tie in-case you have to cut the existing one on the bonnet release cable) and some bit like longer bolts to help temporarily support the front crash panel while removing the old IC.

So I would 100% say I would recommend this IC to any 2.0 TFSI owner as you will be really surprised at the difference it will make.  :happy2:

Finally thanks to Neil & Ollie from THS for doing the installation on a Sunday morning while they where local to me (and to Neil's dad for the loan of the workshop)  :drinking:

UPDATE

Data Logging Results: -

I have finally got around to doing some data logging with the IC installed. I tried I couple of scenarios to get an idea of how it performs in normal driving conditions.

So at the time of these tests my car is running: -

Revo Stage 2+ Code (B9 T6 F9)
KMD HPFP Kit
Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust
Test version of the VWR Direct Intake System that fits onto Standard Airbox

Test 1 - Fast Road Hard Acceleration

Outside Temp 17°c

So over a 15 minute period starting with the engine up to temp I logged the car over a few 1-2 mile stretches of Dual carriageway broken up by roundabouts where I tried hard acceleration (upto the national speed limit only).

The starting intake temp (as the car was idling for 5 minutes while setting up the laptop) was 38°c.

Immediately under the initial acceleration the temp dropped by 5°c to to 33°c.

At peak the maximum temp I recorded after about the 4th run of accelerating away from a roundabout at maximum revs in 3rd was 39°c. This would immediately drop as soon as you ease off when coming up to the next roundabout.

The average temp recorded over this test was 31.5°c which is above 14.5°c ambient.

Test 2 - Recovery from Heat Soak

Outside Temp 20.5°c

For this test I spent around 45 minutes in slow heavy traffic coming out of London followed by 10 minutes queuing at the petrol station for so much need V Power.

Once I started I logging the start after filling up the intake temp was showing as 58°c.

After the first 30 seconds of driving the intake temp dropped by 10°c and after a further 4 mins of driving at varying speeds between 40-70mph the intake temps had recovered back to 31-32°c or just over 10°c above ambient.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:27:17 pm by SteveP »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: THS Intercooler for 2.0TFSI Cars
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:44:45 pm »

Very convincing. It would be interesting to learn how the THS compares with the performance of both the S3 and APR I/Cs.

I particularly like the attention to detail by the inclusion of helpful installation extra parts within the package.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:01:18 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 4
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:10:22 pm »
Great write up thank you!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »
A group buy is now available on this IC - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5888.0  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:01:33 pm »

This info wasn't loading on my system yesterday but is today, so I've copied it here....

Which just leaves the question of size/volume comparison with APR's offering.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »

This info wasn't loading on my system yesterday but is today, so I've copied it here....

The sizes i have been given were 590mm x 410mm x 57 mm  with 57mm outlet

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:16:27 pm »

The sizes i have been given were 590mm x 410mm x 57 mm  with 57mm outlet

By who Yin?

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »
Wonder why audi made the outlet thinner than the gti intercooler on the s3 intercooler? :confused:
Maybe they saw a pressure drop when slightly increasing the core size?

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »
For comparison the APR cooler is 16.25" tall, 2.25" thick, and 23.2" wide according to their website (or 412.75mm tall x 57.15mm thick x 589.28mm wide)  :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 07:34:26 pm »
Wonder why audi made the outlet thinner than the gti intercooler on the s3 intercooler? :confused:
Maybe they saw a pressure drop when slightly increasing the core size?

I was confused by this until I saw the GTI one out of the car, the initial outlet is massive, but the part directly behind it into the core is much much smaller than the S3 and THS ones  :happy2:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »
Thanks for the info steve :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »

The sizes i have been given were 590mm x 410mm x 57 mm  with 57mm outlet

By who Yin?

By APR    has anybody got the sizes of the Twintercooler?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:11:22 pm by yin »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 05:43:09 pm »
well those figures of 590mm x 410mm x 57 mm  with 57mm outlet, give the APR intercooler a cubic capacity of 13.79litres.

anybody have the twintercooler figures, as them added to the oem intercooler will give us the comparisons between the vast majority of the usual choices. i for one am considering the twintercooler and would love to know the results

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 06:27:04 pm »
well thats about 13.6 litres when combined with the OEM IC not inclusive of the additional piping involved.

are there downsides to having such large capacity intercoolers, such as extra lag maybe.

its ok having really cool intake temperatures but if your spool up suffers with lag, it could make sense to stick to the S3 intercooler.