Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 - what first ?  (Read 10648 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Edition 30 - what first ?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »

If a company isn't able to support a method of communication then it's very very simple, don't publicise it on your website in BIG BOLD characters.

Unfortunately, that also applies to VWR. I've read the review of their red Golf in car magazine, where it was suggested that VWR could help out with tuning GTIs. I've read enthusiastic posts by members of this and sister forum (especially RedRobin's very enthusiastic posts), I went to their webpage where they say 
"We'd love to hear from you.
We'll endeavour to reply to every email sent as quickly as possible, but please leave us a few working days to respond"

which is not true, as some forum members learned. They've never replied to my emails, though I was prepared so spend my hard earned on their expensive products.

I do not blame them, racing is most important to them, but their advertising is utterly misleading. That is NOT how you do business.

....Perhaps you haven't read the post on this site by their MD Sam Roach in which he explains the transition they are going through and their awareness of their current shortcomings. I was with them again last week and can tell you first hand that they are very aware indeed of their current shortcomings outside racing. Solutions don't happen overnight.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether they successfully pursue this more public side of their business or allow their racing priorities to continue to compromise it. Personally, myself and a few others have no problems with the way they work now but I do understand those who do. It comes down to an individual's expectations again.

One thing is always true and that is that you can never satisfy everybody all of the time. :grin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:37 pm »
bringing it back on topic.......

SO8 , Id look at it from the view of what you want to do with the car , drag strip / track days or just commuting??
Any issues you feel are substandard you would wish to improve on?

Do you want

1. more power , TBE etc
2. better handling e.g. springs / coilovers / ARB's / WALK / bushes
3. better brakes
4. more driver feedback e.g. engine mounts / exhaust
5. more in car toys. e.g. boost gauge
6. Visual fun e.g. wheels /tyres / carbon
7. DSG remap

how big is your wallet?  :grin:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »
who's in the 1%?  :chicken:

Not me I hope  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  :signIWS:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 10:26:20 pm »
I was just wondering if you could 'borrow' parts from cars at work S08?  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 11:14:20 pm »
I was gonna comment on the TC/RR/SP thing but I think it is better to bite my tongue.

I would have thought sorting out intake and exhaust would be a priority before going on to things like intercoolers, though IIRC T_T has an intercooler fitted to his MKV, with no other mods intially though he went for a revo remap thereafter. Wonder how it handles now.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 4
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:12 am »
I'm not going to go on a witch hunt on here, but I have to agree with what seems to be constantly said about 2 companies in particular.

I have been trying to spend a not unsubstantial amount of money with both companies over the past couple of months and they just don't respond to emails or even phone calls very well, I even asked one directly on here if he wouldn't mind ringing me back as he had promised to do so, with no luck!

I'm now at the stage where I've changed my plans and I am looking at Revo, APR and Oettinger equipment as a result.

I used to own a tuning company back in the day and I made a name (moreso in the Subaru and Jap market) with my communication and customer service, so this kind of thing really matters to me and if I have to run around after a company, I walk...

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 03:52:16 pm »

Bread & butter, Salt & Pepper, Cheese & Onion, Bread & Jam, Bra & Knickers, RRobin & Milltek,

anyone else think of anything that goes together?????? :laugh:

On a serious note I despite my previous unfavorable views of Milltek tried to contact them re any developments they may have for the Abarth 500, they have as yet to reply......... :angry015:

The world we live in and life in general.....

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »

Staying on topic, having recently removed my Evoms and sold it on, may I suggest an Evoms intake, my car is really lacking something since it been gone, I really notice its abscence and only now fully appreciate the gains as well as acoustics it gave. :sad1:

However getting the new car on the 21st july :driver: :rolleye: :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »

Bread & butter, Salt & Pepper, Cheese & Onion, Bread & Jam, Bra & Knickers, RRobin & Milltek,

anyone else think of anything that goes together?????? :laugh:

On a serious note I despite my previous unfavorable views of Milltek tried to contact them re any developments they may have for the Abarth 500, they have as yet to reply......... :angry015:

....Unless you want to stir it all up again, I think enough has been said by all, don't you? :smiley:

I reckon that Performance Exhausts & Air Intakes go together. You seem to be saying the same in your Reply #37.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 04:10:19 pm »

[/quote]

....Unless you want to stir it all up again, I think enough has been said by all, don't you? :smiley:

I reckon that Performance Exhausts & Air Intakes go together. You seem to be saying the same in your Reply #37.
[/quote]

Wasn't really stirring, just highlighting how ive been let down 3 times by Milltek who feature heavily in this thread, other peoples bad experiences struck a chord with me.

The Salt & Pepper thing came to me as an after thought and was meant in good humour. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 04:20:10 pm »

Wasn't really stirring, just highlighting how ive been let down 3 times by Milltek who feature heavily in this thread, other peoples bad experiences struck a chord with me.

The Salt & Pepper thing came to me as an after thought and was meant in good humour. :happy2:

....Okay, sorry, no problem, mate :happy2:

Let's just put it down to me still feeling just a wee bit sensitive and angry over some of the recent stuff that was claimed by a few who should know better in another thread (now locked). I'll get over it [/end of] < All is well which ends well :grouphug:

8)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:02:21 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
It would be a mistake to get the Milltek without even hearing the APR!

Coz thats in another league!  :laugh:

Think of it like this:

The Milltek exhaust in comparison to the APR exhaust, sound wise, is Leeds Utd. Languishing in the lower leagues.

The APR is like Manchester Utd, Champs League!

We both know that if they played each other, Man Utd would do an absolute JOB on Leeds!

LOL a worthwhile analogy i feel!

Candy

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 01:05:39 pm »
ER...... I THINK........... i,m the 1%
:love: :ashamed: :embarrassed: :rolleye: :jumping:

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 01:09:31 pm »

Dunno if I already posted it here or elsewhere but it's all down to individual taste - The bottom line is that sounds are energy vibrations which resonate positively or negatively with each of us. Furthermore, each of us has slightly different abilities to hear sound in its entire range.

I actually like all the sounds of APR, Blueflame, and Milltek (I haven't heard any others yet) - Personal taste and horses for courses. If I didn't have such a close and ongoing relationship with Milltek, then of course I'd be seriously considering the others.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 10:04:59 pm »
Back on topic....I recently joined this forum with my Ed 30 and the first upgrade was a re map. I did a trackday recently on sticky rubber and upgraded pads....worked well considering stock suspension.
Next on the list is suspension This week I will be slipping down the slope by spending yet more dosh....KW Clubsports, APR FP map. Dependant on the dyno results I an considering the possiblity of an exhaust although I'd rather use the money for a big brake kit TBH. The Euro has ruined prices.

Back to my choice I wanted cruise control so opted for APR for this very reason and the ease of changing maps by touching a button. I like their OE engineering approach. I could of and would have chosen Revo or Superchips as I know they have a high reputation...all good products with good reputations.

I have spent a huge amount with APR in the past and know their products and engineering behind the product. It is expensive I agree but tuning cars properly with good reputable company is never cheap.

I lost a shed load when I sold my APR Stage 3 car....I expected to though. This time around I will keep all of my stock parts and sell the car as stock as possible to recoup some of the costs.

Funnily I had a hybrid exhaust....APR DP and CAT then Milltek rear system. Prior to that I had a full Milltek. The exhaust was fine but later people went for other systems such as Blue Flame. BTW Oettinger was bought out a few years ago by APR.

I use TSR locally to me....Tom who now runs the company is very experienced and I will use them to fit my Quaiffe at some stage so I tend to use people I trust. TSR of old built my old race car's as did AmD when Mike and Geoff were operating in Oddington and prior to that Brian Ricketts so I've been around for many years. People will tend to defend companies they get good service from and post their experiences but when things don't go right you hope the company you purchase from will sort the matter out quickly and efficiently otherwise with the internet it can be very damaging.

One question.....Do Milltek flow test their systems on each model for maximum efficiency? Do they have the facilities for this?  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:13:53 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.