Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 88174 times)

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
Went for the Forge set up yesterday, I had a Carbonio before which looks nice but its unlikely that it performs much better than the OEM.
I've had Forge stuff before (Twintercooler etc) and it always looks well engineered and good quality, I also saw that JonnyC had tested 2 previous versions for Forge before they settled on the Twintake.
Its all black now which looks a lot better and I thought it would be the quieter of the intakes, you'll notice I use the word 'thought'.
F**king hell the first time I nailed it I thought I'd kicked Satan in the nuts! As well as the noise it defiantly pulls better from mid range and seems to rev a lot more freely, I dont know if a normal bonnet has some insulation in it but I think a carbon one may let some more noise through.  :laugh:

Also going to try and sort out a carbon engine cover, looks a bit untidy without one.

It'll be interesting to see if it improves lap times and what its putting out now, I'll be at the RR day in Surrey on the 28th.  :happy2:

May try to get some video sorted.

Neil  :smiley:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:34 pm »

Says on Forge web site not available yet for leon Cupra :sad:

There working hard on the fitments, if you like I can see what I can do for you.. You could be 'the chosen one' if you know what I mean..

PM'd

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »
Neil, give Justin a prod from me and ask him to return my e-mail!  :wink:

Greenouse did Justin get back to you?

Also if your at The TT Shop get Dave to show you his White Ducati 1198  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »

Lookin good mate!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2009, 06:02:41 pm »
see i dont get that, its taken this long for the intake folk to work out the available filter area was a limitation?
3 bhp for 1 inlet , or 13 bhp for both is a huge difference!
wonder if that is specific to the type of filters used for the twintake , or applies to others as well???

great info RR  :happy2:
:signLOL:

Is it just me that can pick holes in this?

Only a extra 3hp for 1 inlet, but then add a second and you magically get another 10 hp. If anything it should be the other way around.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »
looking at those pics of the intake finsihed in black, and i actually think the ITG looks better.

it looked the mutts nuts in chrome, really dont think it suits matt black piping, with shiny carbon filter housings, that small bit of silicone in the middle of the pipe looks out of place.

I think the prototypes looked better than this finished product

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
Went for the Forge set up yesterday, I had a Carbonio before which looks nice but its unlikely that it performs much better than the OEM.
I've had Forge stuff before (Twintercooler etc) and it always looks well engineered and good quality, I also saw that JonnyC had tested 2 previous versions for Forge before they settled on the Twintake.
Its all black now which looks a lot better and I thought it would be the quieter of the intakes, you'll notice I use the word 'thought'.
F**king hell the first time I nailed it I thought I'd kicked Satan in the nuts! As well as the noise it defiantly pulls better from mid range and seems to rev a lot more freely, I dont know if a normal bonnet has some insulation in it but I think a carbon one may let some more noise through.  :laugh:

Also going to try and sort out a carbon engine cover, looks a bit untidy without one.

It'll be interesting to see if it improves lap times and what its putting out now, I'll be at the RR day in Surrey on the 28th.  :happy2:

May try to get some video sorted.

Yes please  :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2009, 06:11:12 pm »
looking at those pics of the intake finsihed in black, and i actually think the ITG looks better.

it looked the mutts nuts in chrome, really dont think it suits matt black piping, with shiny carbon filter housings, that small bit of silicone in the middle of the pipe looks out of place.

[/quote

Agreed, it did look better before than it does now. The ITG also looks alot more purposeful. The big bhp jap guys all run similiar items as the ITG, so IMO it has more credibility also from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Also on SCN it has been noted that some people have had issues with intakes that dont retain the same as oem MAF housing size, and others havent.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2009, 06:25:30 pm »
you would have thought that most of them would have bothered to get piping manufactured which matched the OEM 67mm size!

Indeed

The point is that it works though, there are zero issues and it makes good power.. So whats the problem??  :confused:

Its a similar situation to people complaining of the RS4 injectors, the point is, 90% of highest HP 2.0T FSI cars run on them faultlessly, so again, where is the issue?

Sorry if that comes over as a rant, its not, just confused thats all.. I don't see the point in discussing it over and over..

....I hear what you're saying, Jonny. And no, it doesn't come over as a rant but just a very valid view.

Personally I very much favour the Twintake but I also want to be very sure and am keen to find out as much as I can. I've been an early adopter of mods quite a few times and it hasn't always worked out for the best longer term.

Probably the people I take the most notice of advice from regarding anything involving my ECU, is my Revo tuner JKM. They have loads of logged data etc on my individual car and they haven't been able to test the Twintake yet. It says a lot for their impartiality that they haven't tried to sell me one when they so easily could.

As you already know, I'm very encouraged by your strong recommendation.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

It'll be interesting to see if it improves lap times and what its putting out now, I'll be at the RR day in Surrey on the 28th.

....Nice one, Neil!

Like you, I've got the Carbonio too....... And the carbon bonnet....... Bring on the noise!!

Re the engine cover, the EVOMS cover will apparently fit with the Twintake. It's black sheet metal and will take a carbon or oem centre strip. Do you want me to find and post pics for you or are you familiar?

Looking forward to seeing you on the 28th  :happy2:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:59:46 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »
....I hear what you're saying, Jonny. And no, it doesn't come over as a rant but just a very valid view.

Personally I very much favour the Twintake but I also want to be very sure and am keen to find out as much as I can. I've been an early adopter of mods quite a few times and it hasn't always worked out for the best longer term.

Probably the people I take the most notice of advice from regarding anything involving my ECU, is my Revo tuner JKM. They have loads of logged data etc on my individual car and they haven't been able to test the Twintake yet. It says a lot for their impartiality that they haven't tried to sell me one when they so easily could.

I was on the phone to Keith at JKM the other day actually, he seems like a really good genuine guy.. Thats the type of people that I like to deal with so im not surprised at all that your doing the same..

Ill see what I can do about getting some logs from my Golf with the Twintake fitted, obviously its not a K03 car but it should give some insight for you.. Ill discuss it with Keith and send them over to him to look over, hopefully that will help you out with your decision some..

Jonny
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2009, 06:43:04 pm »

I was on the phone to Keith at JKM the other day actually, he seems like a really good genuine guy.. Thats the type of people that I like to deal with so im not surprised at all that your doing the same..

Ill see what I can do about getting some logs from my Golf with the Twintake fitted, obviously its not a K03 car but it should give some insight for you.. Ill discuss it with Keith and send them over to him to look over, hopefully that will help you out with your decision some..

Jonny
Echo Jonny and Robin's sentiments about Keith at JKM, he is definitely one of the good guys. I have had nothing but impeccable service from JKM and great conversation son the phone with Keith who is always very supportive and knowledgable.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2009, 06:43:38 pm »

Agreed, it did look better before than it does now. The ITG also looks alot more purposeful. The big bhp jap guys all run similiar items as the ITG, so IMO it has more credibility also from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Also on SCN it has been noted that some people have had issues with intakes that dont retain the same as oem MAF housing size, and others havent.

....What you call "credibility" and "aesthetics" are not the same. This NASCAR beast which was at Spa has 'credibility' and totally wiped out everything else, but it's monstrously fugly in my opinion : -

We can debate what we each think looks good until the cows come home (I like the ITG pipework but really detest the foamwork). So best to accept and respect our different tastes.

The big question about non-OEM MAF sizes has to be judged in the context of each intake imo.

:happy2:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:55:23 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »
@jonnyc

could you maybe do the same logs that stevep did with his ITG intake. then we wil have logs for both intakes on stage 2+ ko4.

id be very interested to see the difference. And the ratio of diference between them would be very similiar for the k03

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2009, 06:52:48 pm »

Jonny

....I've been talking to Keith today - He's off on honeymoon overseas long distance on Thursday and won't be back until mid December.

I'm sure he will welcome any logs/info you can send him - He's known as a bit of an expert on the 2.0T FSI platform and as you have recognised, is very genuine indeed. Incidentally I'm glad to hear you have contact with Keith. He's another great mind to have on your 'team'.

I'm 90% decided but want to hear what Keith recommends for my car. Plus the cashflow ain't pretty this week.

:drinking: