Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyres, Cheap vs Expensive  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Tyres, Cheap vs Expensive
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 03:39:06 pm »
452s dont grip well to be honest.

Never had a problem with them. Had them on two previous BM's and never came close to losing it and that's with rear wheel drive 3 litres!
Steel Grey GTI, 19" BBS RD383 wheels, R32 rear bumper, BCS R32 style cat back

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:44 pm »
I've got Falken 452's on mine and they're great.  Got a very good reputation on the BMW forums.  About £100 a corner as well  :happy2:

they are AWFUL in VAG fitment 225/40R18. i had them on my car for about a year and thought they were great. then i switched to proper tyres (Conti SportContact 3s) and the difference is like night and day. The Contis grip as well in the wet as the 452s do in the dry. avoid like the plague! (they are very hard wearing though - they still had nearly 7mm of tread after about 20k miles of motoring when i sold them on.)

Never had conti's but I doubt very much they grip as well in the wet as 452's in the dry

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: Tyres, Cheap vs Expensive
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »
I've just fitted falken ZE914 ecorun in 225 / 45 / 17 and I've run all sorts conti sports uniroyle rain sport ..goodyear efficient grip etc ..and I have to say I'm impressed with these ...feel good ..low noise ..grip good in wet or dry ..a good all round mid range tyre

sent using my own fingers

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »
I've got Falken 452's on mine and they're great.  Got a very good reputation on the BMW forums.  About £100 a corner as well  :happy2:

they are AWFUL in VAG fitment 225/40R18. i had them on my car for about a year and thought they were great. then i switched to proper tyres (Conti SportContact 3s) and the difference is like night and day. The Contis grip as well in the wet as the 452s do in the dry. avoid like the plague! (they are very hard wearing though - they still had nearly 7mm of tread after about 20k miles of motoring when i sold them on.)

Never had conti's but I doubt very much they grip as well in the wet as 452's in the dry

By all means try it. I have been driving for nearly 10 years but only ever owned 3 cars and on my current car this is only the 3rd set of tyres, so I would not call myself an especially experienced driver and even I can notice a MASSIVE difference in the grip qualities in tyres. That alone should tell you something.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »
Try Maxxis MAZ1, very good tyres, and can be had for around £68 on Ebay with free delivery  :happy2:  (Yes I have used them on 200bhp+ cars  :smiley: )
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »

By all means try it. I have been driving for nearly 10 years but only ever owned 3 cars and on my current car this is only the 3rd set of tyres, so I would not call myself an especially experienced driver and even I can notice a MASSIVE difference in the grip qualities in tyres. That alone should tell you something.

Ill definitely give them a try when mine need changing.  I'm running 19's so might be slightly different handling to yours tho.