Make a donation

Author Topic: woahnowboys' measly 1.6 FSI on S Class wheels.  (Read 24904 times)

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: woahnowboys' measly 1.6 FSI on a budget.
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2014, 04:04:45 pm »
Great thread! Really loving what you've done. The front end looks so mean!!  :happy2:
Cheers! Gotta get some Depo 'xenons' and a Votex splitter next :party:

Those wheels!!!!!!!!!! :congrats:
Thank y'all :happy2:

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: woahnowboys' measly 1.6 FSI on a budget.
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
Finally got it sitting a bit more how I want it.. All it took was new hubs, disks, calipers, pads, drop links, balljoints, track rod ends, top mounts, coilovers all round, and a wheel bearing. :laugh:

Not happy with the front, but it needs the arches rolling before going lower.
Painted all the calipers silver while it was apart too, looks much more fresh now. :drinking:
After Christmas, I'll roll the arches and try and pull them a little, as they're scraping a bit.
The paint missing on the front arches is due to the common rust problem, can't really be bothered to deal with VW, but I will get them painted at some point.
It's a bit dirty atm, but more pics! :smiley:

Also got some gloss black 3M vinyl wrap and wrapped the B pillar trims, as the original matte finish was a bit worse for wear.
Before:

After:

Looks much cleaner IMO, the matte trims didn't blend in with the glass as much.

Also finally changed the hanging old eBay beesting I had on there. :signLOL:
The sharkfin was around £40 from VW. :party:
Before:

After:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:18:23 pm by woahnowboys »

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: woahnowboys' measly 1.6 FSI on S Class wheels.
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »
With regards to your front wings, might be worth dealing with VW and just getting parts, then mod them before painting to avoid cracks and stuff.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:54 pm »
Wasn't a fan of the wheels before but now you have it sitting properly they are really starting to grow on me.

Any chance you have a part number on the shark fin?

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2014, 09:37:58 pm »
With regards to your front wings, might be worth dealing with VW and just getting parts, then mod them before painting to avoid cracks and stuff.

That's definitely the sensible option, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do yet, I know VW will try to make it awkward because the car's so low and the wheel is very close to fouling the arch.
Also, I've bought a compressor and I'm gonna give painting the MK1 a go. If it works out well, I'll do the MK5 myself too. I much prefer to do as much as I can myself. :happy2:
Make no mistake though, if I can't get the finish perfect, then it'll go to a paint shop. :signLOL:

Wasn't a fan of the wheels before but now you have it sitting properly they are really starting to grow on me.

Any chance you have a part number on the shark fin?
Cheers! Same for me really, thought they looked way too big before, but I'm really liking them now, especially the way they fit on the rear. :smiley:
The sharkfin was 1K0 035 507 J. This is apparently the correct part for FM/AM cars, but the plug was wrong for my car, so I cut off one of the restrictive tabs with a stanley blade, and plugged it in, works perfectly. :happy2:
If your car had a satnav/telephone as standard, the part you need is apparently 1K0 035 507 K.

MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline Jeffchiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
you should bother dealing with VW, was easy, booked an appointment with warranty, they took a few readings, got a phone call from the bodyshop a week later asking to book my car in, very simple.

Even if it means putting oem wheels on and raising it up, or just raising it up, you've only got to get the warranty guy to pass it off, gotta be worth it