Make a donation

Author Topic: Calling all Manual GTI owners  (Read 2619 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Calling all Manual GTI owners
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:20:01 am »
Hi, I just wanted to check if there is a problem with my car or whether they all do it.

If I shift into first or second gear and wiggle the gearstick there is no lateral play at all (feels nice and tight). If I then shift to third or forth gear I get a slight lateral play (maybe 0.5cm side to side). When shifting to 5th or 6th and wiggling the gearstick I get even more lateral play (1cm side to side)

This doesn't seem right to me, can you all check yours please guys!

I should note the play is when it's in gear.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:29:22 pm by cnut »

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Calling all Manual GTI owners
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »
Tiny bit of wiggle here bud, it's not the tightest feeling stick iv had  :signLOL:

My bmw 123d coupe was solid at all times
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
Tiny bit of wiggle here bud, it's not the tightest feeling stick iv had  :signLOL:

My bmw 123d coupe was solid at all times

Me neither my old Audi A4 which was on 120K had a far tighter stick  :laugh:

Is your wiggle consistant on all gears or does it wiggle more on the higher gears?

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »
There is a bush you can replace at the bottom of the gear stick, only cost about £4, you could always try that...  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
There is a bush you can replace at the bottom of the gear stick, only cost about £4, you could always try that...  :happy2:

Already done that mate and it made sod all difference, it was a right PITA to change too  :fighting:

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:22 pm »
Ah Matey !  What made it a PITA to do, did you have someone with you to help you fit it ?

Silver is the way !

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »
The first time I attempted it I didn't. The old one came out fine with a bit of force but everytime I tried to get the new one in it kept popping out as I tried to get the selector to line up with the part at the end gearstick. Cut hands and everything. In the end I had to limp it over to my father's garage with only 3rd gear avaliable and got one of the technicians to do it.

To make matters worst I had to take it out again because technician hadn't connected the spring properly so the stick wasn't self centering anymore. I got my mate to help me out this time but in doing so bent the selector bracket by being too forceful so I had to bend it back using molegrips.

I had an absolute nightmare mate, it's one of those jobs I wish I never attempted! Especially as it made zero difference  :signLOL:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
Sorted the inconsistent wiggle across the gears by resetting the gear linkages. But it seems a bit more notchy and difficult to select 1st so I will be doing again at the weekend.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »
Happy days !  :jumpmove:  Let us know how you get on.

Aks tuning and 42 daft designs have a look on here http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk5?subpart=QuickShifts
 :driver:

Just make sure you order the correct bushes, if you choose to change them...

Silver is the way !

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:29 pm »
Sorted the inconsistent wiggle across the gears by resetting the gear linkages. But it seems a bit more notchy and difficult to select 1st so I will be doing again at the weekend.

My first gear is a little tricky after resetting as well... I have locked the gear box and gear stick in their positions as required but they never seem to come out quite right.

I have the 42DD bushings as well but there is still slack in the changes. Starting to think the selectors in the box are where most of the slack is  :sad1:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:27 pm »

My first gear is a little tricky after resetting as well... I have locked the gear box and gear stick in their positions as required but they never seem to come out quite right.

I have the 42DD bushings as well but there is still slack in the changes. Starting to think the selectors in the box are where most of the slack is  :sad1:

Did you preload the cables before releasing the springs? Basically pull the cables towards you to remove the slack and then release the springs. It did mine again today and it feels far less notchy and first gear engages fine now as well.