Make a donation

Author Topic: How detectable is Revo?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Lovegroover

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
How detectable is Revo?
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »
Picking my GTi up on Saturday with an approved used warranty!  :jumping:

However I want to REVO a.s.a.p
Basically after a bit of reading i can ascertain that (once switched to standard map) a thourough investigation (unlikely by dealer?) of the ECU would show a modified map sitting next to the standard one.
However have people with Revo remaps had succesful warranty work done by VW without being rumbled??

Obviously if you're engine goes bang then they probaly will investigate the ECU but for stuff like PCV vales etc. do they check the flash of your ECU?
Car = 3dr K03 Gti - Shadow Blue Metallic - Monza II's - Cream Heated leather, Sat Nav, BSH True Seal, AmD Remap.
Bike = Honda CBR600FX Superlight

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: How detectable is Revo?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:03 pm »
They dont automatically check for a map that i am aware of. The DV splitting is a common problem on the Mk5 so you should be fine. If this goes. If you get the SPS switch then you can revert back to a revo version of stock for the time its at the dealers.
You just have to accept that modifying your car does bring into play the dealer possibly not honoring warranty claims on the particular parts effected.  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:51:28 pm »
Some dealers are modfriendly and won't say jack about the remap. Others won't touch the even if it's an unrelated issue. Pot luck.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:42:06 am »
get the switch with it and you will be fine  :happy2:

Offline Lovegroover

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:15:45 am »
Yeah I thought that would be the case, just needed some reassurance that I’d probably get away with it!

:driver:

Now to try and get in before the end of the year and get the free switch deal!
Car = 3dr K03 Gti - Shadow Blue Metallic - Monza II's - Cream Heated leather, Sat Nav, BSH True Seal, AmD Remap.
Bike = Honda CBR600FX Superlight

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09:28 am »
This question has been asked so many times now... If dealers wanted to they could probably find out if it was remapped if they had the right equipment. Thing is, most of them don't and none that I have come across have the knowledge to find out how to detect it.

If the car is running massively more power than stock, they might suspect it's been remapped on a test drive, but in my experience most don't even notice then.

I had an S3 (old 225) mapped to 260bhp and had warranty work carried out on the engine on a couple of occasions and I mentioned that I wanted  :innocent: to remap it and would they be able to tell. "There's no way we wouldn't notice it straight away" was the reply from the head of service... after they had just done work on my mapped car and not noticed  :grin:

I have had the following cars mapped that were still under warranty:
Ibiza Cupra,
Audi S3,
BMW 330cd
Impreza Turbo
All have had engine warranty work done of some kind (none serious though) and none of the dealers has mentioned anything about my remaps.

Bottom line, unless you try claiming for a new car due to the engine blowing up, they not going to detect it  :wink:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:24:20 pm »
I'd say the more mods you have the more likely you risk being noticed above others in service or whatever it's in for.